Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why does prog metal dominate the last 10-15 years?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy does prog metal dominate the last 10-15 years?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does prog metal dominate the last 10-15 years?
    Posted: August 24 2011 at 07:42
I've always felt that almost all modern (2000s) prog bands who have some degrees of success have one thing in common: they play prog metal or at least integrate prog metal elements in their music. Using the PA Top Albums chart, I found 15 metal albums in the top 20 albums of 1999-2011. This includes Choirs of the Eye by Kayo Dot and Vehicle by miRthkon (these two aren't categorized under progressive metal on the site but they are prog metal albums). There are also 2 heavy prog albums in the top 20 albums list, In Absentia and De-Loused in the Comatorium, both of which are heavy enough to be considered prog metal to some extent. In total, 17 albums out of 20 are prog metal or heavy prog.

The question is why. Why has metal become so prevalent during the last 10-15 years? Maybe it's because prog metal is the ultimate form of progressive music, and musicians before 1996 (namely, Ćnima and Crimson) either didn't know enough about the genre, or weren't technically proficient enough to veer into the genre. As soon as they overcame those difficulties, they immediately embraced prog metal. What other reasons can you think of that explain the dominance of prog metal over the last decade (and quite possibly this), I'll be happy to hear.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 08:06
Because when grunge hit, metal was the only genre that still embraced technicality. While mainstream metal was driven out, there was a void for those who liked complex music.

And if you define "metal" as anything using distorted guitars, well that's just part of the vocabulary of modern music.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 08:16

^ It's pretty much like he said.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 08:54
I honestly could say, though I know that prog metal does seem to appeal to percentage of general metal fans more than prog rock appeals to the average rock fan, that at least seems to give a wider audiance fro PM.

Oh, and to nit-pick with your opening post, Choirs of the Eye is not a prog metal album, though it does contain quite a few metal influences.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 10:13
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Because when grunge hit, metal was the only genre that still embraced technicality. While mainstream metal was driven out, there was a void for those who liked complex music.

And if you define "metal" as anything using distorted guitars, well that's just part of the vocabulary of modern music.
But then Soundgarden was quite a technical band who also are labeled as a grunge band, so that argument can go many ways. Not saying grunge are a genere filled with technical and complex band, but even outside of grunge Soundgarden are a complex band. They also were gifted as technical (relatively) musicians who know how to play their instruments inside-out and was never afraid to experiment with genres such as psychadelia, jazz and midel eastern influences. And yes Soundgarden embraced technicality in so many uniqie ways like alternative tunings, wierd/crypic lyrical subjects, odd-time signature, neck braeking instrumental passages and ferosious frett-play, often layerd and complex song structure, but also songs that developed over the length of the songs timemeter.

this song goes from a 12/8, 15/8, to a 9/8 and 6/8

and here a song that develops though the length of the songs, it progresses after each section

Edited by aginor - August 24 2011 at 10:34
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 11:29
For me prog metal is not the ultimate form of progressive music.  I think it has more to do with younger people being more open to metal as prog.  I have become more open to metal elements in prog as I have gotten older, thank Buckethead and Porcupine Tree for that.  Even though I have little interest in the metal genres here, I don't object to them.  I like the big tent approach when it comes to what is prog.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

purplesnake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 22:43
The thing is, "popular" music, which is controlled mainly by media, has generally been music with low levels of talent. At our time, its basically eternal sh*t, its just based on image and how good their hair looks, and the only music part of it is "can this person sing". I think we all understand and agree on this.

Now, why are so many progressive musicians turning towards metal?

Metal is generally easier to explain as more complicated music, because of the faster playing, and so people can explain themselves more. And they feel belonged in a group that is relatively large. With Progressive Rock, its harder to communicate the intelligence. The outside listener must really understand music.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 00:58
It's obvious Metal is popular among a small circle of Progheads who are absolutely faithful to the sub-genres..

But it's also truth that the three Prog Metal sub-genres are the only ones that attract massive votes from non Prog reviewers, people who like Metal will come and leave their vote or rating for almost any Prog Metal band, something that unlikely will happen in any other genre.

Prog Metal is a young sub-genre, they don't have the problem others sub-genres have, I read a lot of people saying they don't like pre- 90's bands and also others that say everything done after 1980 is crap, that doesn't happen in Prog Metal, because we are talking about one or two generations.

But as I said on another thread, if they got that recognition, they deserve it.

Iván

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 01:38
Originally posted by purplesnake purplesnake wrote:

Metal is generally easier to explain as more complicated music, because of the faster playing, and so people can explain themselves more. And they feel belonged in a group that is relatively large. With Progressive Rock, its harder to communicate the intelligence. The outside listener must really understand music.

Yeah, sort of.  The fast part is particularly important.  It is easier to relate to prog metal as technical music because of the fast, intense playing whereas in prog rock, it is necessary to come to grips with the music to appreciate its nuances.  However, I personally find technicality boring in general.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 03:54
I think you can also make the case that the metal scene managed to do very well at establishing a distribution structure that wasn't quite so reliant on the big music companies - I don't know how it is in other countries, but here in the UK the various independent metal labels were very, very good at getting their product out there despite a lack of much in the way of exposure on radio or mainstream media advertising. (It would be uncommon, for example, for me to go into a medium-to-large music store in the UK and not find a metal section.)

Consequently, those prog bands who happened to convince metal labels and distributors to carry their CDs simply had more success, because they were able to take advantage of this very strong infrastructure that metal producers and fans had been able to establish. And of course, those prog bands tended to be prog metal. Not all of them - especially in recent years, where more distributors seem willing to follow the lead taken by Inside Out in adding prog to their selection - but enough to give prog metal a bit of an advantage.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 07:03
I guess it's only normal that many young people tend to enjoy high-energy music rather than pastoral or symphonic qualities. I myself have always enjoyed symphonic such as Renaissance, early Genesis or ELP because I grew up listening to it, but in my teens I could perfectly combine listening to real 70's prog with things like AC/DC, Judas Priest, Van Halen and the likes, I had also my heavy metal period.

Complicated heavy has always existed, Queen I, Queen II, Rush's 2112, some of Purple ans Zeppelin etc. During the 80's prog went to a sort of hibernation except for Neo, but then came the technical metal guitar aces following in the footsteps of Eddie Van Halen, which although not prog as such filled the niche of technical metal, guys like Steve Vai, Michael Lee Firkins, Yngwie Malmsteen, Greg Howe, Marty Friedman, Frank Gambale and all the Mike Varney school virtuosos.

DT opened a new chapter creating what we now understand as prog-metal but actually it was just applying the former philosophy of the guitar virtuosos to a full band environment instead of just to solo guitarists, I guess Mike Portnoy had quite much to do with it.

Indeed there seems to be currently a boom of all different sorts of technical metal (although I see post-rock and post-metal quite different from the more "traditional" metal genres) and the fact that there are so many reviews and ratings in these sub-genres probably reflects that there are many young reviewers (which is a good thing), possibly young people have more time to indulge in these activities than old symphonic farts like me.

Personally I'm more of a symphonic / fusion fan but I very much enjoy a lot of heavy prog and prog metal, for example early DT until Six Degrees. Lately though I have lost interest for metal and I must admit that I did not follow closely the latest developments since 2004 or so, maybe there's great metal out there but I have missed it, I'm more back to the symphonic and fusion side of things right now. Maybe after some time I will check out some of these highly praised modern metal albums.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 07:30
The short version would be that "metal" still is a fairly new genre, at least the modern day version of it. I´ve tried playing some Judas Priest from the 70s to some young people(13-17) a while back - and they said it had absolutely nothing to do with metalPinch I agree that metal back then was highly rooted in rock n´roll ( as it is today), but the parallels between the likes of Zep and Purple seem to have deterred somewhat.  
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 08:06

Originally posted by purplesnake purplesnake wrote:

The thing is, "popular" music, which is controlled mainly by media, has generally been music with low levels of talent. At our time, its basically eternal sh*t, its just based on image and how good their hair looks, and the only music part of it is "can this person sing". I think we all understand and agree on this.

Nope, music was never good.
Quote Metal is generally easier to explain as more complicated music, because of the faster playing, and so people can explain themselves more. And they feel belonged in a group that is relatively large. With Progressive Rock, its harder to communicate the intelligence.

How does complexity equate to intelligence?
Quote The outside listener must really understand music.

Nope.
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The short version would be that "metal" still is a fairly new genre, at least the modern day version of it. I´ve tried playing some Judas Priest from the 70s to some young people(13-17) a while back - and they said it had absolutely nothing to do with metalPinch I agree that metal back then was highly rooted in rock n´roll ( as it is today), but the parallels between the likes of Zep and Purple seem to have deterred somewhat.  

It is funny to me how the early "metal" bands would be considered merely hard rock at best now. I'm not sure what that means, though.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 08:34
For me, I grew up in the '70s listening to bands like Styx, Boston, Kansas, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, REO Speedwagon, Cheap Trick, even a little bit of Black Sabbath and Kiss, The Beatles & The Beach Boys. All this music came from my older brothers and sisters. I loved the Kansas 'Leftoverture' album one of my older brothers had bought on cassette, he liked Carry On Wayward Son, but didn't like the rest of the album, so I kinda appropriated it Smile 

Then in '79 a friend turned me on to Rush - 2112, and I became a huge Rush fanatic, buying all the Rush albums (my first album purchases) but at the same time, I started listening to bands such as Judas Priest, Riot, Iron Maiden, Saxon, and the like.

So in the '80s I was pretty much a metal-head, but still listened to, and loved, bands like Rush, Kansas, Yes, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Dixie Dregs, and others.

A couple of bands in the '80s kinda were prog-metal....Queensryche & Fates Warning, and I loved those bands, mixing my love of metal and prog like almost no one else were doing at the time.

Then I heard Dream Theater's Images And Words album.........

Now, the majority of my cd collection is prog metal. If it's good, I can't get enough of it Embarrassed 

And it's funny, because on another forum I'm known as a power metal freak ('cause I onw tons o' power metal albums/bands, like Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, and such) but really, I have more prog metal albums, and listen to prog metal more than I do power metal.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the modern 'traditional' prog I hear, like IQ, Flower Kings, Presto Ballet, etc. But one can't buy everything on a working man's budget, so I tend to stick to the heavier stuff.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 08:40
I don't think that this happened over a single reason, but actually because a series of them. Some of them were pointed already (lack of complex music in the pop music scene, aggressive music appeal more to the younger audience, metal has a bigger stablished niche public), but there rare also other reasons.

First, progressive rock still have a negative stigma in the eyes of many in the music business and media, what does not necessarely happens with progressive metal.

Second, it is becomming increasingly hard to come across with something new for the rock style of music due to the 60+ years of existance (the saturation of the "rock" musical form), what still does not happened with heavy metal.

Third, there isn't such high a commercial pressure on metal bands than there is on rock bands. There isn't a multi-million album metal band, while there are such rock bands and that commercial pressure from the recording companies may lead the artists to "play safe", what practically does not exist in the metal world.

Edited by CCVP - August 25 2011 at 08:42
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 09:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

THAT is news to me because most metalheads I have talked to do look at JP as metal lords.  You may have a hard time pushing Rocka Rolla but certainly not Stained Class or Killing Machine.  If anything, JP and parts of Rainbow's work with Dio represents the prototype for the "new", or rather, 80s metal. Also, Sabbath's Heaven and Hell album.  On a related note, the fact that I have no problems in accepting Sabbath as metal gets a bit in the way of my prog metal appreciation because I honestly feel Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage are more embracing of "non-metal" influences than what is typically called prog metal and I like prog mainly for a holistic and 'global' outlook of music and not for the technicalities or complexities.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 11:48
I started off listening to bands such as Sabbath, Purple, Rainbow, Led Zep & etc. before getting into prog. Although all of those bands are on this site, I never regarded them as prog in any shape or form, but they were absolutely massive in the 1970's.

Then, after a short lull, NWOBHM hit us with the likes of Maiden, Saxon, and Motorhead, and they were also absolutely huge.

We then had a fair range of heavy bands from over the pond, before grunge took hold, and now an entirely new generation of metal bands, many of whom are thankfully unafraid to both acknowledge and utilise the prog influences they hold dear.

So, in short, metal has never really gone away, and this is merely the latest popular phase of a sub genre which has shown massive resilience for the past 40 odd years. 

As has been said before, it appeals especially to the younger generation. Although I still love the music I listened to in the 1970's & 1980's, much modern prog metal leaves me slightly cold. Some of it is very good, but, by and large, I tend to stay away.

But that's okay. This genre we write about on this site is so vast now so as to appeal to a huge range of generations and people, and I will say that I would bet a tidy amount of money that younger listeners of Dream Theater, Porcupine tree, and the rest, have expanded their musical horizons by buying more "traditional" or "classic" prog simply because they have seen their modern heroes waxing lyrical about them. That is the joy to me.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 14:34
I think its because the metal(ish) genres have been blessed with very good bands,
Tool, The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Green Carnation, Anekdoten, Pain of S. ect ect.
Seems that the other sub genres havent been blessed with that kind of talent the last 5-10 years.

May be due to the fact that i dont know every album out there, but it seems easier to find good new prog metal, than good new albums in the other genres. This comming for someone that is looking hard to get albums in the more relaxed genres.

Edited by tamijo - August 25 2011 at 14:35
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Black Atom Reign View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 14:54
If you Dig any heavier prog you will love "Black Atom Reign" Look it up on facebook or youtube! This needs to be heard!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackAtomReign
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 15:54
Last time I looked there were a whopping 4 prog metal albums in the Top 50 albums list on the front page of PA.
(hardly domination)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>