Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 10:14
This is one of the most beautiful things that ever happened to me. Coming back from the beach I was listening to Relayer in the car with my brother and my father, and we stopped at a traffic light. A white and luxurious car pulls up next to us and the music is very loud. We turned down the volume to see what was playing and you won't believe what it was.... That's right, Relayer! Here in my city there is almost no progressive rock movement, everyone listens to reggaeton and music with no spirit. The chances of that happening are very slim. It surprised us and brought a big smile to our faces.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2021 at 20:21
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

This is one of the most beautiful things that ever happened to me. Coming back from the beach I was listening to Relayer in the car with my brother and my father, and we stopped at a traffic light. A white and luxurious car pulls up next to us and the music is very loud. We turned down the volume to see what was playing and you won't believe what it was.... That's right, Relayer! Here in my city there is almost no progressive rock movement, everyone listens to reggaeton and music with no spirit. The chances of that happening are very slim. It surprised us and brought a big smile to our faces.

Ok, but were you both listening to the same song? Did you say something to the guy?

I remember after seeing a show (I think Jon Anderson) there was a woman walking along and her phone rang. She had a song from relayer (I think gates of delirium) as her ringtone. I talked to her and quickly realized who she was because we were both members of the Yes fans website. Anyway, your story beats mine for sure. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 29 2021 at 20:21
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 12:06

Which city are you from?
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 15:09
Genesis
@3:30

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 18:37
So I guess we should assume if he were to have Genesis on his show he would want Mike Rutherford, Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, Chris Stewart and Anthony Phillips? ;)
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 18:45
On 102.9 WMGK, I heard a Steve Hackett commercial with the synthesizer solo of Cinema Show playing. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 19:41
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

On 102.9 WMGK, I heard a Steve Hackett commercial with the synthesizer solo of Cinema Show playing. 

That's cool. I don't really listen to that station anymore but I sometimes look at their playlist online. They rarely if ever play any Genesis from the Steve Hackett or PG era. They also rarely play any Yes songs other than I've seen All good people. The other day for Jon Anderson's birthday they played a few they don't usually play though. I looked at the WMMR playlist too and even they played some Yes stuff on Jon Anderson's birthday also. They play Yes even less frequently than MGK. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 30 2021 at 19:42
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 23:28
Unrelated, but Seth name-dropped his head writer Alex Baez, and that's my dad's old college friend. We met him in NY at 30 Rockefeller and he introduced us to Seth Myers and a couple other SNL people and got the inside scoop on how Myers was going to get his own show and asked Alex to come with.
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2021 at 23:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok, but were you both listening to the same song? Did you say something to the guy?

I remember after seeing a show (I think Jon Anderson) there was a woman walking along and her phone rang. She had a song from relayer (I think gates of delirium) as her ringtone. I talked to her and quickly realized who she was because we were both members of the Yes fans website. Anyway, your story beats mine for sure. 

No unfortunately. It all happened so fast! I remember turning down the volume and it took me about 5 or 10 seconds to recognise that it was the same disc because the chances of that happening are almost invisible. When I told them about it, the traffic light was already green and we couldn't say anything to him (on top of that he turned into another street). Your story is nice too! One of those that you don't forget.
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2021 at 23:18
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Which city are you from?

I'm from Mardel.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2021 at 23:36

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 20:04

Which city are you from?

I'm from Mardel.

Ah, La Feliz, lovely city Thumbs Up. Although most people in this country unfortunately listen to the music you mentioned (can't say about cities in particular since I don't know enough) I think there's a decent enough amount of prog love. Roger Waters, King Crimson, Yes, ELP, Ian Anderson/Tull, etc. all came to play a few times and played to good crowds. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 01:59
There is a new Ford F150 commercial that uses Atlas by Battles. One of the wackier choices for a pickup truck jingle.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 07:30
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I'm pretty sure that was probably more of a JoJo reference than it was an intentional way to sneak Yes in there. I say that because apparently the anime series Jo Jo's bizarre adventures often ends with roundabout playing.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 04 2021 at 07:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 07:54
^After doing a little digging online and googling "to be continued meme music" and having roundabout pop up I can now say with certainty that was definitely a JoJo reference. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 13:32

Which city are you from?

I'm from Mardel.

Welcome to PA!!  Visiting Argentina is on my bucket list!! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 01:02
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was definitely created by a prog fan. Apparently the series uses music by Yes as well as KC, and there are a few veiled KC references in the show I've been told.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 18:28

Edited by TheLionOfPrague - November 05 2021 at 18:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 21:40
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was definitely created by a prog fan. Apparently the series uses music by Yes as well as KC, and there are a few veiled KC references in the show I've been told.

Last Train Home by Pat Metheny was apparently used also. 
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 18:38
I am a big fan of Olive and Mabel, the Labrador retriever YouTube stars, made famous by their human, Andrew Cotter, an temporarily unemployed sports commentator from Scotland.  He's published a book about them, which is quite a joy to read.  I came across this passage at the end of a chapter about things the two dogs are inexplicably terrified of.

Mabel, the yellow Lab, is terrified of the beeps that Andrew's GoPro camera makes (my dog is the same about smoke detector beeps), despite the fact that other household beeps leave her completely unmoved.  Here he ponders: "Who knows, perhaps to Mabel the exact frequency of a GoPro contains a hidden message, like a '70's pro rock album played backward, telling her she's going to be taken to a dog pound run by cats."

Highly recommended viewing of the YouTube videos can be seen here, for those unfamiliar.  The first one sets the stage for all that follow.  https://www.youtube.com/user/admcotter
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 61>