Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBehold...The Arctopus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Behold...The Arctopus
    Posted: June 27 2005 at 13:48

I should preface this by stating these guys (Behold...The Arctopus) come recommended only in light of those folks who enjoy and lean towards the progressive metal end of the spectrum in perhaps the - yet another sub-category (don't you see how ridiculous this truly is yet?) - technical metal awning a la Watchtower, Spastic Ink, and Spiral Architect.

Now, that out of the way...I saw these guys last night and they were pretty insane albeit with my reservations to come later.  They're a trio: one Warr Guitarist (a variation of the Stick, but hey, I'm sure most of you know this from the likes of Trey Gunn? if not, there you go), one guitarist, and a drummer.  Played 5 songs total; all mostly in the aforementioned style.

The only problem I have with them, is that it gets to the point where all their songs become exercises in tapping, speed, soloing and note blazing...although there's some nice melodies in their latest album...they're, for the most part, all over the place.  Technique over song-writing at this stage, but I think they certainly have promise; if only they'd let some more of the melodies come through and ease up a bit on the assault of...showboating I guess is the word I'm looking for...

Tell me what you think, if you've heard of or find their music! 

progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 12:35
Nice writeup. I'm going to see these guys in Pittsburgh this Saturday. I've only heard the mp3s from their website, but they sound awesome. Going to the show because Time of Orchids is opening - an avant-proggy sort of band who just released a good album on John Zorn's Tzadik label. Was ToO at the show you saw?

For folks who like super-fast technical metal, I recommend checking out the Behold...the Arctopus samples on their website.

http://www.beholdthearctopus.com/
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 15:49

Yes, they were...and to be honest, they were my least favorite of the show...I didn't stay after Behold because I thought no body else was going to top them that night. 

But with Time Of Orchids, I thought the singing was what ruined the band for me...it was, how to put it, lame at times.  I thought it was interesting that the bassist in the band also played Stick...however not very well and not the regular 5 bass 5 guitar strings...the 8 string bass one.  He also played with a kind of mounted pick on his thumb which I've never seen before.  I think the guitarist was the best overall player.  They had some interesting syncopated sections which were tight and played in synch...but as to any melodic aspect of it, even an atonal approach a la Thinking Plague and the rest of the "RIO" bands, was NOT acheived I felt.  Their overall performance kind of turned me off...I dunno.         

progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 17:07
It took quite a while for the Time of Orchids album to grow on me, and yeah, the vocals were a big sticking point. It grew on me, though, and I'm pretty interested to see them live.

I think if I'd seen them live without having heard any of their recordings first, I probably wouldn't have liked them either

I reviewed their latest album recently: http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=too-sw
 Post Reply Post Reply