Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat was it like in the 60's and 70's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 01:01
or how about house parties, cool ones with tons of mellow people and good drugs, and after you left one you'd go to (crash) another

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 01:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

or how about house parties, cool ones with tons of mellow people and good drugs, and after you left one you'd go to (crash) another

They were everywhere in the 70's. It was vast!  There were also plenty of Jesus freak homes. The label "Jesus Freak" was everywhere and they would approach you and make attempts to convert you based on the corruption of the times we were living in. Some of them were cults and I used to pretend I had a hearing problem and walk in the other direction. I never liked dealing with people who were trying to sell me something. I realized the world was screwed up as I was in the music business for Christ sake! I witnessed people overdose all the time and blood and violence for 30 years. As you grow older and being in the thicket of that....you start thinking and acting anti-social and just wanting to escape. The audience was working in the daytime and living the simple life. They would show to gigs and support you witnessing themselves the occasional drug overdose or knife fight. You are up on stage 6 nights a week with 1 week off a year....and witnessing that crap 24/7 ...I think that is crazy.  
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 01:36
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Let's see if you remember this.........Playing clubs up and down the strip..sometimes Disco clubs would be on one side of the street and Rock clubs on the other. Rock audiences were angered about Disco and thought it would over throw the Rock music world and so they picked fights with each other in the street. Rock vs. Disco was what it was all about in the mid to late 70's.....man! and these kids would be beating the crap out of each other as I'd be walking into the venue. It's really strange thinking of it now. It seems ridiculous now, but back then it was the real world. They dressed with different codes and hated each other. Girls who were into Rock would get drunk and throw  whatever they could find....at them.
In the 70's an audience that watched or danced to a cover band would give a standing ovation just for a decent guitar solo. By 1984 it was progressing the other way. Now it felt like the audience couldn't give a hoot if you were standing on stage playing like Larry Carlton or Steve Howe. Most people weren't interested anymore. Then there was this resurgence of Stevie Ray Vaughn bringing lead guitar back into the scene along with the speed demon players in Metal, but it didn't have the same magnitude of the early 70's when everyone it seemed was drinking, getting high and waiting to see a decent Rock guitarist. I can only speak for the east coast. It may have been different in the midwest or west coast. Nevertheless it would appear now that all of those realities did change.

I don't remember any real fights, but there was a lot of animosity between rockers and disco-dorks in California.  Maybe we were just a little more mellow than the East coast back then.  You can guess which side I was on.  I was really excited at the end of the 80s because there was a lot of great guitar around.  Not just Stevie Ray, but Vai, Satch, Johnson, Healy.  And then Grunge happened and nobody cared again.  Unhappy
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 01:39

Really cool that someone mentioned Jade Warrior. I've hardly crossed paths with anyone in the world who knows of them. This post brings back some visuals for me. .

Greetings from one Jade Warrior freak to another!  Handshake
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 01:52

What was it like in the 60's and 70's in Vineland N.J.?  George Dayner had built the "Palace of Depression" in Vineland N.J and it attracted witches and Satan worshippers to the town for decades. One sect in particular had revolted against Anton's Church of Satan on the west coast and they settled in Vineland. In 1971 police handcuffed kids in our classrooms who were brainwashed by the sect. A young man age 21 who tutored students in our school was sacrificed in a Satan ritual. Charles Pangburn conducted a 2 year investigation and found evidence of an underground sect. There was the brutal murder of Roger Carletto in 1957 by the hand of Juan Rivera Aponte who performed a Black Magic ritual on the boy. The 3rd generation Watchtower society was channeling demons through a young girl in Mill Woods. She later confessed that she was abused by the cult. Four doctors and one nurse gave the girl's father Rx's and she was drug induced for rituals. Satan cults held gatherings in wooded areas and if you were camping you could hear the sing song chanting which later developed into screams and cries. All through the 80's as well. Vampire cults, Satan cults, corrupted JW's and you name it. That is why I left for the road at age 18.

Satan was in the media during the 70's, but fads had little to do with reason or cause then. The "Satanic Panic" of the 80's brought on the interest of "Heavy Metal" youth, but this was different. We had no such terms and no such realities. Vineland sects were controlled mainly by elderly and wealthy members and Satan cults that met in the woods were just a cheap extension of that. I think the entire place was a bit like the "Dark Shadows" series.LOL 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 05:03

What was it like in the 60's and 70's in Vineland N.J.?  George Dayner had built the "Palace of Depression" in Vineland N.J and it attracted witches and Satan worshippers to the town for decades. One sect in particular had revolted against Anton's Church of Satan on the west coast and they settled in Vineland. In 1971 police handcuffed kids in our classrooms who were brainwashed by the sect. A young man age 21 who tutored students in our school was sacrificed in a Satan ritual. Charles Pangburn conducted a 2 year investigation and found evidence of an underground sect. There was the brutal murder of Roger Carletto in 1957 by the hand of Juan Rivera Aponte who performed a Black Magic ritual on the boy. The 3rd generation Watchtower society was channeling demons through a young girl in Mill Woods. She later confessed that she was abused by the cult. Four doctors and one nurse gave the girl's father Rx's and she was drug induced for rituals. Satan cults held gatherings in wooded areas and if you were camping you could hear the sing song chanting which later developed into screams and cries. All through the 80's as well. Vampire cults, Satan cults, corrupted JW's and you name it. That is why I left for the road at age 18.

Satan was in the media during the 70's, but fads had little to do with reason or cause then. The "Satanic Panic" of the 80's brought on the interest of "Heavy Metal" youth, but this was different. We had no such terms and no such realities. Vineland sects were controlled mainly by elderly and wealthy members and Satan cults that met in the woods were just a cheap extension of that. I think the entire place was a bit like the "Dark Shadows" series.LOL 

Wow, wild stuff!!  New England always seemed to be fascinated with witches, Satanists etc.  

In Chicago, we had guys who were with the "Church of the Process,"  whatever that was!  I read their literature once, it didn't make a whole lot of sense....it mixed Christ, Satan, etc. in some kind of weird philosophy.  However, they added to the color of the street scene! 

Did they like prog?  Jeez, who knows?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 10:03
Very cool read, guys.

Didn't you older folks light up cigarette lighters during a slower song at a show? Wink Everyone now uses their cell phone light.

The best thing Ive gotten from this thread is that listening to music with a group of friends was an activity in itself. Nowadays, if you want to listen to music with friends, there needs to be some other activity going on, because someone will yell "I'm bored".
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 10:34
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Very cool read, guys.

Didn't you older folks light up cigarette lighters during a slower song at a show? Wink Everyone now uses their cell phone light.

The best thing Ive gotten from this thread is that listening to music with a group of friends was an activity in itself. Nowadays, if you want to listen to music with friends, there needs to be some other activity going on, because someone will yell "I'm bored".
In the old days "other activity" was usually involving lighters and rizla. Nobody was bored and all were listening to the music very carefully Approve
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 10:54
Perhaps I was luckier than most.  I grew up a short bus ride from Harvard Square.  We had The Harvard Coop,  Discount Records, Minuteman Records, and a slew of used record stores.  It was pretty much a given that if it was in print, you could get it in Harvard Square.

Prog was everywhere.  Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, Focus were all over AM radio.  When FM became popular, there were commercial free-form stations where anything could be heard. 

Concerts were usually $3 to $5.  The air was thick with pot smoke.  Joints were freely passed everywhere.

<ominous music> Then came disco and punk.  And record label executive discovered that this music could be made cheaply and easily, and sold to an unwary public....</ominous music>
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:01
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Very cool read, guys.

In the old days "other activity" was usually involving lighters and rizla. Nobody was bored and all were listening to the music very carefully Approve

Oh, don't get me wrong, that other activity will be going on too. But even THAT's not enough (unless it's something even more... er.... 'potent'.) Someone needs to be on their cellphone bothering others to look at their new app or something. Or play videos on Youtube that others don't really care to see.

I wish I could have been in my late teens/early 20s before smart phones came out.
fandrews View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:05
I am a new member. I have been accessing this site for years. This discussion finally did it for me I just had to post. I am 53 and I do remember buying LPs for the artwork. We did not have a lot of ways to help us decide what to buy. In the 70s I lived in Ansbach, Germany (72-76). My father was stationed at 1st Armored Division, in Ansbach. Okay so I was a "Army brat." We had radio but the Armed forces radio played mostly top forty stuff and the German radio wasn't much better. I think one of the ways to find new music was by reading "rolling Stone". The best was to go to parties and listen. We would sit and pass the pipe for hours listening to music. I went to many concerts back then. Before we moved to Germany, we lived in Ft. leavenworth, Kansas for a year and I had a portable record player and listened to mostly the Beatles and the rolling stnes. Then we moved to Germany. My first concerts were Joe Cocker and Paul McCartney. My first rock fest was at the Radstadiom in Frankfurt. 2 days of fantastic music --Spencer Davis group, Rod Stewart (Faces), Nazereth, Rory Gallager, Tempest, Chuck Berry. I went to Deep Purple and Uriah Heep concerts regularly. in 73 I saw Led Zeppelin and went backstage after the concert and got Robert Plant and Jimi page's autograph. In 75, I saw Genesis in Nurnburg for 12 marks. They were doing the Lamb Lies Down of Broadway -they handed out "L" at the door on the way in. in 75 I also went to "A Golden Summernight Concert."  there I saw Climax Blues Band, Ike and Tina, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Wishbone Ash, and Soft Machine. Also possibly, Nektar, Ozark mountain Dare devils, and Renaissance. But I don't remember if the last bunch was there. What was advertised and who actually showed up for a concert back then were two different things. Also I was in pretty bad shape for some of the concerts. Back then they didn't separate the Prog bands for the rock bands. In Germany in the early 70's was what I think it was like for the 60s in the USA. You could get access to new music in local music store (one store only in Ansbach, but it was expensive.
The very first day of school (american high school in Germany) we skipped class, went downtown to the local record store and one of the guys ripped off a bunch of cassettes. I remember on was "look at yourself" and "fireball."We got a weeks suspension for that!! The next time I went to that record store all the cassettes were locked up. I have a million stories of those times --I should write a book!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:06
Originally posted by fandrews fandrews wrote:

I am a new member. I have been accessing this site for years. This discussion finally did it for me I just had to post. I am 53 and I do remember buying LPs for the artwork. We did not have a lot of ways to help us decide what to buy. In the 70s I lived in Ansbach, Germany (72-76). My father was stationed at 1st Armored Division, in Ansbach. Okay so I was a "Army brat." We had radio but the Armed forces radio played mostly top forty stuff and the German radio wasn't much better. I think one of the ways to find new music was by reading "rolling Stone". The best was to go to parties and listen. We would sit and pass the pipe for hours listening to music. I went to many concerts back then. Before we moved to Germany, we lived in Ft. leavenworth, Kansas for a year and I had a portable record player and listened to mostly the Beatles and the rolling stnes. Then we moved to Germany. My first concerts were Joe Cocker and Paul McCartney. My first rock fest was at the Radstadiom in Frankfurt. 2 days of fantastic music --Spencer Davis group, Rod Stewart (Faces), Nazereth, Rory Gallager, Tempest, Chuck Berry. I went to Deep Purple and Uriah Heep concerts regularly. in 73 I saw Led Zeppelin and went backstage after the concert and got Robert Plant and Jimi page's autograph. In 75, I saw Genesis in Nurnburg for 12 marks. They were doing the Lamb Lies Down of Broadway -they handed out "L" at the door on the way in. in 75 I also went to "A Golden Summernight Concert."  there I saw Climax Blues Band, Ike and Tina, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Wishbone Ash, and Soft Machine. Also possibly, Nektar, Ozark mountain Dare devils, and Renaissance. But I don't remember if the last bunch was there. What was advertised and who actually showed up for a concert back then were two different things. Also I was in pretty bad shape for some of the concerts. Back then they didn't separate the Prog bands for the rock bands. In Germany in the early 70's was what I think it was like for the 60s in the USA. You could get access to new music in local music store (one store only in Ansbach, but it was expensive.
The very first day of school (american high school in Germany) we skipped class, went downtown to the local record store and one of the guys ripped off a bunch of cassettes. I remember on was "look at yourself" and "fireball."We got a weeks suspension for that!! The next time I went to that record store all the cassettes were locked up. I have a million stories of those times --I should write a book!

Very cool. And welcome!!!Approve
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:20
Originally posted by fandrews fandrews wrote:

Wonderful post
wandererfromtx View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:22
Quote or how about house parties, cool ones with tons of mellow people and good drugs, and after you left one you'd go to (crash) another

House parties were great, we had full size kegs, and everyone shared alcohol and drugs. I remember watching shows on TV like CHiPs, with the sound turn off and something like ELP or Zep jamming on the stereo, while we made up voice overs.

Lots of people wandering in and out of the party
Cloud Hidden Whereabouts Unknown
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:26

In the early 70's kids in my neighbourhood would save money to buy an album. For example Thick as a Brick. Which ever one of us bought the album first ...would be the person to call and round up everyone for the weekend. We would go into the backyard, set up the stereo, have a party and listen to the album over and over. Kids would take turns passing around the album cover reading the credits, the lyrics, etc. That's basically how I remember kids getting into music then.

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 12:09
Sometime in 76' (I think?), I saw YES with Patrick Moraz at the J.F.K. Stadium. Mostly material that night from Relayer and Topographic. They were very good and extremely tighter as a unit from what you hear on Yesssongs where maybe Alan White produces some bloopers and the band is un-sure of themselves. At age 17 I was listening to Topographic and Relayer everyday and enjoying it , but in my sub-con I still longed for the return of The Yes Album, Fragile, and C.T.T.E. However as sour of a Yes fan I was at times......they were very solid and very very tight as a unit. When they played "Soundchaser" it was utterly mind blowing! They were different this time round because they were more schizoid nature with material on Relayer and softness of Topographic. During "Ritual" I noticed a row of seats were on fire. The wind was blowing and the fire spread rapidly covering half of the stadium. But YES played on and the kids tripping on acid screaming .....jumping up and down. The Fire department took about 5 minutes to arrive and controlled the situation well.
In late 70's I saw a band called Sea Level open for Jefferson Starship. It was a seated concert at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Sea Level played this kind of soft melodic jazz/fusion that built up to higher volumes with intense playing.
Spooky Tooth I saw open for Frampton's Camel and Mahavishnu Orchestra. Spooky Tooth entered the stage playing new material from "The Mirror" and music from previous albums. They were dark and not a typical 70's rock band.
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 13:52
Reading through this thread reminded me how important it is for me to support my local record stores! They're a rarity nowadays.

I was just wondering, were there used record stores back in the 70's? So if you couldn't get a record used you could still find it used at one of those stores? 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 14:57
Of course in the 70s there were used records stores, but currently I'm not aware of any. I live in Rome (Italy). No used records stores in a city of 5 millions people.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 15:04
Harvard Square had at least five used record stores in the seventies, probably more.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
fandrews View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 15:18
I think it was '73 and we took a vacation with another family that lived close by. We went to Remini, italy for a week. One of the great memories of the trip include going to a very crowded open air market downtown. I remember it being so crowded I turned around and a one of those funny looking very tiny cars ran right over my foot. The car was so small it just pinched me. We looked around and right away people kept trying to sell us gold for some reason --they could tell easily that we were american. I remember looking at hundreds of bootleg cassette tapes and seeing Dark Side of the Moon. I had not heard it yet and was blown away. I had a cheap cassette recorder with me at the time and even on that crappy machine I was hooked on the floyd after that. We bought other tapes but I don't remember any of them except for of course the Pink Floyd tape. I have been recently thinking about that time because i recently got in touch with one of the guys that went with us on the trip through facebook. Hard to believe emailing someone I went to school with from Ansbach Germany 38 years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>