Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 61>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog in unexpected public places.
    Posted: August 20 2011 at 13:25
So I'm shopping at the local Kroger with my wife and I mostly ignore the music played on the store sound system but then I heard something familiar: Sylvia by Focus.  It got me thinking, somewhere out there there's a guy picking music for the Kroger sound system that likes prog and he must have snuck that one in.

So, anyone else have this sort of thing happen to them?

Sylvia is one of those songs that works really well in that sort of context.  It's a great little tune and I don't think you'd find any prog ignorant shoppers that would be bothered by it.  Still I wonder how many shoppers heard what I heard liked it and didn't think any further about it. LOL

It did give me a bit of a rush hearing Sylvia there and I think it may have caused me to buy things. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 20 2011 at 13:56
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 13:37
it has rarely happened to me, but i will always remember, decades ago, i was in a tavern in downtown Ottawa, Canada that was new to me, and i heard part of side one of Wishbone Ash's album Argus-a pleasant surprise!

Edited by presdoug - August 20 2011 at 13:39
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 13:43
During Christmas in my town there is usually a speaker system installed on a couple of more commercial streets, blasting the season's hits. Yet a couple of years back they played Trans-Siberian Orchestra all the time! Clap
Bigger on the inside.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 13:47
I've had those moments as well, just not one I can remember ATM, but they aren't too few and far between. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 13:50
There was a sports talk radio network that used to use "Big Fungus" by Michael Manring (from his Thonk album) as one of their show lead-ins.

Paul Schaefer's CBS Orchestra plays one of King's X's proggier tunes "We Were Born To Be Loved" at commercial breaks.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 13:56
Few months ago in a small carnival in a small town a speaker was playing "See Emily Play".
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 14:02
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

There was a sports talk radio network that used to use "Big Fungus" by Michael Manring (from his Thonk album) as one of their show lead-ins.

Paul Schaefer's CBS Orchestra plays one of King's X's proggier tunes "We Were Born To Be Loved" at commercial breaks.

The Schaefer thing is a little surprising though I don't know that song I've gotten the impression that Paul is and/or was generally dismissive of prog.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 14:41
I was at a bar once where the radio station used was playing the title track to ITCOTKC. Somebody changed the station halfway through the song LOL
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 14:55
Takes me back many years to this golden oldie! http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1368
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 14:59
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

During Christmas in my town there is usually a speaker system installed on a couple of more commercial streets, blasting the season's hits. Yet a couple of years back they played Trans-Siberian Orchestra all the time! Clap

I don't think this counts really. This and Greg Lake's Christmas tune are ubiquitous marketing ploys to get air play at a vulnerable time of year for radio play.

On the other hand I frequently hear Peter Gabriel played, although he's certainly more to the "accessible" end of prog. I can't remember ever hearing anything in the vein of  Sylvia.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 15:04
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

The Schaefer thing is a little surprising though I don't know that song I've gotten the impression that Paul is and/or was generally dismissive of prog.

Not if you saw the awe on his face when Emerson did the Late Show so many long years ago. It looked like he was having a massive pants volcano. But as for the musical selection for the outros to commercial I would agree that your unlikely to hear the CBS Orchestra play much if any progressive music. That's not what the audience wants.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 15:10
I heard a Pull Me Under in the bathroom of a shopping mall.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 15:31
When CTTE is played at your local Tesco (Wallmart/CoOp/Morrisons & etc.) when buying your pork chops, you will know that we have taken over the world!Evil Smile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 15:48
I've heard Pink Floyd's "San Tropez" in Muzak feeds twice - once in the original version and once as instrumental Muzak.

Some restaurant I used to go to before it closed had a classic rock satellite feed, and I heard Zappa's "Joe's Garage" a couple times.

Oh, and I've also heard the 45 edit of "Time Flies" by Porcupine Tree on another restaurant's satellite feed.

Edited by zappaholic - August 20 2011 at 15:50
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KABSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 16:33
i worked in south Wales for a time. Haverfordwest.
in a lunch special Indian Curry Restaraunt i was awaiting my nosh.
and after a while my Ears became aware of the in-house music being played.
Peter Michael Hamel - The Colours of Time !!

My Meal Was All The Mor Lovely.
Tall Tales of Topographic Inconsequence
Platocrates View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Platocrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 16:45
While I was working at the Commissary this summer, usually I had my ipod in, but every now and then when a silent part came on, I could hear the radio. Quite a few times, Yes' Roundabout and Love Will Find A Way. And I'm sure I heard a few other good ones. Good stuff.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." -Carl Sagan.
GypsyJoker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GypsyJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 16:46
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Not if you saw the awe on his face when Emerson did the Late Show so many long years ago. It looked like he was having a massive pants volcano. But as for the musical selection for the outros to commercial I would agree that your unlikely to hear the CBS Orchestra play much if any progressive music. That's not what the audience wants.

They generally try to play something relevant to the guests, even if it's something to do only with a song title.  I've heard bits of prog tunes used for outros before; it's often just dependent on the guest.

Some of my favorite MST3K bits had to do with prog; they made several Rush, Crimson, and Yes jokes during the show's run.

Back in '81/'82-ish, WKRC-TV in Cincinnati used to use the instrumental keyboard/bass showcase at the end of Yes' "Does it Really Happen?" as the music behind the stock-market recap on their 11PM news broadcast.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 17:02
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Strangely appropriate LOL
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 17:08
Can't think of anything at the moment. sadly...
GypsyJoker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GypsyJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 17:56
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Strangely appropriate LOL

Could've been "Undertow."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 61>