Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 61>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 19:42
Yes!

A cab driver once was playing Pat Metheny. And a couple of months later, the same cab driver played The Doors, we talked a bit, he was surprised I remembered him I think.

Having listened to Cantaloop (the US3 tune sampling Hancock) at a beach with loud speakers caught me by surprise. Ok, it wasn't actual jazz playing in a summer context, but still it was pretty cool.

Can't remember any other, but I'm sure there were some more, prog-oriented moments.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 20:11
I was in a very large sporting goods store a while back & "Hocus Pocus" was blazing on the PA!  That was nice, I always loved that song!  

So, what else could I do but listen to it 10 or 20 times when I got home? 

It's amazing how commonplace prog was in the early-mid '70's, when many bands had AM singles.  Flash, Yes, ELP, Focus, and others come to mind.  Later on in the '80's, we had singles by GTR, Saga, Genesis (urf, sans Gabriel) etc.  
I'm sorry that Bob Fripp never figured out the singles-hit-formula, I think he worked at it pretty hard.  
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 20:53
Just last week, I was sweating my butt off working out on the eliptical machine at the YMCA and - much to my pleasant surprise - the title cut to LLDOB was being broadcast - from a local classic rock station no less!  These are the precious moments in life that one lives for...
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 21:41
Originally posted by wilmon91 wilmon91 wrote:

It never happens....and by "public places" I'm counting in people listening to music with headphones (where you can hear some of the music), and music from cars running by, or music from an open window that you pass by. It's all predictable.

I heard "Tuesday Afternoon" by Moody Blues in a supermarket. 10 years ago. Not a big deal maybe. But the fact that I remember says a lot.

I heard "Get em out by friday" in a tv program about a car exhibition, 12-13 years ago or so. The music played from a Koenigsegg car stereo. But thats  tv-program, not a public place..
just off topic, that is a beautiful cat in your avatar image-looks a lot like my sister's one that i am currently taking care of-we call him Zorro! 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 22:20
Back in 73' I was working at a venue which was very Frank Sinatra. Very wealthy customers were sitting and eating their lunch. Larks Tongues In Aspic started playing and I thought I was going to have a strokeLOL  Then the entrie album played and I was looking for a reaction from the customers, but they didn't seem to notice. Then the DJ announced from the radio station that it was the new King Crimson album. It was really strange. How could these well dressed snooty people eat gourmet food during "Talking Drum' you might wonder? I think the memory is pretty laughable.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 23:32
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Back in 73' I was working at a venue which was very Frank Sinatra. Very wealthy customers were sitting and eating their lunch. Larks Tongues In Aspic started playing and I thought I was going to have a strokeLOL  Then the entrie album played and I was looking for a reaction from the customers, but they didn't seem to notice. Then the DJ announced from the radio station that it was the new King Crimson album. It was really strange. How could these well dressed snooty people eat gourmet food during "Talking Drum' you might wonder? I think the memory is pretty laughable.

This post is pretty mind-boggling!!  I'd think that David Cross's violin screaming would have ripped a few heads off in that crowd!!   
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 23:46
I once heard a Zorn/Frith improv playing at an old folks' home.

:P
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 00:08
I heard Roundabout on the radio yesterday. Although it's not all that surprising, I was pleased that the whole 9 minutes was played and not some ridiculous edit.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 00:17
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

This post is pretty mind-boggling!!  I'd think that David Cross's violin screaming would have ripped a few heads off in that crowd!!   
LOL        That is true. The screaming violin of David Cross. I figure this probably happened because someone in the office was into prog and tuned into an underground Philadelphia station when the owner was out. No one complained about the music and that's what tossed me through a loop hole.
Thommy Rock View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thommy Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 06:30
Shorlty before disembarking from an aeroplane I half asleep realised that the tune quietly playing on the cabin's PA system was an instrumental version of Peter Hammill's "Just good friends". I love this sad song, but it wasn't exactely the most uplifting experience to start a few days holidays.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible" FZ
AbrahamSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbrahamSapien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 07:05
I think I've written this somewhere before, but the bell in our grammar schoolis DT's Wait For Sleep. Pretty awsum isn't it?
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilmon91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 07:13
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by wilmon91 wilmon91 wrote:

It never happens....and by "public places" I'm counting in people listening to music with headphones (where you can hear some of the music), and music from cars running by, or music from an open window that you pass by. It's all predictable.

I heard "Tuesday Afternoon" by Moody Blues in a supermarket. 10 years ago. Not a big deal maybe. But the fact that I remember says a lot.

I heard "Get em out by friday" in a tv program about a car exhibition, 12-13 years ago or so. The music played from a Koenigsegg car stereo. But thats  tv-program, not a public place..
just off topic, that is a beautiful cat in your avatar image-looks a lot like my sister's one that i am currently taking care of-we call him Zorro! 

Cool. My dad got her in -97 when she was 3-4 years old. She must have had some traumatic time growing up because she was a bit afraid and sensitive. But she died 2 years ago from some kidney problem. She was called Kattis Smile (Katt = Cat).

Edited by wilmon91 - August 22 2011 at 07:14
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 10:44
I play some soft prog at my business, specially the ones that go well with relaxing/soft atmosphere music. Some Rick Wakeman, Steve Hakett's classical stuff, etc. People love it and sometimes ask about it.
Garden of Dreams View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garden of Dreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 10:47
Originally posted by AbrahamSapien AbrahamSapien wrote:

I think I've written this somewhere before, but the bell in our grammar schoolis DT's Wait For Sleep. Pretty awsum isn't it?

That is cool. It is such a beautiful song. I'm actually listening to it now because of your post.
Just give it all an hour by the concrete lake.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 11:01
When I walked into the gym this morning they were playing Video Killed The radio Star and when I walked out they were playing a song from Supertramp.  Not sure what they played in between as I had my own tunes playing but I suspect that these were about as close to prog as I am going to hear at the gym.

Edited by rushfan4 - August 22 2011 at 11:28
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 11:24
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

When I walked into the gym this morning they were playing Video Killed The radio Star and when I walked out they were playing a song from Supertramp.  Not sure what they played in between as I had my own tunes playing but I supect that these were about as close to prog as I am going to hear at the gym.

Yeah, I usually don't step in to my gym without headphones on already. LOL

Unfortunately the phones only dampen it so I can assure you, no prog.  Which is a shame because there is some pretty good prog to exercise to.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 22 2011 at 11:26
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Willow Farmer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Willow Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 13:07
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I play some soft prog at my business, specially the ones that go well with relaxing/soft atmosphere music. Some Rick Wakeman, Steve Hakett's classical stuff, etc. People love it and sometimes ask about it.
Nice! Gotta love Hackett.
Recent Music Acquisitions:
Johnny Marr-"The Messenger"
Steven Wilson-"The Raven that Refused to Sing"
Fish-"Sunsets on Empire"
Riverside-"Shrine of New Generation Slaves"

refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 14:21
I cannot match the really good stories here, but still … It’s not exactly an "unexpected public place" since The Walk Inn in Rhodes old town often play music I love, like Beatles, Who, Kinks, Doors, Joplin, Hendrix, Purple, Zep, Tull (mostly pre-TaaB, though) and even King Crimson (Epitaph) and Yes (Perpetual Change, if I remember correctly – definitely a song from The Yes Album, but I must admit that I wasn’t very sober at the timeWacko). Even so, it was a big (and very pleasant!) surprise to me when they put on The Musical Box and actually played the whole song. Quite a treat!
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Verwuestung View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verwuestung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 05:22
I heard Can's She Brings The Rain in a chocolate bar restraunt called Max Brener in Israel..
was quite surprising, though it's not really full on prog song
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 11:06
When I walked into the gym this morning they were playing Show Don't Tell by Rush. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 61>