Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2017 at 10:44
There's a website I was checking out recently for an stereo dealer near me. The track playing on the site was the instrumental section(after the wind)of Pink Floyd's "shine on you crazy diamond." 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 21:05
Kind of a stretch but I heard "paper late" tonight at the grocery store. You don't really hear that much anymore. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 07:30
Maybe a bit off topic, but I watched an episode of Endeavour Morse called "Nocturne" last night.  This episode contained lots of references to the story behind The Musical Box: Victorian dresses, a name (Blaise-Hamilton), a croquet mallet, a ghost. No prog to be heard here, only Chopin's opus 9 no 1 instead of Old King Cole.

I am very sure that the writer was at least as inspired by The Musical box as by Colin Dexter's novels.

The episode can be seen on the internet (in the Netherlands anyway) at www.npo.nl/detectives until next Wednesday.

Edited by someone_else - February 10 2017 at 07:31
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 09:19
I mentioned this in another thread a couple of weeks ago: Comedian Harry Hill's latest radio sit-com, Life on Egg, where he is the governor of a maximum security prison on the fictitious Scottish  island of Egg (not to be confused with the real Scottish island of Eigg), features Amon Duul II's Yeti as its theme tune.
What?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 19:03
For the first time in my life, I heard Triumvirat in an external environment, today, at a local record store, Ods n Sods. And it was Mister Ten Percent, no less! I have never even heard them on the radio, before, so this made my day, big time.

Edited by presdoug - February 25 2017 at 19:05
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 05:17
Chris Evans played Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Joybringer this morning on BBC Radio 2 - that was unexpected!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 08:10
Was that during the Slim Whitman Hour? A British band on the Beeb - who would have thought?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 12:50
Last night at a grocery store I heard "the smile has left your eyes" by Asia. This took me by surprise because I had never heard that song on the radio before let a lone in any public setting. Usually the only song you hear from "Alpha" is "don't cry" and even that one I haven't heard in a while. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 20:16
Today's Ken Burns' documentary on Vietnam Nam, I think it's episode 4, had Genesis' The Ravine playing in the background a little shy of the end.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 02:26
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

There's a website I was checking out recently for an stereo dealer near me. The track playing on the site was the instrumental section(after the wind)of Pink Floyd's "shine on you crazy diamond." 

The Weather Channel must be considered a public place, mustn't it?

lol

Heard both Shine On Pt. 1 and Wish You Were Here as the accompanying music for the local forecast...

...about 4, 5 yrs. ago...
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 05:28
At a 99 Restaurant last night. Their music was.......interesting. Imagine Dragons, then Cheap Trick, then Bruce Springsteen, then Shawn Mendes and Ed Sheeran Pinch Very odd selection. A mix of current pop singles and classic rock. 

Then, as we are leaving, Point of No Return by Kansas comes on. 

Edited by Jeffro - September 21 2017 at 05:29
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 08:11
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

The Weather Channel must be considered a public place, mustn't it?

lol

Heard both Shine On Pt. 1 and Wish You Were Here as the accompanying music for the local forecast...

...about 4, 5 yrs. ago...

The weather channel? Well, it's certainly unexpected. Lol. I wouldn't take the thread title too seriously. If you heard "the advent of panurge" on tv I would think that would be ok to mention. Lol. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 21 2017 at 08:13
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 12:16
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Today's Ken Burns' documentary on Vietnam Nam, I think it's episode 4, had Genesis' The Ravine playing in the background a little shy of the end.
That's amazing, and thanks to the producers of this great documentary for the nod towards Genesis.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 17:27
Apparently there's some documentary about military airplanes or something that features music by Rick Wakeman. I've been trying for a long time to figure out what it is. If anyone knows please mention it here. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 16:50
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

That's amazing, and thanks to the producers of this great documentary for the nod towards Genesis.
Funny. I'm recalling now that the co-director with Ken Burns was on NPR last weekend. One thing she was emphasizing was that all the music in the movie was concurrent with the specific time they were focused on. They were clearly way off, however, in this case. They probably didn't count it as mattering since it wasn't Pop. I shouldn't register any complaint. I was happy to hear it.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Mr10percent View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr10percent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 05:19
Many, many years ago the tv was on and I heard an instrumental portion of an eloy song. O looked up as I had not been paying attention to the tv and it was a commercial for a car dealer.

Also, once at a rennaisabce fair I was walking along and heard horizons off the foxtrot album. I followed the sound to a roving musician. She played the song perfectly but that was apparently the only prog tune she knew.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 06:47

I wonder how many people get it?
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 09:33
Wayyyyy, way back ... 1979

The PBS affiliate in the Phoenix area

...don't remember what their call sign was

...signed off not with The Star Spangled Banner but with Floyd's Mudmen

(Obscured By Clouds)

And I love that song.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 19:12

Apparently there's some documentary about military airplanes or something that features music by Rick Wakeman. I've been trying for a long time to figure out what it is. If anyone knows please mention it here. 
The same can be said about some documentary on the BBC about trains that Hackett supposedly provided the music for a decade or two back. Read that somewhere once but never followed up on it. Would any of you English men care to weigh in on this to verify it?
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 19:10
Earlier this week I was walking by someone's office at work and heard a few seconds of The Rush Limbaugh Show playing just as he was coming up to a break. Then followed about one full minute of Turn it On by Genesis. I don't think I have ever heard that song played over any radio station, then or now. Very unusual.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 61>