Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 22:42
On April 5th, the classic rock station commemorated Cozy Powell's passing by playing Emerson, Lake and Powell's Touch and Go, while also dedicating it to Keith Emerson.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 17:13
Was watching college baseball (Mississippi State at Auburn) on ESPN today, and the organist was playing Genesis' That's All between innings. The announcer misidentified it as being a Phil Collins song, and all I could think was, "Brother, you don't know the half of it."
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
FroggyGlenn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FroggyGlenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 00:51
Not really a public place, but was watching the Astroboy cartoon (1980 version) with the kids, and Mysterious Forest by AIN SOPH started playing in key parts of the episode. I have a youtube video here with proof:

Around 1:30 mark the intro for the title track plays for a bit, also around 3:00 mark it starts playing some parts of Natural Selection on the same album. Then at 21:42 plays another part of the title track, and badly damaged. Wild huh? Well, i guess to be fair they both came out in 1980, but still a surprise.

The title track:

Edited by FroggyGlenn - May 16 2016 at 01:05
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 08:51
At work yesterday, I saw a man with a Brain Salad Surgery tattoo
User Banned for this Post
Enchlore View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchlore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 13:18
"21st Century Schizoid Man" was playing on the speakers in a marketplace I went to this week. I was probably grinning like an idiot because I recognized it.
If you like King Crimson, come over to the KC Discord server! https://discord.gg/6AYBxBD
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 04:21
I heard Black Mountain's "Mothers of the Sun" on the radio this morning Cool
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 15:59
In a Chinese restaurant and Call Any Vegetable by Zappa just came on!
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrapin Station Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 07:06
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Was watching college baseball (Mississippi State at Auburn) on ESPN today, and the organist was playing Genesis' That's All between innings. The announcer misidentified it as being a Phil Collins song, and all I could think was, "Brother, you don't know the half of it."
The New York Mets organist is a prog, early hard rock, etc. fan  During pregame preparations--you know, an hour or so before a game, I've heard him play (on different occasions--I go to a lot of games) at least parts or shorter arrangements of ELP's "Karn Evil 9", Yes' "Starship Trooper", Jethro Tull's "Nothing Is Easy", Deep Purple's "Woman from Tokyo", Uriah Heep's "Gypsy", Iron Butterfly's "My Mirage" and others.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:58
On a roof top while I'm installing Solar panels.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 19:07
Well I found something that was unexpected. Not the place (the Internet and it was a Pink Floyd song...) But, as I was looking for odd things Floydian I found a cover that was... gulp, genuine 24 carat disco cover of Welcome To The Machine. Can't find it now but... that was unexpected. It was a bit like a road smash. Appalling but one can't help but not stare (hear) in fascinated horror.

For EDM fans there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45I-Uf2PBU
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 13:44
Recently saw a remix of Queen's Flash Gordon theme ("Flash! ouahaaaahhh...") for a TV ad of the video game "Clash Royale" TV.

Easily one of the most disturbing ad I've ever seen...
Do you have it in your country too?

Edited by Modrigue - August 15 2016 at 13:45
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 18:26
Ok, I'm literally freaking out right now. Watching the show Mozart in the Jungle, which is a comedy about musicians in the New York Film Harmonic. And two of them are looking through he Oboist (and also antagonist's) record collection. She just said "I also have an extensive collection of prog rock".
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 02:49
Episode 4 Series 1 Goodnight Sweetheart. Uni dance hall, ultra banal music plays. Background poster - Deep Purple - Battle Rages On logo: Come Hell or High Water tour. Very apt for a time travel comedy...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 03:49
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Well I found something that was unexpected. Not the place (the Internet and it was a Pink Floyd song...) But, as I was looking for odd things Floydian I found a cover that was... gulp, genuine 24 carat disco cover of Welcome To The Machine. Can't find it now but... that was unexpected. It was a bit like a road smash. Appalling but one can't help but not stare (hear) in fascinated horror.

For EDM fans there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45I-Uf2PBU
Probs from the album Rosebud - Discoballs.
No, just checked it.
.......hmmmm, interesting.

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 27 2016 at 03:53
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 03:59
At a Gothic party, someone put Zappa's Apostrophe. That changed everything ! 
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 17:54
I heard ELP's Karn Evil 9 - 1st Impression - Part 2 playing on the muzak at the local grocery store today. I have heard a few things there over the years but this beats them all.  Clap
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 18:02
^Is that to say you heard the ELP original amongst the muzak or a muzak version of the song? I gots to know.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 18:14
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

^Is that to say you heard the ELP original amongst the muzak or a muzak version of the song? I gots to know.

It was the real deal. I guess it technically wasn't Muzak but a similar type service that plays mostly 70s and up pop and rock. I have heard things like Invisible Touch played before. Today it seemed to be more oriented to 70s era rock.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 00:16
This morning I saw an episode of Arthur that featured the experimental music ensemble, the Bang On A Can All-Stars, who had turned everyone in Elwood City into avant-prog fans, except for Binky of course!

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 02:19
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

This morning I saw an episode of Arthur that featured the experimental music ensemble, the Bang On A Can All-Stars, who had turned everyone in Elwood City into avant-prog fans, except for Binky of course!

Cool LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 61>