Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 20:56
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Well I found something that was unexpected. Not the place (the Internet and it was a Pink Floyd song...) But, as I was looking for odd things Floydian I found a cover that was... gulp, genuine 24 carat disco cover of Welcome To The Machine. Can't find it now but... that was unexpected. It was a bit like a road smash. Appalling but one can't help but not stare (hear) in fascinated horror.

For EDM fans there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45I-Uf2PBU

I just heard on a restaurant a country version of "Wish you were here". Actually, it didn't sound bad.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 21:34
Was watching the Manulife LPGA Classic from Cambridge, Ontario today on TV and going into a commercial, Rush's Freewill was heard.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 13:31
Went to the same grocery store today and heard Kashmir playing on the PA system. How cool is that?
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 14:10
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

Went to the same grocery store today and heard Kashmir playing on the PA system. How cool is that?

Always a delight to hear Kashmir on FM radio. I've heard it in restaurants and grocery stores a few times and I always make sure to stick around until it's finished before leaving. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 14:12
The other day our university president played Nights In White Satin on cello for all of the incoming first years.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 18:31
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

The other day our university president played Nights In White Satin on cello for all of the incoming first years.

not sure whether I'd be impressed by that.... or creeped out...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 06:09
At my son's middle school graduation several years back, a classmate of his performed a section of Yes' The Revealing Science of God for the crowd on acoustic guitar which pretty much left it dumbfounded, apparently not knowing what the hell they were hearing. It just about brought a tear to my eye.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 13:54
On Wednesday there was Yes music on BBC Newsnight. This was mainly a short report about Roger Dean having an exhibition somewhere, but they put as much focus on the music as on Roger himself and his work; they even had Bill Brufurd talking about the old days and Pink Floyd.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 14:16
I heard locomotive breath in my local supermarket the other day. It confused me.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 18:48
Does a pop-rock song by proto-prog Deep Purple Mk I count? Because I heard Hush at a barbecue joint last week.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 19:09
[QUOTE=Replayer]Does a pop-rock song by proto-prog Deep Purple Mk I count? Because I heard Hush at a barbecue joint last week.
[/QUOTE

Nah, Deep Purple is just classic rock. Personally, I'm interested in whether people encounter prog that didn't also cross over, so no Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, or Roundabout/I've Seen All Good People. If anyone happens to hear Osanna's Animale Senza Respiro playing over the supermarket intercom or the car going 70 down the freeway playing HC's Living in the Heart of the Beast, then I'll be intrigued. 
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 19:56
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Does a pop-rock song by proto-prog Deep Purple Mk I count? Because I heard Hush at a barbecue joint last week.

Nah, Deep Purple is just classic rock.

Agree about the band in general, but I think the Mk I lineup can be considered proto-prog. I'm talking about their tendency to do longer Vanilla Fudge-style workouts such as Prelude: Happiness/I'm So Glad, Hey Joe, Exposition/We Can Work It Out, April.

My suggestion was also kind of tongue-in-cheek, as I know Hush is essentially a pop song. It was DP's first hit, but I still found it unusual to hear a pre-Mk II song in public.

Personally, I'm interested in whether people encounter prog that didn't also cross over, so no Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, or Roundabout/I've Seen All Good People.

I agree that less mainstream examples are more interesting to read about, but there will be much fewer occurrences, or the listener might not even recognize the songs (as would happen in my case with your Osanna or Henry Cow examples).

And even for a well-known band, I would still like to hear some of their less well-known material in public, such as early PF or JT.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 20:33

[QUOTE=Replayer]Does a pop-rock song by proto-prog Deep Purple Mk I count? Because I heard Hush at a barbecue joint last week.
[/QUOTE

Nah, Deep Purple is just classic rock. Personally, I'm interested in whether people encounter prog that didn't also cross over, so no Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, or Roundabout/I've Seen All Good People. If anyone happens to hear Osanna's Animale Senza Respiro playing over the supermarket intercom or the car going 70 down the freeway playing HC's Living in the Heart of the Beast, then I'll be intrigued. 

I once heard a guy blasting Rush out of his car while he was driving. I'm pretty sure it was La Villa Strangiato but it might have been the title track to Hemispheres. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 20:36
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

At my son's middle school graduation several years back, a classmate of his performed a section of Yes' The Revealing Science of God for the crowd on acoustic guitar which pretty much left it dumbfounded, apparently not knowing what the hell they were hearing. It just about brought a tear to my eye.

It's quite possible a few people recognized it. Never sell the general public short when it comes to these things. 

I saw a youtube video of a guy playing a King Crimson song live and he said that when he plays them usually at least a few people recognize it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 22:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I once heard a guy blasting Rush out of his car while he was driving. I'm pretty sure it was La Villa Strangiato but it might have been the title track to Hemispheres. 

Hmmm, may have been my high school physics teacher. His daily commute went over the busiest, most gridlocked bridge in the city so it was probably an hour and a half both ways... Just enough time to put on two full prog albums before the day's started! 

You know how every once in a while you'll see some car drive by with all the windows down blaring some crappy rap or EDM or pop music or whatever so loud that the car's bobbing up and down on the suspension? Well that was my physics teacher, but with Yes, Rush or Genesis! One time I had the delight of walking to school when he came ripping by, waking up the neighbourhood with Close To The Edge. Good times.

As far as other prog drive-by's, one time I was out cruising around town on a steamy summer evening, so what better to put on than some jazz-tinged Argentinian prog? So here I am driving through a quiet suburban neighbourhood when just up the block I see what looks a lot like my good friend's family having some sort of gathering. My friend is also huge into prog so I think to myself "heh, he'd probably get a laugh if he saw me go cruising by with all the windows down, blaring this so loud that the car's bobbing up and down on the suspension". So sure enough, I do just that. And sure enough, it's not actually my friend's family at all. So somewhere out there is a very confused family who was very unexpectedly and very briefly serenaded with Rayuela's Sexo Y Dinero
Phailman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phailman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 14:33
Well im on the other side of this
 i work in a restaurant and unleash my musical tyranny while im working 
sometimes its just calm easy to listen to music but most of the time i try "opening" peoples ears - the waitresses also suffer LOL
 with yes, genesis, camel, caravan, focus...
lots of times people ask to lower the music right in the middle of the solo! (blasphemy)

but not very often i also get a small compliment on the playlist
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 14:53
Originally posted by Phailman Phailman wrote:

sometimes its just calm easy to listen to music but most of the time i try "opening" peoples ears - the waitresses also suffer LOL
lots of times people ask to lower the music right in the middle of the solo! (blasphemy)

"Waiter, why did it take 23 minutes for my drink to arrive?"

"Well sir, this is a prog restaurant."
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 15:00
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

No, this would happen in a doom/drone restaurant: in a prog restaurant, the drinks would arrive in 2 minutes, but it would be only cocktails shaken on a 17/9 rhythm or very rare Bulgarian vintage '74 wines.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 15:02
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

No, this would happen in a doom/drone restaurant: in a prog restaurant, the drinks would arrive in 2 minutes, but it would be only cocktails shaken on a 17/9 rhythm or very rare Bulgarian vintage '74 wines.

They would also serve Ales from Topographic Oceans.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 15:10
The 80s radio station at work plays some surprosing stuff (extremely rarely) including Gonna Get Close to You by Dalbello (which is maybe closer to art rock)
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 61>