Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 61>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 06:36

Green Lantern comic made me laugh!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 08:49
Not prog exactly, but last year I was in the Boston airport, and I noticed the music on the PA was "Vanishing Girl" by the Dukes of Stratosphear (XTC side project).  That floored me.  I tried to impart to my traveling companions how f-ed up that was.  Maybe they got it, I don't know.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 08 2012 at 08:50
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
larm73 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 16:05
I was watching Apollo 18 (terrible movie) last night and parts of 'And You And I' were played 3 times during the film.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 16:13
While strolling through a Woolco store in Ottawa, Canada in the late 80s, a video screen was playing Rush doing "Closer To The Heart" from a concert in 1977. (I saw them on that very tour in Ottawa in April '77)
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 16:03
Not sure if this counts, but in the movie Empire Records, you can see the a large Nursery Cryme album cover on one of the walls in the record store.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 16:04
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Green Lantern comic made me laugh!

LOLClap
Clap
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 16:09
on the Food Network show--Chefology  a bio show on Mario Batali----they show of picture of Mario as teenager and there is a giant size poster of the Relayer album on his wall behind himSmile.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 18:44
Just today, I was in a Walgreens and heard "The Whistler" by Jethro Tull! Cracked me up, and I raced home to find this thread again.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Tuck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:27
I heard an edit of "Root of all Evil" by Dream Theater being played during a Nascar TV segment a few years ago. It consisted of the intro and the keyboard/guitar solo.

Although not really in public but still kind of cool, I was a groomsman in my friend's wedding last year, and the bridal party took a limo to the reception hall. Amidst a chaotic packed limo, the groom gets my attention, smiles, and pulls out a CD of instrumental music I made for him a couple of years ago. He put it in the stereo system, and the limo was filled with the instrumental works of Circus Maximus, Shadow Gallery, Impelliteri, Rage, Andromeda, and Pagan's Mind. Was kind of surreal, considering the DJ at my wedding played NONE of the songs we requested.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 14:56
For you Flower Kings / Karmakanic fans:

ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgressiveAttic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 18:34
his is an obvious one... Bowie + Yes:

Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 18:43
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

So I'm shopping at the local Kroger with my wife and I mostly ignore the music played on the store sound system but then I heard something familiar: Sylvia by Focus.  It got me thinking, somewhere out there there's a guy picking music for the Kroger sound system that likes prog and he must have snuck that one in.

So, anyone else have this sort of thing happen to them?

Sylvia is one of those songs that works really well in that sort of context.  It's a great little tune and I don't think you'd find any prog ignorant shoppers that would be bothered by it.  Still I wonder how many shoppers heard what I heard liked it and didn't think any further about it. LOL

It did give me a bit of a rush hearing Sylvia there and I think it may have caused me to buy things. Tongue

I know that radio is not a public place per se, but this is something the public uses. I heard Karn Evil 9 (1st or 2nd impression) and Yes' 'I've Seen All Good People' and 'Roundabout', and I thought "Some people decided to put THOSE in?" And this was, actually, a classic rock station; they played pop and rock, including PF ... but ELP?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 09 2012 at 18:51
DocJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 12:14
Yes, on the business news.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 14:10
'Wish you were here' on the radio in a doctor's secretary's office this morning. Not surprising, since PF is being played regularly on the radio, but unexpected.
odhecaton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odhecaton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 14:20
I mentioned this in a post to a different thread, but in the 1972 Elizabeth Taylor film X, Y & Zee, her character Zee Blakeley puts a record on the turntable, and it's really good prog!  Turns out to be a couple of tracks by Rick Wakeman and Dave Lambert called "Whirlwind" and "Coat of Many Colours" (I have yet to discover them in any other format).
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2012 at 14:30
I was surprised to hear Rainbow's "Tarot Woman" at a great local burger joint.  A major "WTF" moment.  I suppose Dio's death has led to increased interest in Rainbow, but "Tarot Woman" is not exactly what I'd call dinner music.  Certainly made me smile.

Upping the "WTF" factor, I went to see The Darkness on their recent reunion tour and was totally unprepared for them to cover Radiohead's "Street Spirit (Fade Out)."  Very cool.
progresssaurus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progresssaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 02:32
Maybe it is off topic, maybe not.
I am living in Czech Republic (Czechoslovakia sometime) during communist times and I can listen many prog music (from Czech and Slovak, but from East "brotherly states" and from behind "iron curtain" too) thanks to enthusiasts in special radio programmes oriented to not commercial genres. So I can listen for example beautiful Ota Petřina's music with his poetically coded messages alike Pink Floyd with more explicit lyrics Animals.

It is not so interesting that censors not catch all, but if I am looking back, also in main broadcasting very popular "Another Brick In The Wall" sounds in the daytime very often. Maybe, that communists censor interpreted it like strong criticism of imperialism. I don't know. But I can hear "Another Brick In The Wall" in bus, on the cinema, in the shops, in the dentist - just anywhere at the time.

Edited by progresssaurus - March 18 2012 at 02:45
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 07:36
Just as I was getting on the computer I heard an excerpt of "After the Ordeal", done in a different arrangement, being used as the station identification background music on TV.  

-Kehlog Albran
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 09:37
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Just as I was getting on the computer I heard an excerpt of "After the Ordeal", done in a different arrangement, being used as the station identification background music on TV.  

I can totally hear that being used in that way.  You might remember Dixie Dregs tracks from Free fall being used similar on Turner's first channel... 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Weirdamigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weirdamigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 10:51
When I was sitting in a little cafe with a couple of friends beside a popular lake in Belgrade, the radio was playing  some sleezy serbian pop songs. All of a sudden, after the radio went silent for a little while, I heard a familiar tune which was "Late November" by Pavlov's dog. It's either my brain got so tired of the songs on the radio that I started hearing voices in my head or the owner of the place is a proghead. Sadly this kind of coincidence never happened again Tongue
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 61>