Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 04:07
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I was flying back to my hometown for the holidays, and was checking out some of the music you can listen to on the plane. Rush's album "Clockwork Angels" was one of the options. I was mildly surprised.

I've just come back from a trip to China. When I arrived, the hotel put me in room 2112.

On the flight back, not only was 2112 on the plane's audio selection, they also had "The Raven that Refused to Sing". Now that's something I didn't expect to find!

The airline with such impeccable taste was Dragonair.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 07:40
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Not exactly a public place but I just got back from the Grand Bahia Principe resort in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and they have an after hours karaoke bar. To my amazement I found YES and Marillion to be with in the list of bands to choose from. The songs were Southside of The Sky, Heart of The Sunrise and Lift Me up for YES.
MaRillion songs were Kayleigh, Lavender and Grendal!!!

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Karaoke Grendel sounds like it would be a sight to behold!

Um, hell yes! I would have totally rocked that sh*t for all it was worth, probably acted out the damn story as well!

Years ago, a friend and I used to do `White Rabbit' by Jefferson Airplane, and by the end of it, most people were like - "What the hell was that?!"

Umm it seemed really daunting at the time. Also, I did ask the guy if it was the full 19min of the song including the musical interludes and he said yes! Lol it's a really challenging song. Lyrics are dense and some are spoken in the form of narrative. I was wicked hammered as well and I just felt I couldn't pull that one off.
Of course no one would know what the hell I was singing!! Poor souls.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 21:16
Has anyone seen the terrific `Robocop' remake yet?

Because Focus' `Hocus Pocus' is used to soundtrack a major action scene in it, I nearly fell out of my seat! They play about a good three minutes of it too.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 23:48
I phoned a medical clinic to book a visit and the waiting tone was Firth of Fifth (not just a midi).
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 01:14

I was flying back to my hometown for the holidays, and was checking out some of the music you can listen to on the plane. Rush's album "Clockwork Angels" was one of the options. I was mildly surprised.

The last time I flew Lufthansa the music options included Kate Bush and The Mars Volta.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 01:34

Because Focus' `Hocus Pocus' is used to soundtrack a major action scene in it, I nearly fell out of my seat! They play about a good three minutes of it too.

Oh hey! That's awesome! I can't wait to see the remake of Robocop. I grew up watching the original 1987 classic and it is definitely one of my very favourite movies of all time. Sounds great, Michael but I really have my doubts where the new Robocop movie won't hold a candle to the original. If its as good as Robocop 2 I will be happy.
God...I hope not like 3! Shiite! Lol
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 02:16
Not sure how unexpected this is but one of the Olympic ice skaters is skating to Pink Floyd's "shine on you crazy diamond." Not sure what version this is though. It's seems a bit different to me. SmileAny woman who likes this, especially ones who look like her, is my kind of woman.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - February 09 2014 at 02:17
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:05

Oh hey! That's awesome! I can't wait to see the remake of Robocop. I grew up watching the original 1987 classic and it is definitely one of my very favourite movies of all time. Sounds great, Michael but I really have my doubts where the new Robocop movie won't hold a candle to the original. If its as good as Robocop 2 I will be happy.

I can't imagine it to be anything but hilarius. Guts and killing to the rhythm of Yodelling
I really have to see that.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:35
Yo de do mutherfunker!!! LOL

Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

I've just come back from a trip to China. When I arrived, the hotel put me in room 2112.

On the flight back, not only was 2112 on the plane's audio selection, they also had "The Raven that Refused to Sing". Now that's something I didn't expect to find!

The airline with such impeccable taste was Dragonair.

Big smile

I work at a company that does senior living facilities and we have a few projects going on in China.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 09 2014 at 12:37
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:39
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Not sure how unexpected this is but one of the Olympic ice skaters is skating to Pink Floyd's "shine on you crazy diamond." Not sure what version this is though. It's seems a bit different to me. SmileAny woman who likes this, especially ones who look like her, is my kind of woman.
Sounds cool!
I've often thought that an ice skating routine to IQ's duo of "State Of Mine"/"Laid Low" (though probably in reverse order, starting off with the mellow LL) would be quite interesting!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 23:24
^I think it was at the 2004 summer Olympics when a young female gymnast did a routine to something from Goblin's "Suspiria." I somehow missed it of course. LOL.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 23:32
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I can't imagine it to be anything but hilarius. Guts and killing to the rhythm of Yodelling

The scene is definitely played a little for laughs! Robo is being tested and has to clear a room of 50+ opponents in less than 60 seconds, so the kind of silly nature of the song works well!

I should add, the film is really decent. They really made a good go at making a decent film, and it's not just a lazy, uninspired remake. very surprising!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 00:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

This was fun!  A commercial on US television (Jimmy Kimmel show) features Jimmy's sidekick, Guillermo, courting a lass with a new Sony bluetooth speaker and a great Peter Gabriel song!  Check it out, hilarious!

That link wouldn't work so I couldn't view it but I'm guessing it was a spoof on the movie "Say anything" with John Cusack. In that movie(which I've never actually seen)there is a scene where the main character(John Cusack's character)tries to win back his girlfriend by playing Peter Gabriel's "in your eyes"(I think that's the song)with his boombox.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 10:46

The scene is definitely played a little for laughs! Robo is being tested and has to clear a room of 50+ opponents in less than 60 seconds, so the kind of silly nature of the song works well!

I should add, the film is really decent. They really made a good go at making a decent film, and it's not just a lazy, uninspired remake. very surprising!

Well, this is very reassuring to hear. I will be sure to see the film in the theatre very soon.
GoRobo! I heard they made it kind of comical. It's not as dark as the original.
I will just have to see for myself. Thanks mr. Hocus Pocus. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 10:47

^I think it was at the 2004 summer Olympics when a young female gymnast did a routine to something from Goblin's "Suspiria." I somehow missed it of course. LOL.

That would be amazing. Bet it was a floor routine I would imagine.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 20:46

Well, this is very reassuring to hear. I will be sure to see the film in the theatre very soon.

The original films had their good share of sarcastic humor too... I would guess they tried to stay true to that part of the nature of the original films.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 00:54

The original films had their good share of sarcastic humor too... I would guess they tried to stay true to that part of the nature of the original films.

Excellent because sarcasm is something I know very little about.
I'd buy that for a dollar.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 22:06

That would be amazing. Bet it was a floor routine I would imagine.

I believe it was actually. Sometimes you hear some pretty interesting music in the Olympics. I could have sworn a guy was ice skating to something by Jeff Beck(an instrumental track)but I'm not entirely sure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 20:44
Just found out that the Focus classic "hocus pocus" is in the new Robocop movie. Tongue
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 21:47
I stopped at a gas station off the freeway in a nowhere place USA and was shocked to hear full-on symphonic prog playing in the convenient store section. I asked what he was playing and they said it was a satellite internet station. A surprise indeed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 61>