Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive blues - is such thing exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 16:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I still think we are missing an aspect of the original point of the thread......We have all named progressive blues rock bands but my impression was that the thread starter is interested  in progressive blues artists that embody the original bluesmen. I honestly can't think of any since if they were playing in that classic blues tradition, prog or not, would it still be considered blues..?
Nope... and Nope. The OP by awaken77 was:

"Is there such thing like "progressive blues" or "progressive blues-rock", with obvious blues roots, but some prog-alike song structures ?"

Smurph's question about actual Progressive Blues was 4 pages later
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

This is why I mentioned Black Keys, Gary Clark, etc but these guys are not really progressive blues as much as an update on it. And the others mentioned are progressive  blues rock.

Smurph mentioned someone playing ala Robert Johnson but in a progressive manner...is that even possible?

Nope.

Yes.....I realized that Smurph's post was later in the thread...got him confused with the original poster....but as to Smurphs question whch some one else also brought up , nope is the right answer since it wouldn't be true blues anymore.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 18:07
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

That was Ian Wallace and apparently he was quite the comedian.  There's another Crimso Collectors Club disc (I think it's #9 - "Live at Summit Studio's 1972") where he does the entire Monty Python Gumby Flower Arranging sketch for the Colorado radio staff.  Since Monty Python's Flying Circus wasn't broadcast in the US until 1974, the American's in attendance had no idea what this nut job was talking about LOL

Yeah it's the Summit Studios one - must admit I tend to skip the 'Gumby' track. It loses its appeal a bit after the first couple of listens.

Mind you with the comprehensive DGM release schedule it's probably only a matter of time before we get a compilation CD of Ian's stand up comedy routines from various gigs

I'd pay for that!  It's funny but before the KCCC issued those 3 releases from the Boz/Mel/Ian/RF phase, that was my least favourite Crimso lineup.  I loved the version of Schizoid Man on Earthbound but found the rest mostly unbearable.  I just finished listening to the Live in Detroit album and their versions of Pictures, Mars, Formentera, Ladies of the Road, and especially the super slowed down Cirkus were outstanding.  My favourite part is the long lecture from Fripp to audience about how screaming for the old songs and not giving them the chance to play their new stuff is so hurtful, then they pull out the 12 bar "Court of the Crimson King" and bludgeon the crowd in revenge...Detroit never knew what happened LOL   

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 08 2013 at 18:08
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 16:42

That was Ian Wallace and apparently he was quite the comedian.  There's another Crimso Collectors Club disc (I think it's #9 - "Live at Summit Studio's 1972") where he does the entire Monty Python Gumby Flower Arranging sketch for the Colorado radio staff.  Since Monty Python's Flying Circus wasn't broadcast in the US until 1974, the American's in attendance had no idea what this nut job was talking about LOL

Yeah it's the Summit Studios one - must admit I tend to skip the 'Gumby' track. It loses its appeal a bit after the first couple of listens.

Mind you with the comprehensive DGM release schedule it's probably only a matter of time before we get a compilation CD of Ian's stand up comedy routines from various gigs

I'd pay for that!  It's funny but before the KCCC issued those 3 releases from the Boz/Mel/Ian/RF phase, that was my least favourite Crimso lineup.  I loved the version of Schizoid Man on Earthbound but found the rest mostly unbearable.  I just finished listening to the Live in Detroit album and their versions of Pictures, Mars, Formentera, Ladies of the Road, and especially the super slowed down Cirkus were outstanding.  My favourite part is the long lecture from Fripp to audience about how screaming for the old songs and not giving them the chance to play their new stuff is so hurtful, then they pull out the 12 bar "Court of the Crimson King" and bludgeon the crowd in revenge...Detroit never knew what happened LOL   

What, you didn't groove on Ladies of the Road But yeah the live recordings are definitely where it's at with that band. Now it's one of my favourite editions of the group, I think second only to the last 70's lineup.

Mel Collins just rips on most of his solos. He really slays me. To think that the first playing I ever heard of his was on a Dire Straits live album when I was a teenager in the eighties - blowing some nice mellow little ditties, very classy but oh how safe. I had absolutely no idea what he was capable of!

I'd love to think he'd have torn one of Mark Knopfler's ballad numbers apart with a full strength freeform jazz eruption one night of the tour just for fun...still you can lose some lucrative gigs that way
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 17:05

What, you didn't groove on Ladies of the Road But yeah the live recordings are definitely where it's at with that band. Now it's one of my favourite editions of the group, I think second only to the last 70's lineup.

Let me clarify, Islands is one of my fave Crimso albums, but the only thing on Earthbound I love is Schizoid Thumbs Up
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 18:10

Let me clarify, Islands is one of my fave Crimso albums, but the only thing on Earthbound I love is Schizoid Thumbs Up

Oh, I meant the Ladies of the Road live double CD...
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 18:23

Oh, I meant the Ladies of the Road live double CD...

Oh ok.  I never bought it, I thought it was just a reissue of KCCC releases I already have (Live at Detroit, Live at Plymouth, and Live at Jacksonville)...is it a different show?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 03:37
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 04:55
It was a new dayiiiiia yesterday, but by god its an old dayiiia noweeeee
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 22:15
Originally posted by awaken77 awaken77 wrote:

Is there such thing like "progressive blues" or "progressive blues-rock", with obvious blues roots,
but some prog-alike song structures ?

Jimmy Hendrix Experience, The Doors, Ten Years After, Santana  played some long tracks, but they are not "prog" in general sense  (although had some influence to early prog genre )

Hi, not sure if I understand prog-alike song structures quite right. What about Eric Burdon declares war? That always seemed prog in its storytelling qualities to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJVcKJX_L0
leibniz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 12:33
I came across these guys playing in Cumbria the other week - they fit the bill I think! http://undergroundballroom.co.uk/
Split is a great album and Tony McPhee told me he thought of himself as John Lee Hooker with a bit more latitude, so that's progressive blues.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 12:26
There are inverted chord structures in Blues that later made their way into Jazz. That alone opens a new or different method of improvisation within Blues. That particular approach is progressive and can be often heard in the early recordings of Johnny Winter. For example....."Don't Talk To Your Daughter" taken from a concert featured on the remaster of Second Winter. Fast swing style Blues featuring piano soloing can often go outside a Blues scale for extended moments of time. Instead of typical Blues riffs played over a 4 bar Blues structure,   other , more dimensional choices of improvisation are present. I have often observed guitar playing of this nature in the music of Goblin and Camel. Obviously...
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 16:08
Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Procol Harum, early Jethro Tull, and so on, err onto a progressive blues side, but the genre doesn't properly exist because the more progressive it gets, the less bluesy for me. Any sophisticated lyrics, chord progressions, or instrumentation draws it towards prog.

Edited by Xonty - April 23 2014 at 16:09
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 20:25

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Hagoydeshago View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 12:09

Edited by Hagoydeshago - July 27 2014 at 12:09
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 12:12
not sure if someone said them already, but Blind Faith anyone?? or Traffic?
Progrockdude
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 13:46
What about early Allman Brothers Band? Try songs like 'Dreams' and 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed'.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

not sure if someone said them already, but Blind Faith anyone?? or Traffic?

I can get behind Blindfaith but what Traffic tracks are you referring to..?
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

What about early Allman Brothers Band? Try songs like 'Dreams' and 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed'.
Good call..both proggy and jazzy at times.
Haquin
rocknrollcola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 15:19
Early Jethro Tull is a fine example on their first album. Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band. 

Edited by rocknrollcola - August 06 2014 at 15:20
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 15:21
Originally posted by rocknrollcola rocknrollcola wrote:

And the most brilliant first post award goes to...

Well said.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>