Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 01:37
Late night grocery shopping, heard what seemed to be a sort of jazz piano led version of "Roundabout". The oddest thing?  It sounded like Jon Anderson on vocals!  Anyone ever heard of this?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 04:18
Jon And Rick Live 2006 - CD 2 track 11, I suppose.It's not an official release.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Late night grocery shopping, heard what seemed to be a sort of jazz piano led version of "Roundabout". The oddest thing?  It sounded like Jon Anderson on vocals!  Anyone ever heard of this?

I haven't. Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 13:25
There was an acoustic version of Roundabout on one of the YES boxsets back around 2005 maybe.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 02:56
Here's one that just popped into my head. Back in the very early 1990's I remember there was a beer commercial on tv that used "windchimes part 1" from Mike Oldfield's "Islands" album.

Also, in a similar vein I talked to a guy at a Jon Anderson concert once who told me he got into Jon Anderson through his association with Vangelis and only discovered Vangelis because of some of his music that was used in a tv commercial(but I have no idea what commercial). How weird is that? Talk about a roundabout(no pun intended)way of discovering prog musicians. :)

Edited by Prog_Traveller - June 29 2014 at 03:01
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stereolab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 00:49
At a NYC-themed pizza place today waiting for a pickup. Bunch of anonymous ska was playing on the intercom. All of a sudden, the music changed and Rush "Hemispheres" started playing from the start, and stayed that way. I complimented them on their taste and learned that they occasionally decided to humor the "Rush guy" behind the oven...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 21:18
I was just listening to some Mike Oldfield a few days ago, and it remided me of something, though it's not actually of something I heard on public space, but rather something I put on. On my father's store were I was helping him, I had been puting some music that I would consider soft enough, but I tried to keep thing on my taste. So I had been puting "Songs from Distant Earth" from time to time. In one ocassion, there came a customer, it would seem to me, kind of awed, asking what was it that we had on, so I guess I got Oldfield a new fan there. Now, this other part is just speculation, but a few weeks later I found that same album in stock in the most popular local music store, and since they hadn't had that album in stock for a good while, I just got the impression that perhaps that same guy had ended up ordering the album there (since, back then, when someoned ordered something they didn't have in stock, they usually got at least two pieces, one for whomever ordered it, and another for stock).
asherx View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asherx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 20:29
I heard Wind Up by Jethro Tull while grocery shopping a few nights ago. Years ago I was at a small pizza place in Baltimore and the guy working was playing the Aqualung album.
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 11:07
At the gym the other day, forgot my earplugs so had to listen to the dross they play over the speakers.

Very surprised to hear "Owner of a Lonely Heart" come on!
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrognosticMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

At the gym the other day, forgot my earplugs so had to listen to the dross they play over the speakers.

Very surprised to hear "Owner of a Lonely Heart" come on!

That one definitely pops up in a few surprising places for me, as well!

I was in the bathroom of a restaurant on the beach in Maine a few nights ago, and they were playing Al Di Meola! That one definitely caught my ears.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 03 2014 at 11:00
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirillov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 11:48
I was out shopping the other day in a 'Captain Lockheed' T-Shirt. The bloke on the till turned to me and asked 'So you want to be a fighter pilot?'

We then exchanged quotes like 'Is that mascara you are wearing?', 'Little white ones, check' and 'We will sew up the sky with our glemaing needles!' while he rang up my groceries.
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 12:05
Chris Evans again, BBC radio 2.
Played Wondrous Stories a couple of days ago.

I'm sure Chris is a closet prog fan - I've heard odd clips in the background (he once had ELP's Hoedown in the background).
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 13:20
Last week at a public library I saw someone wearing a Voivod T-shirt.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudgenuts64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 02:27
I was at work yesterday, and the radio is at our local classic rock station. While they do play prog hits it's few and far between. Anyway, today I was so happy when I heard I've Seen All Good People by Yes playing, it was the full cut too! Before I've also heard them play the full cut of Roundabout twice, and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight by Genesis (both are nearly 9 minute songs so I didn't expect that!)
Hans il mercante View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans il mercante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 09:38
Here I go, well, several years ago, I went to a restaurant with my dad, it was pretty far from home, at 4pm, in the middle of the road we found this little restaurant and we went in, they were playing In the court of the crimson king album, by the time we sat down, I talk to the wind was playing, they got along until Moonchild finished, it was pretty weird to be sitting in an empty place with that kind of music filling the room.

Last night in the place where I swim, the guy played In the cage, I waited until it ended to start my training again.  pretty awesome if you ask me, swimming with Genesis that loud was excellent 
DBJetsman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBJetsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 19:53
I've heard "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and "Long Distance Runaround" on the speakers in the new luxury movie theater. Then again, it's almost all adults that can afford that place, so probably makes sense haha
"...we hope to give you something far more substantial and fulfilling. All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste."

- Gentle Giant
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:06
Not prog exactly, but prog-related.

Last week on an Air Canada flight, browsed through the audio available, and there was nothing much interesting until I came across Tony Bank's "Six Pieces for Orchestra"
I didn't really expect to see that anywhere, let alone on a plane's entertainment system.

I listened to it, and it was fairly pleasant, but I don't think I'll be buying it - I say that as a Genesis fan, who's favourite musician was always Tony.
To be honest, it was a bit turgid and boring, not exactly inspiring. Disappointing really.

AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 21:37

Another “not prog exactly,” but unusual enough.  Today I heard Down to Zero by Joan Armatrading on supermarket Muzak.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TradeMark0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 05:38
not a public place, but while I was on road trip going through Arizona, we found a radio station that was playing karn evil 9.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 10:39
For the purposes of this thread, I would count a radio station as a public place. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 61>