Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat was it like in the 60's and 70's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 13:16
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Anyone who had sex in the 1960s will be in their 70s now

Possibly mid 60s, but yeah.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 22:52
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

...On the radio were some odd proggish gems such as Bungle in the Jungle by Tull, that i used to hum,  and many times I heard PF's Money and ABITWpart2. The 70s soon dies out and after college it was the dreaded 80s and i forgot prog altogether and got heavily into Ultravox, Visage and Yes...

I'm relieved to learn I wasn't the only Progger that fell for Visage. At least their first album, along with it's sister Ultravox's Vienna, was a seductive slice of slickness. I'm a bit embarrassed to look back at it now, but at the time it just felt right. It was the David Bowie gateway from the 70's into the '80's.
Hanson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 09:29
My first experience of prog was when I went to see Lindisfarne in Manchester (UK) in '72 and Genesis were supporting (All at A COST OF £1.10 - Oh the good old days!!). I had never heard of Genesis!  Iwas blown and was hooked on prog from then on...

There were many concerts around at that time and LPs weren't too difficult to get hold of in the UK. especially as I wasn't far form the city.I saw bands such as Camel,Kansas, ELP Yes & Greenslade to name a few. Yes there was a lot of showmanship and over the top stage sets but it made for graet entertainmentt in my opinion. I regularly went on recommendations to see bands i knew very little of and was rarely disappointed

I am pleased to see there has been a bit of a resurgence lately with bands such as Astra (form San Diego), Touchstone  and Mostly Autimn., I love long tracks rather than short 3/4 minures ones

The 70s were great  for Prog but times move on - They were both bad but mainly good things baout the 70s (my era).
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 10:34
^Do you recall if Triumvirat ever played the UK in the seventies?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 13:14
How could I know how it was in the 70's, I was freaking high all the time Smoke
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 15:02

Anyone who had sex in the 1960s will be in their 70s now and based upon the ages of peeps posting here, that's no one present, so we're all guessing.

Wait ... I'm 62! (Born in '50)

And you know you is wong according to the Firesign Theater!

But I was a weergeen until much later! And the gas fumes from the Harley over dinner were scrumptious! But that voice ... you know that is the part I remember the best from that show?

Edited by moshkito - July 16 2013 at 15:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 00:29
Originally posted by logoman logoman wrote:

1970. Hardware shop selling albums at the back of the store. Ignorant 14 year old stumbles on this treasure trove of "contemporary music".
Life changing. Prog creeps into the blood. Vinyl albums offer multiple experiences.Sight,sound and even the smell of said vinyl. The artwork, gatefold sleeves, lyric sheets, music to challenge your mind,a whole world to be explored.
Now its all clinical. Too easy to access. No saving up hard cash for the next album experience. All readily found in a click.
This is more than an old git bemoaning times past it's a fundamental absence of much that made music exploration a pleasure.

Nah. I've got a twenty dollar bill pinned to the wall, saving for when Dream Theater's new album comes out.
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 01:38
Music across the boards.. from recordings to radio to concerts was better.  Better.. I mean in a quality sense.. not convenient.

Concerts were affordable.. for most anyone.  We were more concerned about GETTING to the concert than paying $10 for a ticket to see YES or Robin Trower.

Musicians had a much higher bar to compare themselves to.  Whether rock or prog.. bands had to practice.  Musicians had a lot less distractions.  No internet, texting or cell phone calls during rehearsal.  Music sound better because anyone who had a quality set up had BIG SPEAKERS and tube amps.. not thes cheap flimsy ipods and smart phone with plastic ear buds that most people are listening to.

Radio was better because you could find an educated DJ who had control of his show.. and would TURN PEOPLE ON to good stuff.  You would follow a DJ's show.. and learn about stuff.  If you got to know a DJ... you might be able to record some of his albums that you couldn't get onto a cassette tape and listen to it that way.. and it could SOUND GOOD on analog tape if you recorded it correctly. 

Festivals were a great way to discover new bands.. you would see Gentle Giant playing with Black Sabbath or Santana. 

Another important element is that there were HOT CHICKS who dug PROG.. believe it or not.  I once met a 20 year old girl who loved to have sex to side one of Tales From Topographic Oceans.  Find a girl like that now that age.. good luck. 

Techno didn't exist yet.. nor did silly 80's hair metal bands. 

Rush was a great band playing complex hard rock with wonderful compositions and execution.. not having to use computers as a crutch. 

Bands were forced to keep it real and record onto tape machines.. not copy and pasting sound files on a computer and proclaiming to be musicians.

The college circuit offered a great way for more experimental bands to find a great audience.  Now college radio is playing too much computer music. 

Vinyl records helped you get into the band more.. all the great artwork.. lyrics.. posters.. etc.  now it's a download of a crappy MP3 file.  What a joke.

All the great bands did it without computers. 

Computers ruined music.

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 02:09
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

Computers ruined music.

It all went wrong with the invention of metal strings. Havent sounded natural for the last 160 years or so.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 03:35
In the 60s most people listen to music on one of these:

and to the radio on one of these:

In the 1970s the "music centre" was the most common form of "hifi":

Nostalgia is seeing the world through rose-tinted spectacles.
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 04:45
^ Until you could get access to a recording studio in the 60's and 70's you were effectively locked out from entering the market unless an A&R man caught you at a live show etc. I also think that anyone who was involved in making music at home on an amateur budget between say 1980 and 1995, would remember the revolutionary cassette based portastudio, which facilitated very limited multitrack overdubbing capability. The limitation was that after you bounced more than once, everything sounded like it was recorded in a wind tunnel. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are generations who did not have the luxury of being able to pursue the facile debate that digital is harsh and cold v analogue is warmer etc. The increase in fidelity afforded by something like the advent of DAT was pure heaven to my ears at the time.

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 17 2013 at 04:48
jaycoh56 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 08:54
There were far more "indy" record stores and a lot were dedicated to "prog" music plus, you had the option of getting the domestic version or the imported version (or both). The radio stations were more likely to introduce you to those bands aw well (I first heard Gentle Giant "Three Friends" on the radio). Those were the days!
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 02:04
The A and R departments of the major record labels in the 60's and 70's did a MUCH Better job of finding talent than they have for the last 30 years. 

The access of cheap multitracking on DAT and computers hasn't improved music. 

The underground tape trading market place through magazines and word of mouth actually produced better final product once it was in the hands of producers and engineers who understood the art of analog tape recording, mixing and mastering.

Computers have ruined music because it's offering too many quick fix options.. and not FORCING the musicians to get their sh*t together.

Kids are spending WAY too much time on computers and dumb pods rather than grinding it out on their instrument of choice.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 23:26
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I also think that anyone who was involved in making music at home on an amateur budget between say 1980 and 1995, would remember the revolutionary cassette based portastudio, which facilitated very limited multitrack overdubbing capability. The limitation was that after you bounced more than once, everything sounded like it was recorded in a wind tunnel. 

I remember buying a 4 channel Tascam Cassette Portastudio in '85.  Their advert was the cover of Sgt Peppers with the caption..."What will you do with a 4 channel recording studio?"   Wink
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 07:12
What is now our Classic Rock station used to play an entire album at midnight, usually a new release. Not always prog of course, but often enough. The dj would take calls during it and people would comment on it and he would read the comments afterwards. I remember hearing a lot of Prog that way.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 07:30

Not to mention that the price of an album was very high campared to the wages of especialy younger people.
Making a collection of just 100 albums, was almost impossible for young people, most of had 30-50 albums to chose between.
The price was almost the same as today, but the wages was very low.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 07:58
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Not to mention that the price of an album was very high campared to the wages of especialy younger people.
Making a collection of just 100 albums, was almost impossible for young people, most of had 30-50 albums to chose between.
Absolutely. The price of music has remained pretty much constant since the late 80s. I remember not buying Tales From Topographic Oceans when it was released simply because I could not afford it. Wages were such that if I behaved myself and was very careful with my budget I could just about manage to buy an album every two weeks. Of course that makes the 300+ albums I did buy between 1971 and 1980 all the more special.
What?
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 08:21
^ So true! The elation I felt when I made a good choice was matched only by the disappointment I felt when I made a bad one. Buying albums was a big deal back then. I remember waiting years (or so it seemed) to buy Living in the Past because it was a double album and cost 30% more than a single album. But when I did I was so thrilled with the music and the 12"x12" book of photos it ended up being the best $12.00 (or whatever it was) I ever spent. Compare that to the disappointment when I bought A, or Asia, or Duke, or Love Beach... of course it was the '80's by then and it happened a lot.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 09:43

Let alone needing to have always ready your 'survival kit' with reserve stylus, stylus cleaning brush, disc cleaning / anti-static liquid and cloth, phillips screwdriver, scissors and cello tape for fixing the jammed cassette tapes... (which would result in a cut in the music which you reluctantly accepted), and the always lingering doubt whether it was better to keep the LPs in paper or plastic inner covers, and whatever was your opinion, your getting pissed off when you bought a new LP and it was protected by the sort of cover you thought was not the right one LOL

And for the musicians themselves, maintaining a Mellotron in smooth working order required more dedication that a sick pet puppy, often a dedicated guy for the big bands which could afford it.

Edited by Gerinski - July 19 2013 at 09:45
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 11:47

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Absolutely. The price of music has remained pretty much constant since the late 80s. I remember not buying Tales From Topographic Oceans when it was released simply because I could not afford it. Wages were such that if I behaved myself and was very careful with my budget I could just about manage to buy an album every two weeks. Of course that makes the 300+ albums I did buy between 1971 and 1980 all the more special.

Yes it was a big deal to buy an LP then. You'd have to save up to be able to. On the other hand, there wasn't much else to spend money on, only books. It was always a dilemma, what do I want the most, a book or a record.  

Today there are so many expensive distractions from what's important in life.  Can't believe how much money young people  spend on clothes for instance, just because they want a certain brand.  LOL 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>