Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVoyage Of The Acolyte - Wow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 00:24
I don't want to get something "a bit spotty." I got 20,000 records to get through as it is. Besides, I hate the title "Please Don't Touch". Still a damned sight better than Caravan's infamous "If I Had To Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You."
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 00:41
I also love VOTA, but have to say I haven't got on so well with his other releases........
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
GypsyJoker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 00:58
In addition to some excellent guitar work, VotA is one of the great Mellotron albums.  It's not a "main" instrument, but it's used tremendously effectively.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 02:53
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I don't want to get something "a bit spotty." I got 20,000 records to get through as it is. Besides, I hate the title "Please Don't Touch". Still a damned sight better than Caravan's infamous "If I Had To Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You."
Sorry but sometimes it is the albums that have a few blemishes that also can yield thehighest moments. As far as Please Don't Touch goes, just listen to Richie Havens.....nuff said
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 02:55
Originally posted by GypsyJoker GypsyJoker wrote:

In addition to some excellent guitar work, VotA is one of the great Mellotron albums.  It's not a "main" instrument, but it's used tremendously effectively.

Absolutely agree with that!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 03:29
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Sorry but sometimes it is the albums that have a few blemishes that also can yield thehighest moments. As far as Please Don't Touch goes, just listen to Richie Havens.....nuff said

Yeah, rather than a consistently mediocre/average release, PDT is simply inconsistent, which is just like a lot of his releases. Even VOTA is quite flawed but when he gets it right, his work is enthralling.
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 12:19
Got most of Hackett albums and there are many great times through them but Acolyte is a magical time, he also did different releases, accoustic and orchestral Which are realy beautiful Thumbs Up

Edited by jean-marie - August 23 2011 at 12:20
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 16:18

Well, honestly I'd call VOTA a bit spotty as well.  I have no interest at all in The Hermit and am only moderately entertained by Shadow of the Hierophant. Fortunately, it's Ace of Wands, A Tower Struck Down, Star of Sirius and a bit of Hierophant which foreshadow where Steve is going in his next few albums.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 07:41
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Well, honestly I'd call VOTA a bit spotty as well.  I have no interest at all in The Hermit and am only moderately entertained by Shadow of the Hierophant. Fortunately, it's Ace of Wands, A Tower Struck Down, Star of Sirius and a bit of Hierophant which foreshadow where Steve is going in his next few albums.
Pretty much the way I feel. Interesting. The Hermit....did nothing for me.  I was probably more entertained by Shadow of the Hierophant because I am a huge fan of Sally Oldfield. I've noticed over years of searching the internet....that many times I'd find cruel thrusts about his guitar playing. Just one attack after the other like...."The guy doesn't really know how to play guitar".....and because they are typing a post,....you can't pick up on the body language. They must be idiots to say that whether it's a stupied post or they sit next to me in public. I mean the guy does not play single note improv like Pat Metheny, but he is very disciplined with the Classical guitar. It gets up my nose when egocentric people make these comments. They have no idea how time consuming the study of Classical guitar can be. So thumbs up for Steve!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 09:46
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Pretty much the way I feel. Interesting. The Hermit....did nothing for me.  I was probably more entertained by Shadow of the Hierophant because I am a huge fan of Sally Oldfield. I've noticed over years of searching the internet....that many times I'd find cruel thrusts about his guitar playing. Just one attack after the other like...."The guy doesn't really know how to play guitar".....and because they are typing a post,....you can't pick up on the body language. They must be idiots to say that whether it's a stupied post or they sit next to me in public. I mean the guy does not play single note improv like Pat Metheny, but he is very disciplined with the Classical guitar. It gets up my nose when egocentric people make these comments. They have no idea how time consuming the study of Classical guitar can be. So thumbs up for Steve!

Yes, I have had problems too in convincing rockheads that improvisation is not the be all.  I mean, I do get why they are after 'organic' imperfection but if the expression laid down is convincing, it doesn't matter if the performance is precise and disciplined.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12