Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 22:13
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I stopped at a gas station off the freeway in a nowhere place USA and was shocked to hear full-on symphonic prog playing in the convenient store section. I asked what he was playing and they said it was a satellite internet station. A surprise indeed.

You mean you didn't recognize it? I suppose it could have been pretty much anything. I'm curious as to what satellite channel but I suppose we'll never know for sure(let alone what band it was).
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 18:00
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Just found out that the Focus classic "hocus pocus" is in the new Robocop movie. Tongue

I heard that too from my good friend here on PA, Michael (Aussie-Byrd-Brother)
very much looking forward to seeing that movie. Have to wait till next weekend to see it though.
Anyway. My cousin who lives in the U.S says he saw/heard in a Wallmart commercial RUSH's WORKING MAN being played in it. I believe him.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhikkhu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 20:17
I made some discs for a nice restaurant I was working in and snuck in some Zappa and Le Orme.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 20:34
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I stopped at a gas station off the freeway in a nowhere place USA and was shocked to hear full-on symphonic prog playing in the convenient store section. I asked what he was playing and they said it was a satellite internet station. A surprise indeed.

You mean you didn't recognize it? I suppose it could have been pretty much anything. I'm curious as to what satellite channel but I suppose we'll never know for sure(let alone what band it was).

Nope. This was before i was more prog-literate. It was probably ELP cuz it sounded like lots of bombastic keyboards. I have no idea what channel. It was ten years ago at a quicky stop for gasoline when i was very tired. Details are gone forever but the memory of the surprise of hearing prog in an American quickie mart is still strong. Usually you get bubblegum pop, country or classic top 40 from the 80s or something
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 23:15
Don't you see anything familiar on this page? Big smile

http://pa.as.uky.edu/pa-faculty-research
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 05:42
Hardly a public place I admit but going through my Dad's vinyl LP collection in the attic last week I uncovered a few unjustly neglected gems that may have gone some way towards shaping the stripling Lemming pup's formative musical education:

The Peddlers were predominantly frilly shirted scampi in a basket s.h.i.t.e. but they had at least one brilliant song:

Adam's Apple is the sort of pop song the Nice tried to write but couldn't for love nor money

Unbeknown to me they also had a second brilliant song or rather this Prog drenched 10 minute instrumental sufficient to have my jaw dropping. Yeah OK there are a couple of squeaky bum moments when the rinky dinky icerink organ kicks in but bugger me with a ribbed loofah, I had no idea one of my Dad's favourite bands were capable of (or allowed to attempt) something like this (Lokshen Pudding) It's even got bass and drum solos. The scampi would be turning in their graves....

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 04 2014 at 05:45
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 06:07
I've liked some Peddlers stuff over the years. They did tend towards the MOR but released a good version of Have You Ever Been to Georgia by Graham Gouldman.

Mention of The Nice reminds me that one of the ice skaters at last month's Winter Olympics used a sample from the Five Bridges Suite for their routine. Quite surprising to hear it in that context!

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 00:35
Well it just so happens I was watching the Toronto v.s Montreal hockey game on tv and I saw a rink ad on the boards that said 'Dream Theater Mar 21.' I was pretty surprised to see that. Getting a board ad is not cheap. Lol. Guess DT are getting a lot of exposure and people are really starting to catch on for just how good a band they are. Geez. Only took over 20 years. Lol. Anyway. It was nice to see. Toronto lost the game, but seeing that ad put a smile on my face.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 12:09
I opened the local paper, only to spy a photo of a vintage bootleg Yes concert tee-shirt!  

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 12:12
lol cstack3--that's great --I have a vintage Tales tee shirt in mint condition Smile
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 13:14
Watching trailer to some polish movie that, as i assume, will be horribly poor, i suddenly heard Riverside's Deph Of Self-delusion used in it as a soundtrack. Regarding that rest of a soundtrack was mediocre pop it was quite suprising and sad...
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 02:15
On an episode of Waiting For God there was the Tubular Bells main theme (not the Exhaust intro bit) playing ion a radio. Referred to as folk music.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 02:21
And it's conceptual continuity time featuring Black Sabbath. On an episode of the Professionals (c. 1979 -80) a copy of Never Say Die was in the immediate background. This episode starred Martin Shaw and Phyllis Logan. Martin Shaw, as Judge John Deed (c. 2004) referenced Black Sabbath as music both he and his daughter liked in an episode of the show.

Coincidentally both Shaw and Phylis Logan ended up as Judges. On telly anyway...

Plus I'm playing 13 now. But that is just a coincidence and nothing to do with prog (related) in unusual places. Wink
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 02:31
Starship trooper was in the radio a few days ago. Forgot how absolutely fantastic it is. 88 FM in Israel usually has plenty of prog in the mornings and evenings so frankly there's plenty of prog in public :D
There be dragons
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 05:44
Chris Evans on the BBC Radio 2 breakfast show often plays music in the background as he talks: this morning, he had ELP's "Hoedown" in the background.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 20:05
Just caught an episode of Adventure Time in which Zappa's Apostrophe album cover makes a cameo.  (The episode is "Bad Timing".)

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 11:03
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 12:04
The cafeteria in my old college played the entire Close to the Edge album once, which was pretty sweet.
In the past couple weeks, I've also heard Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros used in television commercials. I don't remember what Explosions was selling. Sigur Ros was in an ad for the upcoming world cup
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodnarfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 22:55
Just heard Lamb Lies Down On Broadway's title track in the supermarket.  Seems like a rare occurrence but I'm not sure
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 23:14
Frank Zappa was mentioned prominently in a movie I just watched the other night called "Rock School." I just bought this dvd recently. It's a documentary based on the school of rock. The kids play at the annual Zappanale festival in Germany. A couple of ex Zappa and MOI members even have a cameo. Has anyone seen this movie? Black Sabbath's music was also featured prominently.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - March 30 2014 at 23:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 61>