Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Hairless Heart" one small but great instrumental.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Hairless Heart" one small but great instrumental.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Hairless Heart" one small but great instrumental.
    Posted: August 11 2011 at 15:42
In 1974, Genesis embarked themselves into recording and subsequently releasing their biggest work to date. "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" consisted of a double concept album that told the surrealistic story of a half Puerto Rican vandal and his quest to save his brother John.

The album yielded many Genesis classic songs and became one of the most revered albums in the band's catalogue. Comprised of 23 songs, the story moves along through musical pieces of various movements and atmosphere. Nestled between the hard-edge "Back In N.Y.C." and the whimsical "Counting Out Time", there lies a short instrumental, "Hairless Heart". The piece is an interesting bit of music structured in the typical verse and chorus form of most pop music. But the music itself is not very typical at all. It has an alluring and yet haunting melody interlaced with soft choral passages. It stands out for the clever placement of its instruments, from the clean notes of the classical guitar to the full sound of a string section.

Click on the above link to read the full article on my blog.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 18:06
Don't forget the other great instrumental on the album...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 21:36
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Don't forget the other great instrumental on the album...

I haven't. "Hairless Heart" has some special meaning to me. It is, in a way, a nostalgic piece to me.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 14:13
I'm not a huge fan of this album, but this little piece is one of my favouirte moments in it. Too bad it's so short.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 10:19
To me, "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" is Genesis progressive masterpiece. Throughout the years many critics have dismissed the entire fourth side of the album as filler. However, I don't personally feel this way about it. The whole albums holds together well as it goes through its bizarre narrative. For those of us who were around when the album first came out, it was almost an event. It was so far ahead of anything else that year salvo for Yes' "Relayer" (which was very breakthrough on its own). 

I actually think that Genesis got better musically speaking with "A Trick Of The Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering" but, "The Lamb" had a rawness to it that the other albums lacked. Less "polished" musically speaking but more attitude and inventive. "Hairless Heart" has the sort of melody that sticks with you without being an annoyance. It builds up as the song goes and achieves and extraordinary atmosphere. 

An interesting thing to note is that when one decides to record a cover version of a song, one must study the original beyond the regular "hard listen". I had to pay close enough attention to be able to separate what was played on the various tracks. Of course, in the process I discovered something very interesting. It seems that each one of us can discern a piece of music in subtle variations. Our brains subconsciously interprets things with our own way of thinking behind it. This can very much affect the way we hear music. Yes, the main notes all are there for all of us to hear but it is what's in the backing tracks that often meld into the piece open for interpretation.

I really did enjoyed making my version of the song as I learned a lot from the Genesis of the time and the way they composed their music. In a way, I see my version of "Hairless Heart"  as a musical essay in studying the music of such a great band.
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 09:24
It's very simple to play for beginner guitarist or keyboardist, basically a D min scale

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 16:36
Originally posted by awaken77 awaken77 wrote:

It's very simple to play for beginner guitarist or keyboardist, basically a D min scale

Yes, but it is not about its simplicity but rather about how brilliant it is as a piece of music. I can't quite make out if your post was just a comment, a put down or a praise.
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 05:28
it was a comment, or a praise

when I started to listening prog, I thought it's "too complex" to play , near on the edge of being "boring technical excercise"  - this is one of nice exceptions, where melody could be (technically) very simple - but effective

p.s. Genesis (in general) is rather "melodic" then "technical" band , they always was more focused on melody and songwriting  ( compare to ELP or Dream Theater ) . and this is good!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 23:18
I love the piece because it's full of atmospheric passages. I remember the first time I listen to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway,the whole album is a magnificent piece of music but Hairless Heart stood out of it because it seemed different than the rest of the album. It is very close to be more of a movie soundtrack sort of piece than something in a rock album. It evokes imagery into the listener's mind. 

As I mentioned before, it was a lot of fun re-recording my own take of Hairless Heart for one of my albums. I wanted to do a little exploring with the synth pads so I created several "layered" tracks of the chord progressions and so forth. 

Genesis was very melodic and less "technical" on their musical compositions but not when regarding to their performance. The band rehearsed for every tour up until every minutia was set in stone and very rearly would deviate from the rehearsed material. From every single note played (mistakes non withstanding), to the singer's intros and banter with the audiences (in the case of Phil). As a matter of fact, that was one of Bill Bruford's biggest issues with the band; No room for improvisation. Bill's playing is all about improvising without a moment's notice. Genesis were fantastic live and, in great part because their rehearsals covered everything very well. Bruford, in turn, had a problem with everything being rehearsed to the point of not living any room for improvisations. It seems a bit ironic because Phil Collins was at the same time in Brand-X with John Goodsall, Percy Jones and Robin Lumley. Brand X seemed to be "loose" in the sense of lots of room for improvisation and musical feedback between its members during performances. I think in reality, the framework was much tighter than (just a listen to some of their songs live and you get how close they could stay to the recorded material). However, I know for a fact that Goodsall can be very good whilst being very" loose" and unrehearsed (I have worked with him on one of my projects). I think when you have the talent level that these guys have, you could afford to be loose and yet still lay down some very good tracks on tape (or hard-drive, etc). By the way, I'm not claiming to have their level of talent but at the same time I feel very fortunate to have worked with Goddsall, Billy Sherwood and having Bill Bruford on the drum tracks.

I agree with your assessment of ELP and perhaps even Dream Theater. However, I'm just not much into Dream Theater these days (don't hate). I find them too heavy into the guitar as is the case with newer versions of pro-rock. I think Joe Satriani has a lot of talent but I can't take much of that in a row. a lot of the new prog-rock bands have a lot of "Satriani-like" guitar riffs and solos. I like keyboards textures and some keyboard solos mixed in with the guitars. Great examples of the balance between guitars and keyboards are bands such as Yes, Genesis (Hackett's beautiful guitar soundscapes sometimes sound almost like keyboards), Camel, Marillion (more so during the Fish era), gentle Giant, etc. ELP was often too heavy on keyboards and Jethro Tull often heavy on guitars but both of those bands made it work brilliantly.

As far as technical goes, I think King Crimson has to be...well, king. The syncopathic guitars and ever changing drums signatures were just amazing and very complex. Each player was so unique and so far away from mainstream that it was almost hard to believe. Tony Levin, Bill Bruford, Adrian Bellew and Robert Fripp gave us some of the most innovating music ever put on record. Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair was a trio of albums that were as Avant-Garde as Peter Gabriel's third and forth albums (which also had Tony Levin on them). Truly brilliant stuff that re-shaped the way modern music was composed, recorded and produced.

At any rate, it is always good to be able to converse in a forum such as this.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 10:46
I fully agree The Lamb is a masterpiece and I see no filler in it at all, even the weird part in The Waiting Room has its place into the context, and the concept is great, with enough ambiguity to leave room for your own interpretation.

And indeed what I find great is the peculiar style of many melodies and arrangements, so different from the standard melodical / harmonic / arrangement treatment of most music which even being complex comes directly from rock or jazz or standard musical theory.

Some bands make their music "strange" or "weird" by using unconventinal and unorthodox theory, the results may be very interesting and rewarding but often hard to digest.

On the other hand, melodies like Fly On A Windshield, The Grand Parade..., Hairless Heart, The Chamber Of 32 Doors, Here Comes The Supernatural Anaesthetist  etc are so different from anything else you hear in most music, and yet they sound melodic, pleasant and immediately musical. This was one of the great gifts of Genesis in those times.

Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:46
Hairless Heart is great and, as mentioned, it works so well in its little spot in the album. I'm not sure that the same can be said for the instrumentals in the second half of the album, Silent Sorrow in particular rather spoils the flow for me.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 22:42
Originally posted by leonalvarado leonalvarado wrote:

...Great examples of the balance between guitars and keyboards are bands such as Yes, Genesis (Hackett's beautiful guitar soundscapes sometimes sound almost like keyboards), Camel, Marillion (more so during the Fish era).... 
Agree with you so much on this comment.  Especially regarding Hackett - finally, someone else who "gets" him....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2011 at 22:31
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

Hairless Heart is great and, as mentioned, it works so well in its little spot in the album. I'm not sure that the same can be said for the instrumentals in the second half of the album, Silent Sorrow in particular rather spoils the flow for me.

I happen to really like "Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats". It has an ethereal sound quality to it. When I was recording my "Plays Genesis" album, I took strong Genesis cues for my original pieces. The idea was to create some cohesiveness among all the musical pieces. You could say that the album can be interpreted as a group of songs from various eras of Genesis along with other songs similar in style that also fit within those eras. For example, my song "Wind & Sorrow" sounds more or less like something that might have started during The Lamb  sessions but ended being finalised during the Wind & Wuthering sessions. "Silent Sorrows" played a major role in inspiring the writing for that piece. Of course, I'm not comparing myself to Genesis personally but one has to put the pieces of my album in the proper context in order to see the relevance of it all. It was titled "Plays Genesis & Other Original Stuff" for a reason. Ambiguity was not on my mind when giving the project it's title. I think the "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" is a great album as it stands even though many people seem not to like the second disc as much.

Should you care to listen some of my "Plays Genesis" album, please feel free to check the links listed below. The first one is the discography page on my website. Here you will also find my other CD which has more original material plus an instrumental featuring John Goodsall from Brand Xon guitars and the drum tracks feature Bill Bruford. The second link is my Reverbnation page. You can hear completed songs on that page (some may require for you to register but that's free and they don't hassle you about things). On the Reverbnation page there is also a free download for a piece from my upcoming project. It is quite different from the rest of the songs and features Billy Sherwwod (Yes, CIRCA) on guitars. You may want to check that one out also to hear the differences. One thing people always get wrong about me are my intentions. I'm not a tribute band or artist. I am a musician who happened to record an album that pays homage to one of his favourite bands, Genesis. I hope you enjoy it.

Post Reply Post Reply