Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 61>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 05:07
^ LOL Why would they want to stop good music? Wacko
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 03:11
Just got back from a great vacation with my wife in Italy - many parts of Tuscany and Florence mainly.  More than a week ago, we were in a little town in central rural Tuscany, doing obligatory sight-seeing and shopping when we came upon a little bar and local wine vendor.  I was immediately drawn to the shop because - pleasant surprise to my ears - 'Dance of the Moonlit Knight' was moderately blasting for any and all to hear.  Actually, when we went in to the shop (and bought a bottle of local Merlot), it was a Gabriel-era Genesis compilation DVD they had playing.  I would have stayed and watched more of the DVD (maybe even the whole thing), but my wife wanted to move on.  I would say it was an unexpected place to hear such great prog but, then again, we are talking Italy which gave early Genesis their first big opportunity to leave England and tour as an "international" band.  Ciao bella!
starless2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starless2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 21:11
Sadly I've never heard any Prog in public places.
 Although a few months ago a neighbor down the road had a party with a DJ and I heard Joe Walsh's Days Gone By.  Not a very well known song either.
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siloportem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 06:59
Real humans is a Swedish series about human-looking robots existing in current society. In s1e9 someone tears down a poster claiming that it was made by those robots (or something like that).
The poster is the man machine by Kraftwerk.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 18:28
I've got three minor examples:

A few years ago I got selected for jury duty. I was having lunch in a small park near the courthouse and there was a guy busking with an acoustic guitar. He played Wish You Were Here, which was the highlight of my day, so I had to tip him for a job well done.

Back in 2008 I was traveling though southern Germany and stopped at a gas station. There was one of those claw machines that eat up your coins for a chance to grab a toy and it was playing Oxygene IV, which admittedly is JMJ's most famous composition.

Sometime towards the end of the last decade, I was passing by this free outdoor rock concert and noticed the guitarist was talented, so I stopped to listen. Then he started playing a Middle Eastern type tune and recognized Joe Satriani's Moroccan Sunset (even though he is not listed on PA).

Edited by Replayer - October 13 2015 at 00:59
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 19:12
Was watching the ASU-UCLA football game last night, and during a break in play, the home field band was playing, I believe, some Yes number, but damn me as I can't remember what it was. Probably shouldn't have bothered adding to the thread with this lack of info.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 00:14
Is this the performance? I didn't recognize any Yes song, although the part of the performance sounded familiar, particularly in the second half.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 00:17
Sorry, looks like the link was inserted incorrectly. I meant this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L26MBcOWCQ
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 09:59
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Is this the performance? I didn't recognize any Yes song, although the part of the performance sounded familiar, particularly in the second half.

No, the song was heard between plays, and it may also have even been the ASU band playing it. Again, my post was ill-conceived as I knew the song being played was prog, but I'm now unsure whose song it was. I'm thinking of calling the UCLA music department to verify my suspicions (I'm right down the road and seemingly have a lot of time on my hands).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 15:53
Someone with the ASU marching band just returned an e-mail of mine stating that they played Rush's YYZ at last Saturday night's game.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 20:00
Here I am, in McDonald's in Naperville, Illinois USA, and "Siberian Khatru" is playing on the house stereo system!  

Now that's never happened to me before!  Sweet!  

The food still tastes like McDonald's, but at least the music is prog! 
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 05:00
I can remember in the late 80s going to watch my team (soccer that is, for US readers) Notts County and before the game they played 'In the Cage' in its entirety, much to my surprise and pleasure.  On consulting the programme, it was the turn of one of the players to get a profile, including their favourite music.  It turns out that defender David Kevan was a big prog fan.  At the time, the players seemed to favour Luther Vandross, etc.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 10:17
To cstack3: Now I want to eat at McDonald's. To Flight123: How appropriate and fitting to hear In the Cage in an English soccer stadium (please don't call it football). Was it the "Match of the Day"?
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 18:26
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Here I am, in McDonald's in Naperville, Illinois USA, and "Siberian Khatru" is playing on the house stereo system!  

A very "prog-hip" McDonald's indeed! Don't think I can top that one but last month at Big Lots "I've Seen All Good People: Your Move" is playing on the store speakers - Seems Yes' music must be considered 'store & fast-food' friendly!

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 21:58

Perhaps they should have played something from King Crimson's debut... Ian McDonald being a member of the band would only be fitting...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 22:17
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

To cstack3: Now I want to eat at McDonald's. To Flight123: How appropriate and fitting to hear In the Cage in an English soccer stadium (please don't call it football). Was it the "Match of the Day"?

And why shouldn't Soccer be called Football... Soccer is the one that is actually played with the feet, not what americans call football. Besides, Soccer is Football in the whole world, except for USA (and Canada?) (well,at least I think so, and if not then at least in the vast majority of the world).
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 22:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Perhaps they should have played something from King Crimson's debut... Ian McDonald being a member of the band would only be fitting...

Or maybe Supper's Ready. Smile

Heh, this reminds me of a Pink Floyd-themed restaurant I thought up a couple of years ago, Hole in the Wall. The menu items would be:
Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
Wings all the Night [all you can eat chicken wings]
Apples and Oranges
Gravy Strained Peas
Pigs on the Wings [chicken wings topped with bacon]
Pigs (Thee Different Ones)
Sheep
Mystery Meat and Pudding [can't be ordered separately]
Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Dessert
A Saucerful of Sweet Crępes
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 07:36
I was in a relentlessly hipster bar/restaurant (The Village Idiot) in Lexington KY last night and Owner of a Lonely Heart was playing in the background.

A few weeks ago I was in a local Kroeger and Heat of the Moment was being piped through the sound system.

I know, neither is hard-core prog but for heaven's sake this is Kentucky, we'll take whatever crumbs fall from the table.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 07:41
^ Context matters!!
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 10:17
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

^ Context matters!!

Not to mention the level of desperation - or deprivation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 61>