Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 61>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruel angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2021 at 12:30
My gym plays more Rush than any other band.
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 09:05
At a tiki bar in Las Vegas yesterday, they played recorded island-style music in the background. One song was half over before I realized it was a cover of "Wish you were Here". I prefer the original. 😀
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 09:12
^Did it sound like this?

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 10:33
Got a kick out of an old episode of Mission Impossible where the team was in some made-up, Eastern European, totalitarian-state of a country (of course). Peter Graves and Peter Lupus were posing as utility workers with the word "Kraftwerks" emblazoned across the back of their overalls and on the side of their truck.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 14:35
I didn't expect to hear prog in a web toon from 2006.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 14:43
^Wow, Pavlov's Dog. That's pretty cool.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 20:30
This isn't really prog but I'm going to mention it anyway since it's relatively obscure. I noticed there's a tv commercial with some remade (probably just for the commercial)version of "this will be our year" by the Zombies. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 22 2021 at 11:58
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 21:26
The craziest one I ever encountered was hearing Time Flies by Porcupine Tree at Disneyland... really wish I recorded it back then, because I was pretty stunned
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 17:13
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

The craziest one I ever encountered was hearing Time Flies by Porcupine Tree at Disneyland... really wish I recorded it back then, because I was pretty stunned
That's truly prog in an unexpected public place. Thanks for sharing it.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 09:06
Was strolling by the bar of a private club near Malibu, Calif. yesterday when I heard the song Wish You Were Here. Sure, now an FM staple, but the song and the venue were at odds with each other. Also was watching a TCM presentation of the '80s Brit crime film Mona Lisa and Genesis' In Too Deep in nearly its entirety was used during a key moment in the flick. Yeah, yeah, not prog, but it was good to hear Collins' singing in such a great film.

Edited by Rednight - August 05 2021 at 11:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 14:05
I'm currently trying to brush up on and improve my English grammar by taking an online course and while watching the video on using quotations for titles one of the instructors mentioned that Free Hand by Gentle Giant is one of his favorite albums and used the song  "on reflection" as an example of when to use quotation marks in a title. That definitely took me by surprise. In a previous lesson on italics he mentioned the album Hounds of Love by Kate Bush. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 11 2021 at 12:03
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 21:21
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

When CTTE is played at your local Tesco (Wallmart/CoOp/Morrisons & etc.) when buying your pork chops, you will know that we have taken over the world!Evil Smile

Tesco operates, while your still alone in o-hell-o, see the deadly nightshades grow lazland. 

Edited by SuperMetro - September 20 2021 at 21:23
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 05:27
Just watched 'The Wedding Guest' (2018) - Camel's 'Mystic Queen' is played - quite extensively - at key moment in film.  Given the particular sequence is set in Pakistan, it did not seem incongruous!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 05:30
first episode of season 3 of Britannia features Murder by David Gilmour from About Face
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 11:38
In Italy I listen to a talk radio show every morning (Uno Nessuno Cento Milan on radio 24 - il sole 24 ore for the Italians). I really want to have talk, at least for language reasons. Over 2h of show they maybe play two pieces of music into which they throw funny and poignant snippets from calls by listeners. Today one was the 21st Century Schizoid Man.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 10:12
Was in the local Ralphs supermarket this morning and heard Genesis' Land of Confusion blaring away in the vegetable section.
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 16:23
That is not really prog rock. It is just a song by a former prog rock band. I hear Land of Confusion everywhere. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 09:14
^For that particular album, it was prog rock.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 09:46
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Was in the local Ralphs supermarket this morning and heard Genesis' Land of Confusion blaring away in the vegetable section.

So you ended up making a ratatouille?

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 11:55
^No, a nice garden salad was the order of the day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 61>