Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 09:13
Yesterday I heard Long Distance Runaround/The Fish by Yes on the radio, the D.J said she played it as a tribute to Chris Squire
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 11:46
Another Kroger experience - but last week the wife and I were grocery shopping to the sounds of "The Spell" by Uriah Heep. Demons And Wizards really was outstanding.
Gentle Yes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle Yes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 02:25
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

When CTTE is played at your local Tesco (Wallmart/CoOp/Morrisons & etc.) when buying your pork chops, you will know that we have taken over the world!Evil Smile

When hell freezes over :P
Gentle Yes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle Yes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 02:27
Once we were watching Fringe with a couple of friends and at the end of the episode they put Roundabout.. Doesn't technicaly count as prog in a public place, but my friends didn't know the song so.. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 03:55
^ There's also an episode that has "I've Seen All Good People" and another has a Jon & Vangelis track Thumbs Up
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 04:44
I was at a Genesis concert in 1997 at NEC in Birmingham (a beautiful city!). This was when Ray Winstone, the hardman actor, had replaced Phil Collins in Genesis, as Phil had gone off to destroy his remaining credibility becoming a pop star.

Well the show was a shocker, even Ray Winstone's gruff hardman attitude could not rescue it, but I could have sworn I heard the briefest moment when they played something resembling progressive music.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 03:21
Back in the early '80s, I was at a bicycle race in the eastern county of San Diego, and among all the music over the loudspeakers that day, Genesis' Abacab was played in its entirety. Not exactly deep, classical prog, mind you, but it was kind of an oddity when the average bike race music rivals that of the typical chicken-fried variety one could hear at any large air show across this great country of ours.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 10:37
Completely unexpected. Completely delighted. I was grocery shopping with my wife at Kroger's (a huge regional chain), and I was perusing the imported cheeses when, suddenly, what the hell should start playing on the overhead muzak but "The Witch's Promise" by Tull! I have never heard the song played on radio, let alone a grocery store. We stopped and listened to the whole thing while snacking on various cheeses at the counter. All that was further necessary was a glass of wine.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 17:01
I was with a friend having a meal at Burger King, and playing was ELP's From the Beginning! That made my day.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 04:03
Watched a documentary about the rise and fall of the hippie movement last night which had interviewed members of Amon Düül II and Gong. Interesting how ADII's relation to the Rote Armee Fraktion parallels that of MC5's to the White Panthers. In both the cases it's the tension between people who wanted to be bigger than the Beatles and people who wanted to be bigger than Lenin...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
asherx View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asherx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 21:17
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ There's also an episode that has "I've Seen All Good People" and another has a Jon & Vangelis track Thumbs Up

Tom Sawyer was in an episode of Fringe too.

Edited by asherx - July 19 2015 at 21:18
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 19:11
I remember a few years ago, I was channel surfing and I stumbled upon Fox News talking about the sun, either an event was happening of some scientists were doing a bit of research, and the title they gave for that brief segment was "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun". 
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 07:39
I was in Rio de Janeiro a few weeks ago, and on a square in the centre by accident I saw the Rio live band Astro Venga playing quite proggy stuff, including a cover of King Crimson's Red and using some Pink Floyd material. It wasn't an official concernt or anything, just street music. They are a guitar-bass-drums instrumental rock trio and are remarkable in their own right (although the CD I bought on the spot didn't really give a proper reflection of their quality). In any case lots of passers-by liked them. (There's some of their live stuff on youtube.)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 07:41
Ah, and I got to know Swans in my local bike shop.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 14:29
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Ah, and I got to know Swans in my local bike shop.
Should've been Syd.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 01:35
In Home Depot this weekend saw a guy with a Magma 2015 (I think) tour t-shirt.  Gave him a shout out!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 05:03
Lately when I was at a theme park I saw someone with a Dark Side of the Moon shirt. Really surprised me, as I was wearing such a shirt too!Big smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 11:23
I was at a party last weekend, and a British chap named Richard was wearing a KC "Discipline" polo shirt (celtic knot design).  

It turns out that he was a roady for KC during their LTIA tour in Europe!  We had a nice chat!  
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 04:29

Episode 6  (or 7, not sure) of Season 1 of the ultra-funny TV series  You're The Worst

The characters are playing Sunday Funday, with a bunch of inhabitual things to do, one of which is pick out a vinyl in a B&M store

The main chick picks a Genesis  compilation (a fake one... all white sort of like Three Sides Live)... Her English dude looks at it considers it non-valid because it contains both PG and PC tracks. He asks her to either choose PG or PC, and she says both, not wanting to choose.  Calls the choice lame and starts sulking until she chooses one. Sensing a trap, but not knowing why or how, she refuses to do so...

He finally explains how Collins is lame and mushy (like the mainstream crowds they both loathe) and how Gabriel is so experimental and adventurous (which they both claim to be)... no real discussion on Genesis' music per se, but the subject lingers throughout most of the episode

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 04:42
I was at a party in Copenhagen last month. It was held at this enormous villa where folks with far more dough than I'll ever see were roaming around in their expensive clothes - talking and dancing to whatever it is that's most popular on the radio these days.
Suddenly a big booming bassline cut through the air, like a big tyrannosaurus rex on the prowl, and these fashionable critters looked like frightened seals. The next 6 minutes there was complete mayhem as I struggled to keep peope away from the stereo, from where Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vites was playing.

(I was of course the one who'd put it on)

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 20 2015 at 04:42
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 61>