Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilmon91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 18:03
It never happens....and by "public places" I'm counting in people listening to music with headphones (where you can hear some of the music), and music from cars running by, or music from an open window that you pass by. It's all predictable.

I heard "Tuesday Afternoon" by Moody Blues in a supermarket. 10 years ago. Not a big deal maybe. But the fact that I remember says a lot.

I heard "Get em out by friday" in a tv program about a car exhibition, 12-13 years ago or so. The music played from a Koenigsegg car stereo. But thats  tv-program, not a public place..

Edited by wilmon91 - August 20 2011 at 18:04
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 19:07
I made the soundenginear at the concert place that i work on play some Gentle Giant from Spotify before the concert started, a aucustic folk music concert, with wine drinkers and nice couples in the audience, i tried to catch glimpses at people when Knots and Inmates Lulebye was playing. they looked like in trance or somehing (might have been shock for all i know)
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 19:16
At a rock climbing place a few miles away, they played Heart of the Sunrise all the way through.  It was awesome.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 19:29
Not entirely prog, but a couple of years back I was working out at a gym lifting weights, and the radio, as always, was tuned into The Voice, which is one of the most popular radiostations here in DK. They play whatever song is the most popular at the moment - and then play it again and again, so you´ll here the same track at least 4 times within the hour... 
I was lying on the bench with a 100 kilos over my chest, when Syd Barret´s No good trying suddenly emerged from the speakers after a Destiny´s Child song, and I just couldn´t contain myself and broke out laughing like the village idiot. NOT a sensible thing to do, when you´re bench pressing I might add. I´ll never forget the look on the lollypop girl´s faces around me!!! They looked like they were in physical pain! One of the funniest work-outs I´ve ever had as well as being one of the most painful...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Willow Farmer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Willow Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 20:13
A few years back I was sitting in class and the teacher had the radio playing. The Gates of Delirium came on. Sadly, I was the only one who knew what it was.
Recent Music Acquisitions:
Johnny Marr-"The Messenger"
Steven Wilson-"The Raven that Refused to Sing"
Fish-"Sunsets on Empire"
Riverside-"Shrine of New Generation Slaves"

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 20:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Not entirely prog, but a couple of years back I was working out at a gym lifting weights, and the radio, as always, was tuned into The Voice, which is one of the most popular radiostations here in DK. They play whatever song is the most popular at the moment - and then play it again and again, so you´ll here the same track at least 4 times within the hour... 
I was lying on the bench with a 100 kilos over my chest, when Syd Barret´s No good trying suddenly emerged from the speakers after a Destiny´s Child song, and I just couldn´t contain myself and broke out laughing like the village idiot. NOT a sensible thing to do, when you´re bench pressing I might add. I´ll never forget the look on the lollypop girl´s faces around me!!! They looked like they were in physical pain! One of the funniest work-outs I´ve ever had as well as being one of the most painful...
nice LOL,
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 22:05
I forgot to mention, a few weeks ago I was at a heath food store waiting on an order at their restaurant section and  once again, something familiar was in the air.  I wasn't quite sure whether it was the original band or a cover but it turned out to be a live version of one of my favorites: I Might Be Wrong   It was played by the band a bit fast so that caused me to question what I was hearing.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 22:54
I will cheat. When my best friend got married, he and I put together a fusion/jazz jukebox for the reception night. Some people actually appreciated the music, so we wondered if they'd like it more if only they weren't told it was prog/complex blah blah.

Edited by rogerthat - August 20 2011 at 22:54
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 00:23
Well a bunch of Yes songs I've heard plenty of times. 

On 88 FM in Israel there's a DJ called Boaz Cohen who has many prog specials every once in a while- it's always good fun to listen to him put prog I don't even listen to anymore, brings back memories and such. 

In Levontin 7- the "experimental" club in Tel Aviv (hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!) of course there's experimental and avant stuff playing before shows all the time and that's good time.

Overall people know their stuff here- definitely still a minority- but a bigger minority than a place like the US.
There be dragons
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 01:58
Originally posted by GypsyJoker GypsyJoker wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

I heard a Pull Me Under in the bathroom of a shopping mall.

Strangely appropriate LOL

Could've been "Undertow."

As long as it isn't Supper's Ready.

And "Pull Me Under" wouldn't be that odd. Its had a lot of mainstream airplay on AOR and Metal radio stations.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paganinio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 05:35
Unexpectedly, a public place in Rhode Islands is also called "Providence"!

So I guess it's not just a Godspeed You! Black Emperor track.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 06:51
Closest example of this for me is a local sports radio station that uses music for their returns from commercial breaks. They regularly cycle through bits of Hocus Pocus, Frankenstein, Roundabout, and Aqualung. Not entire songs, but good, recognizable bits of them. Once in awhile the dj's even have commented on how much they like a certain song.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 08:02
Let's not forget the classic example of NBC (I think, possibly ABC) sports using ELP's version of Fanfare for it's golf broadcasts back in the early 80's. I guess it really pissed off the band because they didn't get any royalty fee for the use as it was considered an arrangement and not their song.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 08:36
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

No, it's also a King Crimson track.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ergaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 10:08
Yep, it happened many years ago but it was so bizarrely unexpected I'll never forget it: I was in some store with muzak playing, and what should come on but a canned orchestral version of "Oh Caroline" by Robert Wyatt.

That stopped me in my tracks, I tell you.....
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 10:28
just remembered something else
         one Sunday morning in 1977, our family stopped at a gas station in Willowdale, just north of Toronto, Canada
           Playing inside the station was what must have been a bootleg live Rush recording from maybe a year ago
            i knew it was a bootleg, because it featured a song on the recent All The World's A Stage album, which i had at that time and was familiar with, but there was something distinctly different about it, maybe the speed of the track, or a bit of extra instrumental music with it that was not on the official live one
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 10:34
Great thread!  

In 1979, I was in Constanta, Romania (Ceaucescu's era) on a tourist bus, and I heard the driver's radio play "Awaken" by Yes!   Very surreal.  

Most recently, I was walking into a restaurant and heard a bit of Jon Anderson's acoustic Yes work on the PA system.  That was very cool, as I was planning on his "Voice of Yes" concert!   Don't know who was programming that music, but thanks!  
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 16:31
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Let's not forget the classic example of NBC (I think, possibly ABC) sports using ELP's version of Fanfare for it's golf broadcasts back in the early 80's. I guess it really pissed off the band because they didn't get any royalty fee for the use as it was considered an arrangement and not their song.

Thank you! This just reminded me of another one-The old CBS Sports Spectacular show used to use ELO's Fire On High as it's theme song. 
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 17:20
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

I've walked on East Hastings while listening the GYBE that street inspired, fit all too well. Not a fun place to visit is the least you could say...
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 18:00
Watchers of the Skies playing at a McDonald's. It's also the starting chords of some Macintosh computers.

Edited by The_Jester - August 21 2011 at 18:02
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 61>