Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 61>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 10:57
If a public place was playing that radio station, would it count?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 11:03
Been seeing a lot of posters advertising the new Pink Floyd album around town, not sure how well the actual record will be received because I get the impression the expectations are pretty low. Mastodon are playing in Copenhagen here in December, so I've been seeing several posters for that concert too.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 11:54
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

If a public place was playing that radio station, would it count?

Uhnm no, Tongue

On a serious note, Mastodon is from my area...

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 15 2014 at 11:57
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:03
I used to go to a trendy nightclub in Hong Kong that usually played mind-numbing Euro dance-pop, but every night they'd slow things down for slow dancing and always played Conquistador from the Procols.  It always got me off my ass for a turn....but nobody else!  It came to pass that EVERY punter in the joint HATED that number except for me.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Matte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 15:51
Many years ago there was a program on Swedish radio that was aired every week. The intro-music to the program was the beginning of Jethro Tulls Cross Eyed Mary ( the flute section ).
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodnarfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 13:32
I went to see the PT Anderson movie "Inherent Vice" last night and it started off by playing the entirety of Vitamin C (even the sqeualy outro). Safe to say it won me over.

Edited by bloodnarfer - January 11 2015 at 13:39
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 13:39
This morning in a hotel close to Heatrow I was eating my baked beans and the background music was from Opera Sauvage by Vangelis.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 15:24
Once in a bank,they played one of the tunes from 'To the world of the future' by Earth & Fire.
Shake & bake.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 05:20
Time to revive the thread: Earlier this week at the public library I actually saw a Danish children's book that references Frank Zappa, Julie Loves Finn by Maria Helleberg which is a semi-autobiographical story of a teenage girl growing up in the early 1970s. Zappa's one of the musicians the main character's boyfriend listens to.

I actually find it more interesting that the character's also mentioned as listening to the 13th Floor Elevators, since I think very few non-Americans had even heard of that band back then.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudgenuts64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 22:15
I remember back last year at work hearing the general sh*t classic rock radio play Roundabout the moment I walked in. Expected it to be the single edit - was the whole 8 minute cut. Made my day.
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friday13th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 08:01
The new Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys) biopic Love and Mercy shows Brian at a Moody Blues show as they play "Nights in White Satin." Brian then remarks "this is such a great song."
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 04:50
Is Supertramp big in Florida?

'Florida Man Reportedly Dances On Police Car To Summon Help In Vampire Battle'

Authorities in Florida have released bizarre video footage of a man dancing on the roof of a police cruiser in an attempt to summon help battling a "woman with fangs." The song "Rich Girl" by Hall & Oates can be heard blaring from the man's vehicle as he climbs atop the cruiser and begins gyrating to the 1970s Billboard Top 40 hit.The song was followed by Supertramp's "Goodbye Stranger."

King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 02:31
There seems to be not much going on news wise in South Africa as South African mainstream news media platform news24.com is actually "wasting" space and published the full Nomination list  of The 2015 Progressive Music Awards full list.
I guess most of the readers of that site have never heard of 95% of the nominees.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 18:58
This never actually happened...but wouldn't it be funny if you were in an expensive and fancy resturaunt and the Piltmen part of Tubular Bells came on?
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 11:39
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Alamo-relics-returned-5847515.php

Not Prog music but Prog artist.
Phil Collins has donated his extensive collection of items from The Alamo.
If the link above doesn't work just Google Phil Collins Texas collectibles

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 05:08
Not 'unexpected' but I engineered it - I was in a pub in Newcastle upon Tyne (UK), very much a young, trendy person's bar.  Internet jukeboxes had just come out and I decided to select what I thought would be the most unpalatable music to the clientele.  I went with 'Bad Alchemy' by Slapp Happy/Henry Cow.  That killed it!  The barman turned it down while I was left chuckling into my pint.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 22:04
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Not 'unexpected' but I engineered it - I was in a pub in Newcastle upon Tyne (UK), very much a young, trendy person's bar.  Internet jukeboxes had just come out and I decided to select what I thought would be the most unpalatable music to the clientele.  I went with 'Bad Alchemy' by Slapp Happy/Henry Cow.  That killed it!  The barman turned it down while I was left chuckling into my pint.
Beer  Bravo!!  Brilliant!!
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 23:37
I was working at a restaraunt, and one of the employees had a mix of Floyd on. There was See Emily Play and Set the Controls, but then Several Species came. I was scared that it would make customers angry, so I quickly skipped it. Now I wonder what they would think of it...
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 03:43
Ha ha!  You should have left it on.  Back in the 80s, I was assisting on an outdoor stage for a local arts festival in the UK - mainly pop groups etc.  After the last act in the early evening, I slipped Tim Blake's 'Last Ride of the Boogie Child' (off Crystal Machine) on to the PA.  If memory serves, I recall one guy at the back who looked liked he was into it - the rest of the crowd looked confused and drifted away...
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrognosticMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 05:21
Technically not prog music - but I was definitely in Target a few weeks ago, and someone a few aisles over knocked over not one, not two, but THREE glass vases onto the floor. I immediately started singing "The Runaway" by Gentle Giant.

My girlfriend looked at me like I was crazy, of which I probably assured her suspicions as I began to laugh maniacally for a good ten minutes afterwards Cool

Edited by PrognosticMind - July 03 2015 at 05:22
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 61>