Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 12:12
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Yeah, that's totally ridiculous for them not to mention King Crimson. They might not be a household name like Peter Gabriel, David Bowie and Blondie but come on. He's still more famous for playing with KC. Can you imagine if it was Steve Howe and they mentioned him playing with Asia, GTR, Lou Reed, Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Queen but not Yes? I'm not sure when that was recorded but these days Yes probably aren't that much more well known than KC (or at least not as much as you might think they would be).

I don’t really think it’s ridiculous at all. For the general masses Toyah Wilcox is the household name. I remember one Christmas with my in-laws, when they were discussing music, and my mother-in-law said she thought Toyah was married to some other musician - and suggested it was one of those more obscure bands my father-in-law listened to (obscure meaning Peter Gabriel, I think, because that is as “far” more mainstream as I can ascertain his musical tastes go). They both looked at me, because everyone knows I love music, ans I had to tell them it was Robert Fripp (blank looks), from King Crimson (blank looks). And he played some of the funky guitar sounds you hear on David Bowie’s “Heroes” and Scary Monsters albums (oh, is that who it is).

To be honest, I’m not sure they knew that Fripp has played on Bowie’s albums, so much as they knew what I meant by the funky guitar sounds. Bottom line, Fripp is definitely Toyah’s wife, and not the other way around, and I wouldn’t expect to see it in any other way - unless it was something prog-specific, where the audience is already familiar with who he is.

That’s my in-laws, but I’m quite sure it would be the same with my own parents. They’d probably recognise Toyah’s name, but not Fripp’s. And they’ve likely never heard of Crimson. I suspect for most people, Fripp, if he exists in their knowledge at all, is known for his association with Toyah and/or Bowie, above all else.

Well, they aren't big music fans then. I can't imagine any person really into music(especially rock)not having at least heard of King Crimson. That would be like not hearing of Frank Zappa (imo).
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 12:36

^Yeah, that's totally ridiculous for them not to mention King Crimson. They might not be a household name like Peter Gabriel, David Bowie and Blondie but come on. He's still more famous for playing with KC. Can you imagine if it was Steve Howe and they mentioned him playing with Asia, GTR, Lou Reed, Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Queen but not Yes? I'm not sure when that was recorded but these days Yes probably aren't that much more well known than KC (or at least not as much as you might think they would be).

I don’t really think it’s ridiculous at all. For the general masses Toyah Wilcox is the household name. I remember one Christmas with my in-laws, when they were discussing music, and my mother-in-law said she thought Toyah was married to some other musician - and suggested it was one of those more obscure bands my father-in-law listened to (obscure meaning Peter Gabriel, I think, because that is as “far” more mainstream as I can ascertain his musical tastes go). They both looked at me, because everyone knows I love music, ans I had to tell them it was Robert Fripp (blank looks), from King Crimson (blank looks). And he played some of the funky guitar sounds you hear on David Bowie’s “Heroes” and Scary Monsters albums (oh, is that who it is).

To be honest, I’m not sure they knew that Fripp has played on Bowie’s albums, so much as they knew what I meant by the funky guitar sounds. Bottom line, Fripp is definitely Toyah’s wife, and not the other way around, and I wouldn’t expect to see it in any other way - unless it was something prog-specific, where the audience is already familiar with who he is.

That’s my in-laws, but I’m quite sure it would be the same with my own parents. They’d probably recognise Toyah’s name, but not Fripp’s. And they’ve likely never heard of Crimson. I suspect for most people, Fripp, if he exists in their knowledge at all, is known for his association with Toyah and/or Bowie, above all else.

Well, they aren't big music fans then. I can't imagine any person really into music(especially rock)not having at least heard of King Crimson. That would be like not hearing of Frank Zappa (imo).

You’re missing the point entirely. These tv programs on which Toyah and her husband are appearing are not directed at music fans - big or otherwise. Are you being wilfully obtuse, or am I simply not being clear enough.

You stated it was ridiculous for Fripp to be introduced as Toyah’s husband, and for no mention of Crimson to be made. I stated it was not, as the audience is not expected to know who he is, or who Crimson is, Toyah is the celebrity, not Fripp. Why? Simply because most people are not big music fans. And I’m willing to bet there are just as many big music fans who are unaware of who Fripp is, and or/who Crimson are.

I have always been the music fan among all my friends and family. I have always been known for my voracious appetite for music. But I didn’t hear about Crimson for years, and they became known to me only because a tool toured with them. I knew Fripp as someone who played on Bowie’s albums, as I was a Bowie fan. So at one point in my life I was independently aware of both King Crimson and Robert Fripp, and simultaneously unaware of the connection between the two.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 14:33
You are missing my point. If you are the ceo the big bad boo boo club it shouldn't matter if no one has  heard of it or not(especially if it was your main bread and butter). You are the president and that should be acknowledged. Who cares if they heard of it or not. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I understand your point but imo that's no reason not to at least mention the band he's from.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2021 at 14:37
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 14:38

You are missing my point. If you are the ceo the big bad boo boo club it shouldn't matter if no one has  heard of it or not(especially if it was your main bread and butter). You are the president and that should be acknowledged. Who cares if they heard of it or not. Ok, I'm done with this conversation.

Generally speaking the creators of a tv program care whether or not their audience has heard of something or not. And I’m sure if Fripp felt as strongly as you, and had asked for it to be acknowledged, then it would have been. Or perhaps even they were going to acknowledge it, and Fripp asked them not to, because these tv events were for Toyah and not him. We don’t know, but for you to get your nose out of joint for something that clearly didn’t bother the man himself seems odd. It seems to me you’re taking offence where none is intended, and on behalf of someone who himself wasn’t bothered. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 14:40

You are missing my point. If you are the ceo the big bad boo boo club it shouldn't matter if no one has  heard of it or not(especially if it was your main bread and butter). You are the president and that should be acknowledged. Who cares if they heard of it or not. Ok, I'm done with this conversation.

Generally speaking the creators of a tv program care whether or not their audience has heard of something or not. And I’m sure if Fripp felt as strongly as you, and had asked for it to be acknowledged, then it would have been. Or perhaps even they were going to acknowledge it, and Fripp asked them not to, because these tv events were for Toyah and not him. We don’t know, but for you to get your nose out of joint for something that clearly didn’t bother the man himself seems odd. It seems to me you’re taking offence where none is intended, and on behalf of someone who himself wasn’t bothered. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Let's just agree to disagree! 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 14:44

I think we did a few posts back! 😄

I have no problem with you or your views, and I can see where you’re coming from, just as you can see where I am coming from. We’ve both been civil and polite, and we can retreat back to our corners. 🤝
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 14:45

I have no problem with you or your views, and I can see where you’re coming from, just as you can see where I am coming from. We’ve both been civil and polite, and we can retreat back to our corners. 🤝

If that were the case you would have stopped arguing with me about it. ;) 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2021 at 14:48
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 15:04

You don’t know me very well! 😄
I continue to argue loooooong after I’ve agreed to disagree! 🤪

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 17:58

You don’t know me very well! 😄
I continue to argue loooooong after I’ve agreed to disagree! 🤪

It's ok. We all have our own funny ways. Wink
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 02:33

It's ok. We all have our own funny ways. Wink
It’s the Gentle Giant in us....

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 14:02
Watching The Stand (ep6) at the moment and caught some KC. Only a snippet but at least credited:

Also in  Episode 1:

Edited by Gentle and Giant - February 16 2021 at 14:03
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 15:44
I was watching "full frontal with Samantha Bee" on ondemand last night and she briefly mentioned Rush. A photo of the band appeared also. I took a picture using my iphone but unfortunately wasn't able to upload it here.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 16 2021 at 15:54
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 11:49
Angela Scanlon on a BBC gardening programme, called Your Garden Made Perfect wearing a Rush Signals T-shirt:

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 03:36
An episode of Between The Lines (1990s UK TV cop show) featured a building with graffiti logos of Frank Zappa and Genesis.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 17:08
I wonder if anyone on here has ever seen this before? 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 25 2021 at 17:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 19:00
This might be stretching it a little bit but I just heard "arriving somewhere but not here" by Porcupine Tree on Sirius XM's deep tracks. It's probably not so weird to hear PT on satellite radio but it is weird to hear them on the deep tracks channel because usually they play lesser known classic rock songs and bands and not ones who's first album was released after the 70's. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 06 2021 at 12:31
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 13:09
I remember an episode of the UK TV series 'Heartbeat' which is a rural police drama set in the 1960's, and uses snippets of songs from the period, that bizarrely used a section of 'One of These Days' which of course was released in 1971!
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 20:56
I was seeing some Bruce Lee movies a few weeks ago, and in one of them, The Big Boss, they have the intro to Time played a few times in the movie. They also had a good part of Larks Tongues in Aspic. Unfortunatley it wasn't as good a movie as I hoped for, and the way they used the music didn't seem to be so well done, nor in the best parts.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 21:27
King Crimson in an Agatha Christie episode. Sort of...

Mmm. And it doubles down...
First the Mystery Of Marsdon Manner features the painting of Epitaph. Then the gasmasks of Power To Believe including the TV artist.

Not the first time KC are on TV this way. An episode is based around the Fripp quote "music is the wine that fills the cup of silence". Used by the victim in the last episode of Rosemary and Thyme and is also the last line in the episode.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 21:37
I found some prog in my pants! It felt kinda good ya know LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 61>