Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 61>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riyen73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 12:56
There is a small coffee bar which also sells beer near my home. They usually play the latest pop hits (Lady Gaga - all those, I am not clued in) and Indian film music. The moment I walked in, they started playing Fear of a Blank Planet. Which was alright, as its a somewhat popular Porcupine Tree song of late in India. Then they play My Ashes. And I was pleasantly surprised. Then we had Anesthetize and I got really kicked about it. I walked over to the counter and asked to meet the person playing the music. I am a really big Porcupine Tree fan and most people in India haven't really heard of them. And the guy at the counter said the DJ didnt come today, so they are just playing some music from one of the guys phone :-). I got to hear Fear Of A Blank Planet at a Coffee Bar in its entirety that night. It was quite a surreal experience. There are pubs here which might play an album in its entirety during the less crowded afternoon hours. But that night when no one else seemed to care about the music, being alone and listening to the album over beer at a bar made me feel great. I even tweeted to the official PT feed about it :-)
desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desistindo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 13:01
I always put Pink Floyd´s "Money" in a Jukebox near my house Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 15:41
I heard "See Emily Play" by Pink Floyd in a Freebirds once.

I was amazed. 
desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desistindo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 16:06
I think this thread  proofs how unpopular prog definitely is LOL
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 16:39
I was driving a truck loaded with band gear and I stopped at a Shoprite to buy some roasted chicken. I parked in the lot and heard this strange and beautiful music coming from this man's car. I walked over to him and asked what he was listening to. He had no idea....but said he loved it and told me how to tune into the radio station. I got back into the truck and sat there for about 20 minutes. Finally the DJ announced that it was Art Zoyd and the piece was "Epithalame" from Berlin. I was late for set up time at the gig, passed on the roasted chicken, but discovered Art Zoyd. A week later I ordered the cd from Wayside Music. This all went down in Middlesex N.J. if memory serves. I think it was in 1989. It was my introduction to them. Another strange experience in my life that sticks like glue.
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aprusso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 06:46
I just passed by a supertrendy gay-friendly fashion store in C. Consell de Cent, Barcelona, and they were playing "Dust in the Wind". Unbelievable!
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 07:01
"Dust in the Wind" is (rather was) extremely popular in Lebanon (where I come from). It was a huge success and people recognize it as a classic rock tune.
https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 07:12
Originally posted by Verwuestung Verwuestung wrote:

I heard Can's She Brings The Rain in a chocolate bar restraunt called Max Brener in Israel..was quite surprising, though it's not really full on prog song

That's pretty awesome considering the last time I went there the combination of chocolate overdose and terrible music made the place almost unbearable. I guess it has to do with the manager.                                             
There be dragons
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 09:54
I heard Kerry Livgren's "To Live For The King" for the first time in a WalMart. Also, Wish You Were Here came on in a bar once. It's how I found out the girl I was there with was really awesome: She knew all the lyrics :P
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 10:27
to hear Pink Floyd (even songs like Echoes and Exe for Eugene) is not what i would call suprising even today, it is as suprising as wall-mart store playing Back in Black and Billy Jean. So yes i become happy when malls play Floyd but i have stopped being suprised as when one think of it Pink Floyd are bigger then Progressive rock itself as a phenomenom (just like the Beatles are bigger phemomenom then pop and rock Disapprove) and a album like DSotM are only surpassed by Back in Black and Thriller, and breathed in the neck by Rumours and Millienium (by Backstreet Boys Evil Smile

my 50cent /$$/
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slaughternalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 12:08
I've heard Pink Floyd at the grocery store, as well as proggy beatles tunes like come together and junk. But as for "real" prog, I don't think many public stores are going to play Relayer over their speaker system
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 12:11
They should. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 12:47
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

They should. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 13:02

I was working in one particular music store a few years ago and as I gave guitar instruction I heard K.C's Great Deceiver box set played throughout the store and the entire day. Most store I had worked in years ago hung pictures of bands on the walls and played mainstream music during business hours. Our store was sometimes packed and the music of National Health, Steve Hackett, Univers Zero and many others were played over the system. I approached Steve and asked if he thought the airplay of this music would be bad for business. He told me to shut up and play my guitar and that I would see everything work out to the best expectations. I could not believe the reaction of these customers as they asked the names of the bands and if they had websites. And many of these people were not musicians. Many of them as a rule were lovers of mainstream music. I taught guitar instruction to many of them and the realization pissed me off. Here you have people who know nothing about prog and they are asking for it because they either shopped or took music lessons in the store.

The music stores in N.Y.and Philadelphia mostly played Jazz, but it wasn't too often underground prog was played. The 2 guys running the business were once players in Metal and Rock bands. I thought their introduction to prog through an independently owned business wasa terrible idea...but it worked. Then I became a little angered over the realization. I thought....If this can be easily accomplished then it would give reason for more people to expand musically.    
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 14:07
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

to hear Pink Floyd (even songs like Echoes and Exe for Eugene) is not what i would call suprising even today, it is as suprising as wall-mart store playing Back in Black and Billy Jean. So yes i become happy when malls play Floyd but i have stopped being suprised as when one think of it Pink Floyd are bigger then Progressive rock itself as a phenomenom (just like the Beatles are bigger phemomenom then pop and rock Disapprove) and a album like DSotM are only surpassed by Back in Black and Thriller, and breathed in the neck by Rumours and Millienium (by Backstreet Boys Evil Smile

my 50cent /$$/

Yeah, I hear Floyd all the time tbh, but that's the first and last time I've heard Wish You Were Here in public.
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awaken77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 05:59
Yesterday I was in a music store looking for keyboards.
I 've heard some familiar motif, which was famous Jordan Rudess' keyboard solo from DT song Octavarium,
played by salesperson guy on Yamaha digital piano.
I was impressed, and asked - Hey, do you play Octavarium? Yes!! you doing good, bro, please do the whole album :-)

Edited by awaken77 - August 26 2011 at 06:00
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 06:58
Originally posted by desistindo desistindo wrote:

I always put Pink Floyd´s "Money" in a Jukebox near my house Smile

That reminds me of the time I was in college and as eating at a Pizza Inn which had One Of My Turns as a B side in the jukebox.  So of course I put in money and picked that one.  It didn't come on until we were leaving.  "Would you like something to eat?" LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 13:22
Today I was in a magazine/tobacco store and they played Ozric Tentacles!

The employee was rather pleased that I noticed. Smile
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 14:54
Ozric can be pretty popular in a lot of indie circles. I know several ppl that aren't into prog that are huge fans.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 14:58
I wish i could mention even one time but i can't.Hearing OPETH's Death Whispered A Lullaby" on Criminal Minds blew me away,especially since it went on for so long. Hearing the DJ on a Toronto radio station joke that he was going to see the new Star Trek movie and was going to play some SPOCK'S BEARD on the way to the theatre took me by surprise too. I play prog in the shop here non-stop but sadly few have a clue about prog music.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 61>