Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: What was it like in the 60's and 70's?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

What was it like in the 60's and 70's?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
Message
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: August 28 2009
Location: Vineland, N.J.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2562
Post Options Post Options   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What was it like in the 60's and 70's?
    Posted: September 26 2013 at 15:07
A great rock show for me was Blue Oyster Cult at the Shubert theatre, Philadelphia 74' . It was the Secret Treaties tour. Another was when P.F.M. opened for Rory Gallagher at the Spectrum, Philadelphia.
Climax Blues Band, Manfred Manns Earth Band, Ten Years After..Spectrum, Philadelphia
Genesis...Wind and Wuthering tour ..Spectrum, Philadelphia
Return to Forever...Tower Theatre, Philadelphia
Spooky Tooth, Frampton's Camel, The Mahavishnu Orchestra...Spectrum, Philadelphia
Gary Wright, Peter Frampton, Yes...JFK Stadium...Rows of seats were set on fire when YES performed "Ritual". The fire department arrived late and the fire was spreading rapidly. Insane!
 
Sea Level, Jefferson Starship..Spectrum 75"
U.K., Al Dimeola-Tower theatre
ELP-Welcome Back tour..Spectrum
Frank Zappa...Tower theatre 82"  He had the flu as he pointed at everyone singing...you're an a-hole, you're an a-hole
Steeleye Span....flipping excellent my friends!
Back to Top
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: May 16 2009
Location: Blighty
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6229
Post Options Post Options   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 15:40
Wagon Wheels were absolutely bloody enormous in the 70s. Also all the people were much bigger especially in the 60s.
Help me I'm falling!
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 32750
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:24
To be fair, your hands were smaller. And your eyes were closer to the ground.


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: June 09 2004
Location: Front Range
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6738
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 22:09
Originally posted by cstack3

Originally posted by timothy leary

When else but that time period could you see a concert that started with the Eagles and ended with Yes.

Yeah, I saw that tour, it was great!   

September 22, 1972:  Yes with The Eagles, Arie Crown Theater, Chicago

Concerts had so much pot-smoke that it was a challenge to see the stage!  Now, modern concerts are very sanitized, and modern acts feature more choreographed dancing than quality music.  Ugh.  

Age has its advantages.

I saw Californian reggae band Rebelution in  Denver CO, 2012 and trust me there was so much weed being smoked at the concert, that even for a passive smoker like me, I could feel it. No sanitization there at the Fillmore and the cops just looked the other way, or inhaled, not sure which order that tookSmile
Music - The Sound Librarian
...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...
Back to Top
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: August 28 2009
Location: Vineland, N.J.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2562
Post Options Post Options   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 07:55
I remember being 8 years old, buying Beatles 45's, and listening to conversations between adults about The Beatles. ........"Who do they think they are?"...."They can't sing Chuck Berry or Rock n' Roll for that matter"...."They are ruining American music". This was strictly a minority because everywhere I went between 1964 and 1966...all kids and most teenagers wanted to be British....in the same sense of how almost every boy in the 50's wanted to be like Elvis..BUT!...this was different. The British had longer hair...especially Dave Davies or The Pretty Things and people in America were used to Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Fabian, and Elvis if you can picture that? As kids we watched the British bands appear on Ed Sullivian, Shindig, Hullabaloo, Ready, Steady, Go!, Dean Martin Show and when we heard them talk...we wanted to NOT only imitate their accents, but investigate their culture.This is the upmost corny stuff, but I sware to you that it was totally vast and insane!
 
When the British musicians invaded America....they changed Rock music by coloring it more and in general having many more ideas to experiment with than any of the American groups before and even after they hit the music scene. The Beach Boys were unique for their time..however most American Rock bands were directly influenced by the British bands. Love songs were huge on the charts in America, but no one was writing lyrics like "I'll be back again" or "Not a second time", "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" and "Tired of Waiting". Sorry folks..but lyrics like that did not exist in America until the British invaded the Rock n' Roll music scene. And to note..."All Day and All Of The Night" , the unwed father, if you will, of such later classics as Paul Revere & los Raiders' "Just Like Me" and los Doors "Hello , I Love You" was a copy cat , repeated sequence ,by many other American Rock bands as well. Every kid on the bus I rode to school carried British Invasion Rock albums and 45's with them to play in music class. You see those films of girls throwing themselves off a balcony while the Rolling Stones or Beatles are playing on stage...well? everyday life of the kid and teenager in America was just as extreme. Don't think for a minute that when American kids and teenagers went back to school on Monday..that they were forgetting all about British Rock..because it's simply not true. Kids were sent down to the office for singing Beatles songs in class and everywhere in America was British influenced chaos! American kids were hypnotized by British rockers for many years...unlike today where someone , somehow, hit's the big time and fades a year later. I'll remember that magical period when I'm on my deathbed,
Back to Top
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: August 28 2009
Location: Vineland, N.J.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2562
Post Options Post Options   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:23
Disco was hated in the 70's. It was utterly hated by a Rock crowd and a Progressive Rock crowd. Traveling up and down the east coast in various bands...I and a bunch of musicians witnessed the on going violence between Disco boys and Rockers. At the time, Progressive Rock was appealing to fans of "Hard Rock" and so the anti-Disco crowd was a mixed bag of both. The gist was that Disco was to overthrow the Rock music world. We would travel by bus , arrive to the venue, set up, soundcheck, eat, and head back to the gig. Disco fans would stand on one side of the strip and the Rock/Proggers on the other. Rocks were thrown, punches, blood spilled, sometimes knives were pulled in some cases, ....but my point is that it was very dangerous in the 70's when I traveled the road performing the music of Genesis, Jethro Tull, and Yes. From 1 state to another these cruel thrusts existed between both parties. One day..after no longer focusing on the news media, I came to realize that the same group of kids who listened to "Alternative Rock" accepted Disco. Really? I was hearing that same old phrase. It went something like this...."It's all good bro?" I had to physically back away and think it over for a while...for in the 70's..I had witnessed a war. Musicians, booking agents, managers,..we all were aware of the danger between the 2 groups gathering outside of the theatres. Police were always breaking up the massive fights. But all of a sudden...people in "Alternative" bands were telling me..."Disco is cool" , "It's all good". Was that really a change for the good? What did Disco have to offer Progressive Rock other than pushing it off the market? What kind of musical substance existed in Disco? Was there any substance at all?
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 32750
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:32

What has Disco Ever Done For Us?

 
According to David Bowie, then in the middle of recording of his Berlin Trilogy with Brian Eno, its impact on the genre's direction was recognized early on:
One day in Berlin ... Eno came running in and said, "I have heard the sound of the future." ... he puts on "I Feel Love," by Donna Summer ... He said, "This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years." Which was more or less right."
 

 


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 16 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 29271
Post Options Post Options   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:41
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage

Wagon Wheels were absolutely bloody enormous in the 70s.

They were still big in the early 80s

Back to Top
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: March 19 2008
Location: Sweden
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 661
Post Options Post Options   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:43
Originally posted by TODDLER

I remember being 8 years old, buying Beatles 45's, and listening to conversations between adults about The Beatles. ........"Who do they think they are?"...."They can't sing Chuck Berry or Rock n' Roll for that matter"...."They are ruining American music". This was strictly a minority because everywhere I went between 1964 and 1966...all kids and most teenagers wanted to be British....in the same sense of how almost every boy in the 50's wanted to be like Elvis..BUT!...this was different. The British had longer hair...especially Dave Davies or The Pretty Things and people in America were used to Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Fabian, and Elvis if you can picture that? As kids we watched the British bands appear on Ed Sullivian, Shindig, Hullabaloo, Ready, Steady, Go!, Dean Martin Show and when we heard them talk...we wanted to NOT only imitate their accents, but investigate their culture.This is the upmost corny stuff, but I sware to you that it was totally vast and insane!
 
When the British musicians invaded America....they changed Rock music by coloring it more and in general having many more ideas to experiment with than any of the American groups before and even after they hit the music scene. The Beach Boys were unique for their time..however most American Rock bands were directly influenced by the British bands. Love songs were huge on the charts in America, but no one was writing lyrics like "I'll be back again" or "Not a second time", "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" and "Tired of Waiting". Sorry folks..but lyrics like that did not exist in America until the British invaded the Rock n' Roll music scene. And to note..."All Day and All Of The Night" , the unwed father, if you will, of such later classics as Paul Revere & los Raiders' "Just Like Me" and los Doors "Hello , I Love You" was a copy cat , repeated sequence ,by many other American Rock bands as well. Every kid on the bus I rode to school carried British Invasion Rock albums and 45's with them to play in music class. You see those films of girls throwing themselves off a balcony while the Rolling Stones or Beatles are playing on stage...well? everyday life of the kid and teenager in America was just as extreme. Don't think for a minute that when American kids and teenagers went back to school on Monday..that they were forgetting all about British Rock..because it's simply not true. Kids were sent down to the office for singing Beatles songs in class and everywhere in America was British influenced chaos! American kids were hypnotized by British rockers for many years...unlike today where someone , somehow, hit's the big time and fades a year later. I'll remember that magical period when I'm on my deathbed,


This is really interesting since those British Invasion bands were inspired by American Blues and Rock. And Hendrix had to go to London to be recognized as the great talent that he was.

This proves how important cultural mixing is.
Back to Top
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: August 28 2009
Location: Vineland, N.J.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2562
Post Options Post Options   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 15:47
Originally posted by silverpot

Originally posted by TODDLER

I remember being 8 years old, buying Beatles 45's, and listening to conversations between adults about The Beatles. ........"Who do they think they are?"...."They can't sing Chuck Berry or Rock n' Roll for that matter"...."They are ruining American music". This was strictly a minority because everywhere I went between 1964 and 1966...all kids and most teenagers wanted to be British....in the same sense of how almost every boy in the 50's wanted to be like Elvis..BUT!...this was different. The British had longer hair...especially Dave Davies or The Pretty Things and people in America were used to Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Fabian, and Elvis if you can picture that? As kids we watched the British bands appear on Ed Sullivian, Shindig, Hullabaloo, Ready, Steady, Go!, Dean Martin Show and when we heard them talk...we wanted to NOT only imitate their accents, but investigate their culture.This is the upmost corny stuff, but I sware to you that it was totally vast and insane!
 
When the British musicians invaded America....they changed Rock music by coloring it more and in general having many more ideas to experiment with than any of the American groups before and even after they hit the music scene. The Beach Boys were unique for their time..however most American Rock bands were directly influenced by the British bands. Love songs were huge on the charts in America, but no one was writing lyrics like "I'll be back again" or "Not a second time", "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" and "Tired of Waiting". Sorry folks..but lyrics like that did not exist in America until the British invaded the Rock n' Roll music scene. And to note..."All Day and All Of The Night" , the unwed father, if you will, of such later classics as Paul Revere & los Raiders' "Just Like Me" and los Doors "Hello , I Love You" was a copy cat , repeated sequence ,by many other American Rock bands as well. Every kid on the bus I rode to school carried British Invasion Rock albums and 45's with them to play in music class. You see those films of girls throwing themselves off a balcony while the Rolling Stones or Beatles are playing on stage...well? everyday life of the kid and teenager in America was just as extreme. Don't think for a minute that when American kids and teenagers went back to school on Monday..that they were forgetting all about British Rock..because it's simply not true. Kids were sent down to the office for singing Beatles songs in class and everywhere in America was British influenced chaos! American kids were hypnotized by British rockers for many years...unlike today where someone , somehow, hit's the big time and fades a year later. I'll remember that magical period when I'm on my deathbed,


This is really interesting since those British Invasion bands were inspired by American Blues and Rock. And Hendrix had to go to London to be recognized as the great talent that he was.

This proves how important cultural mixing is.
I agree and their heroes were American Blues and Rock artists. Because they had a different approach to Rock music that a majority of people in the U.S. were not aware of...until 64'...it shocked and excited everyone for sure.
Back to Top
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: August 28 2009
Location: Vineland, N.J.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2562
Post Options Post Options   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 16:11
In the early 70's I was subjected/exposed to disturbing realities in my hometown. The idea for youths to form Satan cults was widespread and also related to isolated tragic events across the U.S. for decades. If bodies were discovered by the police and connected to a ritual practiced by a group of youths, it would hit the newspapers, the news on T.V., the accused were incarcerated and it was basically summed up as a common psychological pattern produced by teenagers who already had bad upbringing or mental problems that had never been properly addressed. For many years...music was to blame. Music and lyrics. From experience...I cannot ever believe that all of this stems from the youth as a whole to take it upon themselves to buy their little costumes of black hooded cloaks and perform rituals all on their own.
 
 
Clearly the people who programmed my childhood friends had lots and lots of money. They had prominent positions in the community and programmed kids my age who were completely and mentally unstable. Kids who fooled about with LSD because they had desires to kill themselves. Private desires that is. They had money and power to control the sect and they were not by any means young. Much of this is written as conspiracy theories by individuals today and many skeptics find it laughable. I don't believe everything is true in publication because writers are spicing it up to make a living..but nevertheless it does exist. I know....if I say so right? But seriously...there is truth to it. They are more organized than "lost boy" youths and they will kill you if they have to..and they will NOT leave marks for federal officers to discover. That's what I experienced in the early 70's and every Halloween I think about it. 
 
Most or even all newspaper articles on Vineland N.J. were wiped clean from the internet in the last 10 years. Why..I don't know? One in particular was out of a Miami newspaper. It may have been called "The Miami Times" but I checked it out and it stated that in 1971 , Pastor Harry Snook (RIP), deprogrammed a total of 90 teenage devil worshippers in Vineland. That article sticks more to the truth of the tragic events in the town and leaves room for detailed observation on the corruption there. The actual sect was interrogated with little results of conviction. The only choice Vineland and it's surrounding towns had was to set up Christian stations/housing to convert the kids. The hesitation to push the incidents further for investigation was ruled out in court by a judge..and this was unfortunately after the entire police force conducted a 2 year investigation which involved scoping out all the vast wooded areas, harassing members of the Chestnut Assembly of God Church and the interrogation of many teenage witnesses. According to investigators..the members of the church were leading the life of duel personalities, pretending to be Christians ..but actually belonging to a Satan worshippers sect and programming teenagers. High society members who had revolted against "The Church of Satan" on the west coast had settled in Vineland to form their own sect to practice rituals that were forbidden by Anton himself. I know this all too well from experience...however it was printed on Christian websites as far back as 2004...and then deleted. Why? I don't know? It might make a good movie or book..but without the hokey or corny representation witchcraft and devil worship is often given in Hollywood.Wink But maybe I place emphasis on this because I truly DO NOT believe in the supernatural. I was scared between 1966 and 1971 and shortly after 71' I was weary about continuing to live there. A person recently contacted me who lives in California and lived through the darkworld in Vineland. There are things they do not understand about their past and think that I can help them. Shocked


Edited by TODDLER - September 27 2013 at 18:19
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 32750
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 17:20
Originally posted by Padraic

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage

Wagon Wheels were absolutely bloody enormous in the 70s.

They were still big in the early 80s

"It's so big you gotta grin to get it in..."
 
 
 


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 22 2010
Location: Indiana
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4066
Post Options Post Options   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 20:53
Originally posted by TODDLER

In the early 70's I was subjected/exposed to disturbing realities in my hometown. The idea for youths to form Satan cults was widespread and also related to isolated tragic events across the U.S. for decades. If bodies were discovered by the police and connected to a ritual practiced by a group of youths, it would hit the newspapers, the news on T.V., the accused were incarcerated and it was basically summed up as a common psychological pattern produced by teenagers who already had bad upbringing or mental problems that had never been properly addressed. For many years...music was to blame. Music and lyrics. From experience...I cannot ever believe that all of this stems from the youth as a whole to take it upon themselves to buy their little costumes of black hooded cloaks and perform rituals all on their own.
 
 
Clearly the people who programmed my childhood friends had lots and lots of money. They had prominent positions in the community and programmed kids my age who were completely and mentally unstable. Kids who fooled about with LSD because they had desires to kill themselves. Private desires that is. They had money and power to control the sect and they were not by any means young. Much of this is written as conspiracy theories by individuals today and many skeptics find it laughable. I don't believe everything is true in publication because writers are spicing it up to make a living..but nevertheless it does exist. I know....if I say so right? But seriously...there is truth to it. They are more organized than "lost boy" youths and they will kill you if they have to..and they will NOT leave marks for federal officers to discover. That's what I experienced in the early 70's and every Halloween I think about it. 
 
Most or even all newspaper articles on Vineland N.J. were wiped clean from the internet in the last 10 years. Why..I don't know? One in particular was out of a Miami newspaper. It may have been called "The Miami Times" but I checked it out and it stated that in 1971 , Pastor Harry Snook (RIP), deprogrammed a total of 90 teenage devil worshippers in Vineland. That article sticks more to the truth of the tragic events in the town and leaves room for detailed observation on the corruption there. The actual sect was interrogated with little results of conviction. The only choice Vineland and it's surrounding towns had was to set up Christian stations/housing to convert the kids. The hesitation to push the incidents further for investigation was ruled out in court by a judge..and this was unfortunately after the entire police force conducted a 2 year investigation which involved scoping out all the vast wooded areas, harassing members of the Chestnut Assembly of God Church and the interrogation of many teenage witnesses. According to investigators..the members of the church were leading the life of duel personalities, pretending to be Christians ..but actually belonging to a Satan worshippers sect and programming teenagers. High society members who had revolted against "The Church of Satan" on the west coast had settled in Vineland to form their own sect to practice rituals that were forbidden by Anton himself. I know this all too well from experience...however it was printed on Christian websites as far back as 2004...and then deleted. Why? I don't know? It might make a good movie or book..but without the hokey or corny representation witchcraft and devil worship is often given in Hollywood.Wink But maybe I place emphasis on this because I truly DO NOT believe in the supernatural. I was scared between 1966 and 1971 and shortly after 71' I was weary about continuing to live there. A person recently contacted me who lives in California and lived through the darkworld in Vineland. There are things they do not understand about their past and think that I can help them. Shocked
 
Did I accidentally stumble into the Twilight Zone or is this the false memory thread...?
Wink
 
 
Et In Arcadia Ego
Back to Top
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: July 20 2009
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2244
Post Options Post Options   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 22:06
Originally posted by dr wu23

Originally posted by TODDLER

In the early 70's I was subjected/exposed to disturbing realities in my hometown. The idea for youths to form Satan cults was widespread and also related to isolated tragic events across the U.S. for decades. If bodies were discovered by the police and connected to a ritual practiced by a group of youths, it would hit the newspapers, the news on T.V., the accused were incarcerated and it was basically summed up as a common psychological pattern produced by teenagers who already had bad upbringing or mental problems that had never been properly addressed. For many years...music was to blame. Music and lyrics. From experience...I cannot ever believe that all of this stems from the youth as a whole to take it upon themselves to buy their little costumes of black hooded cloaks and perform rituals all on their own.
 
 
Clearly the people who programmed my childhood friends had lots and lots of money. They had prominent positions in the community and programmed kids my age who were completely and mentally unstable. Kids who fooled about with LSD because they had desires to kill themselves. Private desires that is. They had money and power to control the sect and they were not by any means young. Much of this is written as conspiracy theories by individuals today and many skeptics find it laughable. I don't believe everything is true in publication because writers are spicing it up to make a living..but nevertheless it does exist. I know....if I say so right? But seriously...there is truth to it. They are more organized than "lost boy" youths and they will kill you if they have to..and they will NOT leave marks for federal officers to discover. That's what I experienced in the early 70's and every Halloween I think about it. 
 
Most or even all newspaper articles on Vineland N.J. were wiped clean from the internet in the last 10 years. Why..I don't know? One in particular was out of a Miami newspaper. It may have been called "The Miami Times" but I checked it out and it stated that in 1971 , Pastor Harry Snook (RIP), deprogrammed a total of 90 teenage devil worshippers in Vineland. That article sticks more to the truth of the tragic events in the town and leaves room for detailed observation on the corruption there. The actual sect was interrogated with little results of conviction. The only choice Vineland and it's surrounding towns had was to set up Christian stations/housing to convert the kids. The hesitation to push the incidents further for investigation was ruled out in court by a judge..and this was unfortunately after the entire police force conducted a 2 year investigation which involved scoping out all the vast wooded areas, harassing members of the Chestnut Assembly of God Church and the interrogation of many teenage witnesses. According to investigators..the members of the church were leading the life of duel personalities, pretending to be Christians ..but actually belonging to a Satan worshippers sect and programming teenagers. High society members who had revolted against "The Church of Satan" on the west coast had settled in Vineland to form their own sect to practice rituals that were forbidden by Anton himself. I know this all too well from experience...however it was printed on Christian websites as far back as 2004...and then deleted. Why? I don't know? It might make a good movie or book..but without the hokey or corny representation witchcraft and devil worship is often given in Hollywood.Wink But maybe I place emphasis on this because I truly DO NOT believe in the supernatural. I was scared between 1966 and 1971 and shortly after 71' I was weary about continuing to live there. A person recently contacted me who lives in California and lived through the darkworld in Vineland. There are things they do not understand about their past and think that I can help them. Shocked
 
Did I accidentally stumble into the Twilight Zone or is this the false memory thread...?
Wink
 
 

No, this is true American history!  I remember some of this in Chicago during the 1960's and 1970's, but I didn't get as close to it as Toddler did.   There was a real paranoia in the USA regarding Satanism, to the point that it was the subject of a rather amazing episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour"  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394086/

I watched that on Hulu a couple of years ago and was totally creeped out!!   "Rosemary's Baby" also came out of that time, and music like "Black Mass" by Lucifer, "Lucifer's Friend" etc.  

Come, come, come to the Sabbat!  Come to the Sabbat, Satan's there! Evil Smile
Back to Top
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: August 28 2009
Location: Vineland, N.J.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2562
Post Options Post Options   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 06:11
Originally posted by cstack3

Originally posted by dr wu23

Originally posted by TODDLER

In the early 70's I was subjected/exposed to disturbing realities in my hometown. The idea for youths to form Satan cults was widespread and also related to isolated tragic events across the U.S. for decades. If bodies were discovered by the police and connected to a ritual practiced by a group of youths, it would hit the newspapers, the news on T.V., the accused were incarcerated and it was basically summed up as a common psychological pattern produced by teenagers who already had bad upbringing or mental problems that had never been properly addressed. For many years...music was to blame. Music and lyrics. From experience...I cannot ever believe that all of this stems from the youth as a whole to take it upon themselves to buy their little costumes of black hooded cloaks and perform rituals all on their own.
 
 
Clearly the people who programmed my childhood friends had lots and lots of money. They had prominent positions in the community and programmed kids my age who were completely and mentally unstable. Kids who fooled about with LSD because they had desires to kill themselves. Private desires that is. They had money and power to control the sect and they were not by any means young. Much of this is written as conspiracy theories by individuals today and many skeptics find it laughable. I don't believe everything is true in publication because writers are spicing it up to make a living..but nevertheless it does exist. I know....if I say so right? But seriously...there is truth to it. They are more organized than "lost boy" youths and they will kill you if they have to..and they will NOT leave marks for federal officers to discover. That's what I experienced in the early 70's and every Halloween I think about it. 
 
Most or even all newspaper articles on Vineland N.J. were wiped clean from the internet in the last 10 years. Why..I don't know? One in particular was out of a Miami newspaper. It may have been called "The Miami Times" but I checked it out and it stated that in 1971 , Pastor Harry Snook (RIP), deprogrammed a total of 90 teenage devil worshippers in Vineland. That article sticks more to the truth of the tragic events in the town and leaves room for detailed observation on the corruption there. The actual sect was interrogated with little results of conviction. The only choice Vineland and it's surrounding towns had was to set up Christian stations/housing to convert the kids. The hesitation to push the incidents further for investigation was ruled out in court by a judge..and this was unfortunately after the entire police force conducted a 2 year investigation which involved scoping out all the vast wooded areas, harassing members of the Chestnut Assembly of God Church and the interrogation of many teenage witnesses. According to investigators..the members of the church were leading the life of duel personalities, pretending to be Christians ..but actually belonging to a Satan worshippers sect and programming teenagers. High society members who had revolted against "The Church of Satan" on the west coast had settled in Vineland to form their own sect to practice rituals that were forbidden by Anton himself. I know this all too well from experience...however it was printed on Christian websites as far back as 2004...and then deleted. Why? I don't know? It might make a good movie or book..but without the hokey or corny representation witchcraft and devil worship is often given in Hollywood.Wink But maybe I place emphasis on this because I truly DO NOT believe in the supernatural. I was scared between 1966 and 1971 and shortly after 71' I was weary about continuing to live there. A person recently contacted me who lives in California and lived through the darkworld in Vineland. There are things they do not understand about their past and think that I can help them. Shocked
 
Did I accidentally stumble into the Twilight Zone or is this the false memory thread...?
Wink
 
 

No, this is true American history!  I remember some of this in Chicago during the 1960's and 1970's, but I didn't get as close to it as Toddler did.   There was a real paranoia in the USA regarding Satanism, to the point that it was the subject of a rather amazing episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour"  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394086/

I watched that on Hulu a couple of years ago and was totally creeped out!!   "Rosemary's Baby" also came out of that time, and music like "Black Mass" by Lucifer, "Lucifer's Friend" etc.  

Come, come, come to the Sabbat!  Come to the Sabbat, Satan's there! Evil Smile
People today..just don't believe it. Why? Why can't it be true? Because people made money off it that's why and raised doubt in society. "Satanic Panic" of the 80's has not 1 single thing to do with my experiences. No comparision whatsoever. This was the early 70's and just for the record....I have nothing to do with it being in my life. I was born there and it's sweet little presence waltzed into my life. What am I suppose to do, pretend it didn't happen? Point is...I didn't ask for it! and that angers me...the fate angers me...the few who were chosen as if to say..that some nucklehead rolled the dice and my friends were tortured/abused and that angers me. thanks for your post.
Back to Top
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Joined: September 03 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5480
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 06:17
I experienced something interesting today which  made me wonder how some of you folks on this forum who were around in the 70s accessed the music of the great prog rock bands at that time.   The only 'international music' radio station (read 'Western rock and pop') in my city thinks it is a great idea to play back the American Top 40 shows of various dates again.  Maybe some retro-cum-trivia enthusiasts like that, wouldn't know.  But today I stumbled on this broadcast in the middle of a long drive.   In the 40 minutes or so that I got to listen to it before I reached home, it got from no. 40 to no. 33.   The only song that grabbed me at all of those was ostensibly no. 40 -  ABBA's Fernando.  I know that is not exactly a favourite of prog rockers and that song is not even one of those that I like of the group.  But the others were (or at least felt so to me) utterly generic and made no impression on me.  In other words, exactly mirroring my experience when I listen to the same radio station play the top hits of these days.   It also reminded me of Dean's many essays on the subject attempting to demolish the myth of the 70s.  LOL

This was some week in 1976 but it led me to wonder exactly how many weeks in the 70s as such would have been filled with amazing Top 40 music.   I guess you must have known people who liked prog rock or were introduced to magazines or radio stations that did cover prog rock because the top 40 wouldn't be a very good guide for anybody who is easily put off by generic pop music.   
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 32750
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 08:35
Originally posted by rogerthat

I experienced something interesting today which  made me wonder how some of you folks on this forum who were around in the 70s accessed the music of the great prog rock bands at that time.   The only 'international music' radio station (read 'Western rock and pop') in my city thinks it is a great idea to play back the American Top 40 shows of various dates again.  Maybe some retro-cum-trivia enthusiasts like that, wouldn't know.  But today I stumbled on this broadcast in the middle of a long drive.   In the 40 minutes or so that I got to listen to it before I reached home, it got from no. 40 to no. 33.   The only song that grabbed me at all of those was ostensibly no. 40 -  ABBA's Fernando.  I know that is not exactly a favourite of prog rockers and that song is not even one of those that I like of the group.  But the others were (or at least felt so to me) utterly generic and made no impression on me.  In other words, exactly mirroring my experience when I listen to the same radio station play the top hits of these days.   It also reminded me of Dean's many essays on the subject attempting to demolish the myth of the 70s.  LOL

This was some week in 1976 but it led me to wonder exactly how many weeks in the 70s as such would have been filled with amazing Top 40 music.   I guess you must have known people who liked prog rock or were introduced to magazines or radio stations that did cover prog rock because the top 40 wouldn't be a very good guide for anybody who is easily put off by generic pop music.   
In the UK there were five main ways in which I got to hear new music in the 70s:
 
1. The radio - eventhough all of day-time radio was given over to a strict Top-40 playlist (and at that time we had no official commercial radio in the UK - it was either the BBC, pirate radio or in the evenings Radio Luxembourg - they were all Top-40 oriented), the evening and nighttime programming was more eclectic and varied. I first heard Tangerine Dream, Van der Graaf Generator, Tyranasaurus Rex and Frank Zappa on late-night radio. All those DJs, including John Peel and Annie Nightingale would later discard and disapprove of Prog, but they didn't in the early 70s - they pioneered and promoted it (along with their careers I cynically add). Even at its peak, progressive rock never featured on day-time Top-40 programming, even when tracks by Family or Jethro Tull were in the Top-40. (the BBC had this strange concept of the quintessential day-time listener - which was the stay-at-home housewife, and "she" would never approve of that kind of thing...)
 
2. The rock press - the weekly rock press in the UK (Melody Maker, New Musical Express and Sounds) formed a very important part in informing the eager public with the latest music, and that included underground and progressive music. The journo's who later villified Prog were avid supporters of the scene at the time (again career progression and self-important self-promotion of those journalists clouds the issue towards the end of the decade). While you couldn't actually hear any music that way, it brought those artists to your attention so when you saw it in a record shop you would give it a listen. I first noticed The Enid by a short 100 word review in Melody maker.
 
3. The Record Shop and the Listening Booth - all record shops played music while you shopped and they would occasionally be playing something progressive if it suited them, most (I think actually, all) had listening booths or just a headphones so you could listen to an album before you bought it. Often a listening booth would be crowded with kids all listening to the same tracks after school untill the shop assistant decided you'd had enough and kicked you out. I first heard H to He, Le Orme and Seventh Wave's  Things to Come in a listening booth.
 
4. School Friends and Sharing - sharing music is as old as music, even before the popularity of the C90 cassette or dig it all downloads we shared music between us, in the playground, in the common room, on the bus journey home albums would be poured over, discussed, raved about and shared. I would guess that most of the music I heard and subsequently bought was the result of a friend lending me the album - I got into White Noise, TONTO, Queen, Floyd, Yes, PFM and Hendrix this way.
 
5. Label Samplers, Budget releases and Greatest Hits - now-a-days we tend to be dismissive of Various Artists, Budget proce re-releases and Greatest Hits releases but in the 70s they were a valuable way of getting to hear new music because they were cheap and contained several artists that you'd never hear any other way. Budget releases such as Genesis Live, The Faust Tapes, Can Unlimited, Phallus Dei and Camenbert Electrique were often the first time many of us had experienced these bands and Label Samplers such as Nice Enough To Eat, "V", The Age of Atlantic or Bumpers introduced us to bands who were stable-mates of artists we already liked.
 
 
There was a sixth way, but that didn't figure quite as highly on the day-to-day side, and that was live gigs, mostly because you usually went to a gig because you already had the album - it was rare to pick-up on a new band because they were playing support to someone you already liked.
 


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Joined: September 03 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5480
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 08:52
^^^  Interesting...I did hear Rush, DP and JT for the first time on a compilation tape that I got somewhere during the dying throes of the tape as a popular music format.   Yes, VA or compilations are not much in favour anymore but that may also be because the internet has changed the pattern of distribution of music.   Even in the 90s, the greatest hits was not a bad way to explore an artist or genre for the first time before digging deep into the catalogue simply because there were not too many other ways (barring radio or MTV, that is) to actually get to listen to an artist.  
Back to Top
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Joined: September 03 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5480
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 08:54
I don't know what mainstream radio programming for the evenings is like THESE days in the UK.  Down here, evenings is all out top 40 pop interspersed with retro.  That is also down to the fact that a vast majority of music listeners in the country are simply not interested in offbeat stuff anyway, so playing them on the radio serves no purpose.   It's better to cater to same old same old for them.
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 32750
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 09:09
Originally posted by rogerthat

I don't know what mainstream radio programming for the evenings is like THESE days in the UK.  Down here, evenings is all out top 40 pop interspersed with retro.  That is also down to the fact that a vast majority of music listeners in the country are simply not interested in offbeat stuff anyway, so playing them on the radio serves no purpose.   It's better to cater to same old same old for them.
Mainly dance and urban from what I recall, I seldom tune-in to the radio these days.


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz

This page was generated in 0.328 seconds.