Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sublime220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 09:24
Saw a guy wearing KC's 'Beat' on a shirt at my daughter's track meet. Coincidentally, I was wearing my 'Larks' t-shirt. We stayed two hours later, talking about who we liked. My wife was not happy. Embarrassed

Edited by sublime220 - October 20 2015 at 09:24
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 09:52
^ What a nice coincidence Smile You didn't have a heated discussion about which KC album is the best? Tongue
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 09:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

To cstack3: Now I want to eat at McDonald's. To Flight123: How appropriate and fitting to hear In the Cage in an English soccer stadium (please don't call it football). Was it the "Match of the Day"?

And why shouldn't Soccer be called Football... Soccer is the one that is actually played with the feet, not what americans call football. Besides, Soccer is Football in the whole world, except for USA (and Canada?) (well,at least I think so, and if not then at least in the vast majority of the world).

The allegation holds that I teach English, so how do you spell football? NFL, and if you're a native of Mexico, you're an American too (north, that is for an added cultural moment here)!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 10:02
Prog-related (sort of) but I was watching NCIS LA and Kensy (Sp?) was wearing an Iron Maiden Killers t-shirt.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 13:09
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Saw a guy wearing KC's 'Beat' on a shirt at my daughter's track meet. Coincidentally, I was wearing my 'Larks' t-shirt. We stayed two hours later, talking about who we liked. My wife was not happy. Embarrassed

I have that shirt bought at the show which I made sleeveless to man it up a little (what a soft album cover). Did the same with a non-band sanctioned UK shirt purchased on the sly in the Santa Monica Civic parking lot during their second tour. Two 30-some-odd-year-old t-shirts gathering dust in a closet against the wife's wishes.

Edited by Rednight - October 21 2015 at 13:11
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 21:54

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

To cstack3: Now I want to eat at McDonald's. To Flight123: How appropriate and fitting to hear In the Cage in an English soccer stadium (please don't call it football). Was it the "Match of the Day"?

And why shouldn't Soccer be called Football... Soccer is the one that is actually played with the feet, not what americans call football. Besides, Soccer is Football in the whole world, except for USA (and Canada?) (well,at least I think so, and if not then at least in the vast majority of the world).

The allegation holds that I teach English, so how do you spell football? NFL, and if you're a native of Mexico, you're an American too (north, that is for an added cultural moment here)!

Well, I don't want to make a discussion where it's not needed, nor do I know how serious you are... however, whether you teach english or not, football still comes from foot and ball, and American football barely uses the feet to do something with the ball (except for a few occasions), unlike Soccer Football that is wholly played by kicking the ball with your feet. I don't see the relevance of NFL as an argument to call the sport football. And actually, I do like American Football better than Soccer... I think it's a harder and more complete game, with more interesting strategies, and so on, but still, that doesn't make me agree with the name.

And obviously when I was talking about americans I meant people of the USA... of course I know Mexico is part of the continent America, and the sub-continent North America, and actually, it rather bothers me when Americans... it's not my fault the name of the country makes it sort of complicated to call you something... unless you are OK with the Gringos denomination that is used around here (not trying to be rude, really). So, in Mexico Football is what you call Soccer, and what you call Football is called American Football around here (meaning, of course, the country, not the continent). And once again, all around the world Football is what you call soccer. However, anyway, Football is often spelled Futbol around here, which of course doesn't mean anything.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 20:26
I'm eating in a Subway (the restaurant) listening to the Vitamin String Quartet play the theme to Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. I don't know if it would count as Prog, as they're more of a tribute band doing classical versions of rock music. Prog Related, I guess. I was actually wondering at first blush if it wasn't some Univers Zero I hadn't heard.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 23:50
I know DSOTM hardly counts, but I heard Money and Breathe consecutively on the classic rock channel about a week ago.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 08:40
So I just watched TV and then the commercials came, so I didn't pay a lot of attantion to it. I heard some pop song that I'd heard somewhere already and suddenly I heard the lyric: TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY SCHIZOID MAAAAAN!
This is the ad:

Apparently it's from this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE

Edited by DDPascalDD - November 19 2015 at 08:40
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 08:41
^ Yeah, I saw that commercial some months ago, totally unexpected Tongue
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 08:42
Yes, I noticed that last night on ITV as well!  Hey, I gotta buy some - they are obviously aiming at the 50+ demographic!
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 08:47
The second episode of Ash Vs. Evild Dead, the ending was with ELP' Knife Edge. Big smile
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 15:22
I was waiting in line at the bank today, and I heard the lovely, lush sound of Bob Fripp's distorted Les Paul!  It was David Bowie's "Heroes" on the radio!  Amazing tone Fripp had!

From Wikipedia: King Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp generated an unusual sustained sound by allowing his guitar to feed back and sitting at different positions in the room to alter the pitch of the feedback (pitched feedback). 

Edited by cstack3 - November 21 2015 at 00:24
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 23:56
Earlier today, I was eating at a restaurant that plays classic rock and they put on Roundabout. Thumbs Up
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 00:48
In the new X-men trailer, there is a scene in which a dude has a Rush t-shirt on.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 00:00
Speaking of Rush, the local classic rock radio station played Limelight today.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 11:05
Oh, what a stretch.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 21:41
Reading a Rolling Stone Magazine, saw a collage of classic albums including Court of the Crimson King 😃

Also, last summer I saw a man with a KC shirt and yelled across the street to him I was so excited
DKoshino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKoshino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 05:46
When I walked in front of a car workshop (is that how it's called in english? I don't know lol), I heard 2112. I know Rush is quite popular, considering how Brazil loves old rock music, but I was surprised for being that song in particular.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 14:56
Yesterday I watched Four Flies on Grey Velvet, an Italian crime/horror film from the early 1970s where the main character is the drummer in a rock group whose sound is obviously patterned on Mk2 Deep Purple.

Also, in the protagonist's house a LP of Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die album is clearly visible at several key scenes.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 61>