Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 20:09
I remember a long time ago hearing part of a Mike Oldfield song in a beer commercial. This was around 1990/91(no it wasn't something from Tubular Bells). It was part of the opening track on his Islands album(instrumental). No I don't remember which beer commercial.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 05 2017 at 20:10
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 02:37

On the BBC website this morning, I came across the “Ultimate Harry Potter Quiz”.

Question 7:

Which of these books appears on the reading list for students at Hogwarts?

1. “Perpetual Change” by Moby Grape

2. “Intermediate Transfiguration” by Emeric Switch

3. “The Return of the Giant Hogwart” by Hermiston Bruce

4. “Larks’ Tongues in Aspic – A Cookery Primer” by Emerlist Davjack

Do you think the author is a prog fan, by any chance?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 04:35
I heard "Yoo doo right" by Can on an independent college station the other night while driving my car. I'm not sure if they played the whole thing or not since I left my car to do a little bit of shopping. I think I heard it before on that station and they didn't play the whole thing then and this time when I got back into my car several minutes later something else was on. Still, it was cool to hear it while I was driving.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 23 2017 at 04:37
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 15:37
Have heard different renditions of Heroes on two commercials during the World Series, but that song's really not prog so why mention it?

Edited by Rednight - October 30 2017 at 15:38
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 22:11
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Have heard different renditions of Heroes on two commercials during the World Series, but that song's really not prog so why mention it?

Fripp's guitar work is sublime!  When I saw King Crimson in concert, they did "Heroes" as an encore.  Very nice!  
(I would have preferred "Fracture" but oh well, I take what Fripp offers!)
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 08:15
^Damn my ears for forgetting about Fripp's involvement.

Edited by Rednight - November 01 2017 at 08:15
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 13:28
There's one I forgot about but it might be stretching the definition of prog just slightly(although still an artist on this site). Sometime over the summer I was in a book store(in the US) and I saw a guy wearing a Jean Michel Jarre shirt. I talked to the guy for about half an hour and it turns out he's maybe a moderate prog fan(moderate because he didn't seem to know much about the current scene). We talked about how JMJ holds records for largest concert attendances worldwide while still being relatively unknown in the US. Anyway, it's not every day you see a guy wearing a shirt like that. I might not mention it if it was a Pink Floyd  shirt or Rush shirt(maybe a Yes shirt since you don't see many of those these days) but this goes beyond that. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 13:46
I also forgot to mention that I once heard a snippet(maybe ten seconds of it(one of the SH guitar parts) of "dancing with the moonlit knight" on NPR in between segments earlier in the year.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 19:09
The featured Wikipedia article on the 19th was the one on Freak Out!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 10:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I also forgot to mention that I once heard a snippet(maybe ten seconds of it(one of the SH guitar parts) of "dancing with the moonlit knight" on NPR in between segments earlier in the year.

I also heard one with "peaches en regalia." 

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 22:50
This video portrays an old Tirol ritual involving beings that drive away the ghosts of winter....does anyone else hear "Lark's Tongues In Aspic - Part 2"?? 

Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 03:06
[QUOTE=cstack3]This video portrays an old Tirol ritual involving beings that drive away the ghosts of winter....does anyone else hear "Lark's Tongues In Aspic - Part 2"?? 

They remind me of some Warhammer armies or cheap Doctor Who aliens. The Tirollans, allies of Sontarans!

Edited by Blaqua - December 07 2017 at 03:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 10:53
Actually,  the rhythm is similar so I see what you mean.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 07 2017 at 10:55
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 11:49
I think a prog fan hijacked the classic rock satellite radio last week. ('Stingray Music' which seems to be the new big thing in Canada. You get it through satellite TV and there's different channels with different playlists).
It started out with Jethro Tull's Hunting Girl then possibly Van Der Graaf Generator (only evidence I remember being a ~2 minute sax solo), some kinda psychedellic blues thing then Pink Floyd's Welcome to The Machine.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 21:07
Last weekend, during the day when the tourists were all walking around, some guy was playing Close to the Edge outside on the sidewalk at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 22:56
Tonight, the American comedian Stephen Colbert made a joke about starting a new prog band and sang a couple of bars of "Roundabout!"  Great timing, as this is the 45th Anniversary of the release of "Fragile," one of Yes' best LPs!  

Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 22:38
I was at a grocery store last weekend and heard a proggy organ riff followed by a Minimoog solo on the in store speakers. The refrain reminded me of Simon & Garfunkel's Cecilia. I recognized it as a song that I had heard before in the same place so I jotted down a note about the lyrics to look up the song later.

It turned out to be Styx's Fooling Yourself. The only other song by Styx I was familiar with is Come Sail Away from the same album, The Grand Illusion, which I had heard on local a classic rock radio station before.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 02:51
Whenever I hear glass break in public, my mind instantly goes to the intro to "The Runaway" by Gentle Giant Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 11:26
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

At my son's middle school graduation several years back, a classmate of his performed a section of Yes' The Revealing Science of God for the crowd on acoustic guitar which pretty much left it dumbfounded, apparently not knowing what the hell they were hearing. It just about brought a tear to my eye.
Had to change this as while I listened to Tales From Topographic Oceans this morning, I discovered what the kid really played on that distant afternoon was the acoustic break to The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun).
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 20:30
I don't hold with no proggin' in public,
never mind some guy comin at me tryin' to put his prog in no unexpected place! DAYUM!!!

What kinda kinky-ass forum IS this, anyhow?
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 61>