Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 10:37
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I was in a relentlessly hipster bar/restaurant (The Village Idiot) in Lexington KY last night and Owner of a Lonely Heart was playing in the background.

A few weeks ago I was in a local Kroeger and Heat of the Moment was being piped through the sound system.

I know, neither is hard-core prog but for heaven's sake this is Kentucky, we'll take whatever crumbs fall from the table.
Have you had the opportunity to see French TV live

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 18:32
^ well, I have now....
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 18:46
They are from Kentucky, that is why I asked.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 20:13
oh, I didn't realize.  No, I haven't heard of them before.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 00:06
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

The guitarist gets a nice Fripp sound out of his axe!  Thanks, I hadn't heard of them either.  

Glass Hammer is from Tennessee, which is close....

Having worked in Kentucky, I can verify that it is not the most prog-music friendly environment!  
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 01:24
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The guitarist gets a nice Fripp sound out of his axe!  Thanks, I hadn't heard of them either.  

Having worked in Kentucky, I can verify that it is not the most prog-music friendly environment!  
I saw them with an audience of about 20 in a Denver music store...  They are pretty cool, very eclectic (many different styles), and quite humorous.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 03:48
Now in a Liu-jo shop in a McArthur-Glenn outlet they are playing Lucky Man-ELP
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 07:21

Take prog out of that last sentence and it's still accurate.  We have to travel to Louisville, Cincinnati and Detroit to see good concerts. 

Garth  Brooks gave some concerts in Lexington last year. I did not attend.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 07:54
Another shop, Queen compilation.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 11:55

Bluegrass, baby.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 12:06
Blugrass my a... !
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 13:12
Adrian Belew is from Kentucky
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 13:54
Belew-grass.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 13:57
Clap
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 23:25
This was cool : not so much Prog in a public place per se, but out and about the other day I saw a regular customer (he works for the local council) wearing a DSOTM tee-shirt. Nothing special there. Anyway, he came in and did his shopping and asked me if we had something he was chasing, I said to him, since he likes DSOTM, I'd have a good look out the storeroom for him. Got what he wanted, then we started talking WYWH, but he insists that Dark Side is the best, since that was the first album he listened to stoned back in the day. I then mentioned Gabriel Genesis which he likes, ELP which he said were great, and Yes, which he could never get into !! I didn't want to start rambling on about Crimso or Camel in case he wasn't familiar..........
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 07:09
^ The unexpected Prog conversation. That's indeed cool Smile

I just saw a guy on his car listening to KC's Starless at full volume. I thought I was the only one who did that around here ShockedLOL
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 08:28
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ The unexpected Prog conversation. That's indeed cool Smile

I just saw a guy on his car listening to KC's Starless at full volume. I thought I was the only one who did that around here ShockedLOL

you should be in the car next to me when I am blasting Gates of Delirium or CTTE, but for that you'd have to move to Kentucky.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 08:34
^ Turn the volume up, I can probably hear it from here Tongue
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 08:37
not sure it can get any louder but here comes eleven.Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 08:39
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 61>