Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Eloy Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Eloy Songs
    Posted: August 12 2011 at 00:25
So far, I have not enjoyed any of their songs as much as the song, "Mutiny,"
which I do think is epic.

What single songs are also very classic to you?  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 00:44
If you are looking for epicness and classicness, try any song from their 1977 album "Ocean": it is both a quintessential progressive rock album and their best album (a title shared IMO with Dawn, from 76, albeit Dawn isn't quitessential, so just begin at Ocean).

If you like that, try Colours, all of its songs could be single releases IMO. Their latest albums is also prodigal in songs that could be singles. However, those two could be called "accessible" so approach with caution.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 00:46
Ocean is my least favourite of the 5 or 6 Eloy albums I have.  Inside is the best.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 01:44
I think I have them all.A selection of my favourites
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 08:49
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Ocean is my least favourite of the 5 or 6 Eloy albums I have.  Inside is the best.

Pig
Smoke
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 11:21
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Pig
Smoke
Inside is definitely their best-all the songs fit together so well, and each song has its own special appeal
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 11:53
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Pig
Smoke
Inside is definitely their best-all the songs fit together so well, and each song has its own special appeal

Pardon my French, I love Inside and it is a great album, but the band has other albums which are simply better.
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilmon91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 15:24
Eloy is a band I need to check out... I heard a song a few days ago, randomly on internet radio, Poseidon's Creation.... A positive surprise! I like the sound. I have to check out Oceans.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 15:57
For me DAWN is the best :

jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean-marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 16:11
Colours, Time to turn and Planets feature most of my favourite songs
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 21:30
My fave 10 songs from eloy span between 1973 and 1983

Mutiny
Midnight flight
Queen of the night
Through a somber galaxy
Pilot to paradise
Heartbeat
Impressions
Castle in the air
Shadow and light
Poseidons creation
Mavil64 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mavil64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 06:48
I very recently checked this band out but from what I've heard Illuminations, Impressions and The whole album Colours in general is amazing. After that I think the album Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes is phenomenal. There wasn't a single song of them in these albums that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.  On the other hand Ocean didn't really grip me all that much. But with the praise it gets it's more likely that I need to give it another listen. Pretty good band really. I'm glad I found them.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 13:49
tough to pick favorite songs for me as they were truly an album band.  But here is a list in chronological order, and with no album having more than one song

Isle of Sun (Eloy)
Inside (Inside)
Return of the Voice (Dawn)
Poseidon's Creation (Ocean)
Pilot to Paradise (Silent Cries)
Child Migration (Colours) *** ok this is probably my #1 Eloy song ever
On the Verge of darkening Lights (Planets)
End of an Odyssey (Time to Turn)
Broken Frame (Performance)
All Life is One (Metromania)
Rainbow (Ra)
Fatal Illusions (Tides Return Forever)
Waves of Intuition (Ocean 2)
Age of Insanity (Visionary)

I left out Floating and Power and the Passion because nothing has really moved me from those albums, and left out Destination and The Vision The Sword and the Pyre because I just think they are awful albums
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 14:09
Poseidon's Creation
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 19:19
Good selection by richardh (although some links don't work for me). To my own surprise I recently put "On the Verge of Darkening Lights" on a mix-CD for my brother to represent Eloy. This is quite a development because for a long time this one didn't particularly catch my attention.
A Broken Frame is also great, as are Through a Somber Galaxy, The Flash, Poseidon's Creation, Illuminations. Ah, and Escape to the Heights is quite cool although I'm not sure I've met anybody else who would rank it among their best.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 19:23
Originally posted by Mavil64 Mavil64 wrote:

I very recently checked this band out but from what I've heard Illuminations, Impressions and The whole album Colours in general is amazing. After that I think the album Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes is phenomenal. There wasn't a single song of them in these albums that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.  On the other hand Ocean didn't really grip me all that much. But with the praise it gets it's more likely that I need to give it another listen. Pretty good band really. I'm glad I found them.

Colours is indeed fantastic. Don't miss the next two, Planets and Time to Turn
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 00:28
^ yeah that's their 'Space Trilogy' I suppose.

Anyone relatively new to them must check out Eloy Live . Those versions of tracks from Ocean kick serious arse. Jurgen Rosenthal is a beast!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 01:20
Eloy is one of those bands that have great epic symphonic songs and great short hardrock aswell. Wich sets them apart from other symphonic spacerock. Their eighties hardrocksound really appeals to me. I love hardrock with spacey synths. Can't for the love of god think of any other band who does that so well. Although 80's Hawkwind (Levitation, Space Bandits) and Saga and Rush come close.

But albums like Planets, Time to Turn and Metromania have a sound and an approach unlike any other band.

They really showed the world that they can be more than just a Floyd/Tull clone.

Their nineties output is a great example of good retro-prog. Especially Ocean 2. It sounds fresh and energetic and can easily match the newer/younger bands.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 03:48

Ocean is my least favourite of the 5 or 6 Eloy albums I have.  Inside is the best.

Pig 
Smoke

Pardon my French, I love Inside and it is a great album, but the band has other albums which are simply better.
What was french about that? (oh I'm replying to a seven year old comment)

Inside is the only album I can stand by Eloy actually. And its actually really good.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 04:34
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Ocean is my least favourite of the 5 or 6 Eloy albums I have.  Inside is the best.

Pig 
Smoke

What was french about that? (oh I'm replying to a seven year old comment)

Inside is the only album I can stand by Eloy actually. And its actually really good.
I think y’all got Inside confused with Floating. They all float down here........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>