Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 15:03
Originally posted by DKoshino DKoshino wrote:

When I walked in front of a car workshop (is that how it's called in english? I don't know lol), I heard 2112. I know Rush is quite popular, considering how Brazil loves old rock music, but I was surprised for being that song in particular.

in America we would say a car repair shop.  But everyone understood car workshop.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudgenuts64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 17:04
Netflix has a new animated series called F is for Family that takes place in 1973. In the second episode the teenager has a pair of headphones on listening to "Castle of the Elfin King" which at the chorus sounds nearly identical to the The Court of the Crimson King. Man that fake title sounds like an awesome album though

EDIT: Later in the car he's playing it on an 8-track and tells dad "Doesn't that just rock your soul?" "I gotta tell you I just don't get it" "Dad, you can't understand progressive rock for the first time, you gotta keep listening!" "When you get to be my age, you can recognize bullsh*t right out of the gate".

Damn, that's harsh! Though I imagine the older members here probably could relate a bit :P

Edited by fudgenuts64 - December 22 2015 at 17:27
Badabec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badabec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 20:27
A few weeks ago there was a soccer documentary on german television and they played excerpts from Gentle Giant's "An Inmates Lullaby".
Mesmo a tristeza da gente era mais bela
E além disso se via da janela
Um cantinho de céu e o Redentor

- Antônio Carlos Jobim, Toquinho & Vinícius de Moraes - Carta ao Tom 74
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 18:19
Right now. Jethro Tull's Bourée is playing through the overhead speakers at our local Sears store.

In my hometown that I'm currently visiting outside Buffalo, NY, that is. Not OKlahoma.

Edited by HackettFan - December 26 2015 at 18:24
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 11:57
Had the radio going on the way back from lunch.  It's a Cleveland station whose slogan is "We Play Anything" - to which I would add "for sufficiently small values of 'anything'".  Anyway, they were doing some promos of local events, and one of them was as follows: "Or go see Montreal’s The Musical Box tonight at the State Theatre! For almost 20 years, they’ve been recreating Genesis concerts, and tonight they will perform the Black Show from 1974!"  Which is interesting to hear on a station that doesn't realize Genesis existed before 1978.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 12:12
The single Brain Salad Surgery at a San Diego airshow back in the mid-80s.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 15:17
From today's Daily Kos:
 photo 21st_zpstj3hckgq.png

Edited by emigre80 - February 06 2016 at 15:18
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 15:21
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

From today's Daily Kos:
 photo 21st_zpstj3hckgq.png
Well, there's the pole, hence polar bears, I suppose.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 17:03
Not exactly prog but close.

On an episode of The Simpsons, everyone was going to church. Bart was passing out hymns, and it was In-a-Gadda-La-Vida by Iron Butterfly. Everyone sang it, and then 17 minutes later, the woman playing the organ finished the song and passed out. Very funny one!

Oh yeah, The Moody Blues were on another episode of the Simpsons too
User Banned for this Post
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 16:02
In a McDonald's fast-food outlet in Chicago suburbs, they are playing "And You and I" on the house stereo!  

This is the second time this has happened to me in a McDonald's franchise!
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 08:36
Not a public place, but a few weeks ago I pulled King Crimson's Islands from a stack of tossed CDs of an acquaintance who has a rather naïve musical taste unrelated to prog, and whom I never suspected that she could have such an album in her collection.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 23:52
Chris Squire made an appearance at the 2016 Grammy awards!  Very classy! 

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 07:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Chris Squire made an appearance at the 2016 Grammy awards!  Very classy! 

WHAT!!!! HOW COULD I MISS THAT?!?!?!?!
Progrockdude
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 10:24
I don't think you missed it, it was probably just part of their "people that croaked this year" annual tribute.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 07:50
^It was, I saw it. Only good part of the Grammys.

On another reference, yesterday in my history class we learned about the seed drill inventor Jethro Tull. Sadly, my teacher never mentioned the band and when he said "A man named Jethro Tull" I almost yelled "It's a BAND! Not a person!"
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 19:01
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

^It was, I saw it. Only good part of the Grammys.

On another reference, yesterday in my history class we learned about the seed drill inventor Jethro Tull. Sadly, my teacher never mentioned the band and when he said "A man named Jethro Tull" I almost yelled "It's a BAND! Not a person!"

I recall (I think) that this very thing happened in Independence Day.
smoledman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoledman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 13:21
At the tire garage they had on the classic rock station pumping out "The Animals" performing "House of the Rising Sun". I don't think I've ever heard a prog rock station on in any public place ever. 
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 10:02
At the Who concert in Louisville last night, Owner of a Lonely Heart and Starship Trooper were played during the intermission, and Pete Townsend mentioned Keith Emerson after one song.
Also, I was wearing a Yes sweatshirt, but for anyone that knows me that's hardly unexpected.

Edited by emigre80 - March 13 2016 at 10:03
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 11:07
^I'm seeing The Who in a few weeks here, I hope he mentions Keith again.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 15:27
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

^I'm seeing The Who in a few weeks here, I hope he mentions Keith again.

it was a great show, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. See my show comments on the RIP Keith Emerson thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 61>