Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes-The Gates of Delirium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 01:51
Yes Symphonic is my favourite music DVD by some considerable margin. I had it on standard DVD for many years and immediately pre ordered it on Blu Ray when it became available in HD. Absolutely wonderfull versions of Gates, Close To The Edge and Ritual.

dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 07:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yes Symphonic is my favourite music DVD by some considerable margin. I had it on standard DVD for many years and immediately pre ordered it on Blu Ray when it became available in HD. Absolutely wonderfull versions of Gates, Close To The Edge and Ritual.

Yes, the High Definition audio was needed in this case.  JA played a lot of chimes on the songs and standard DVD wasn't enough to stop the chimes from sounding overly metallic& digitally sampled it really affected the sound.  With the HD audio that problem is gone. Smile

Also concerts like "Yes Symphonic" are the reason why YES should not just retire and grow old gracefully like MANY
people have suggested here.  When YES were in their prime the technology just did not exist to properly archive or showcase this fine band. I LOVE my Yessongs, but the audio is garbage.  Yeah it took a few decades, and YES are older, but discs like Yes Symphonic and the recent Live From Lyon realy show the band in all their audio glory.
Other people can argue about wrinkles or weight issues. I could care less. For me its about that glorious music.

My dream would be for YES to do concerts like SteelyDan did of different albums each night and have all that filmed and recorded in HiDef, so when they are gone the music will live on in all its glory

Big smile 

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 03:11
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Yes, the High Definition audio was needed in this case.  JA played a lot of chimes on the songs and standard DVD wasn't enough to stop the chimes from sounding overly metallic& digitally sampled it really affected the sound.  With the HD audio that problem is gone. Smile

Also concerts like "Yes Symphonic" are the reason why YES should not just retire and grow old gracefully like MANY
people have suggested here.  When YES were in their prime the technology just did not exist to properly archive or showcase this fine band. I LOVE my Yessongs, but the audio is garbage.  Yeah it took a few decades, and YES are older, but discs like Yes Symphonic and the recent Live From Lyon realy show the band in all their audio glory.
Other people can argue about wrinkles or weight issues. I could care less. For me its about that glorious music.

My dream would be for YES to do concerts like SteelyDan did of different albums each night and have all that filmed and recorded in HiDef, so when they are gone the music will live on in all its glory

Big smile 

Must admit I havn't taken the plunge with Live In Lyon as yet

I take your point about audio but Yes Symphonic stands up as performance as well. The whole band are playing really well and the orchestra adds another layer to the music and also a visual feast (yep I'm a sucker for a pretty girl!). Really lovely stuff all round.
Yes just playing on their own and wrinkles and all. Less sure about thatWink
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 09:25

Must admit I havn't taken the plunge with Live In Lyon as yet

Do I miss JA?  Sure I do.  But BD does a fair jon and the band is MUCH more energetic and front & center,
Steve's guitar has more effects, Chris sings louder... etc...  Lyon is worth it for Machine Messiah & TF, but HOTS
& Starship Trooper were very pleasant surprises as well....  Oh, Astral Traveler is AWESOME, I say. Big smile
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:40
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The album would be perfect without "Soon"

Iván

While I like that piece a lot ... and so many New Age'rs took to it away from that album, it was not my favorite piece in the album. The title piece was ... even though it had a couple of moments that were not necessary, as I thought once or twice that they were extending things a bit more than it needed to ... but it was YES, and no one was going to tell the guitar to shut up and the keyboards not to re-cue and sync everyone else over it many times ... causing a few moments that appeared to be an amazing mish-mash ... that sounded pretty good.

I like this era in YES, and I find it sad that Moraz did not stay longer and help out more, and do even more, because his technical ability with the equipment was definitely not an issue.

My order for YES albums will always be TFTO and then Relayer, then CTTE. I enjoy a lot of Fragile and the Yes Album, but I prefer the total let go and free form-ness of the next 3 albums, which I think they lost after that.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

but I prefer the total let go and free form-ness of the next 3 albums, which I think they lost after that.

You mean when they started playing pop music?  Yeah, I'd say that's a good call.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 14:37
No, I don't think there is; it's an absolute masterpiece. It might just be my favourite Yes song ever. Every time I listen to it, it just amazes me at how the guys could create something of such grandeur and prowess. Every member plays with such amazing musicianship and the composition just flows very consistently. Also, the Soon section is one of the most beautiful pieces of Music I've ever heard. 
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 15:10
The Soon part is a little too long.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 15:50
I've long loved the entire work "Relayer," including the weak bits & warts!  It was an inspired effort, and one of Yes' masterworks. 

However, once I read this interview with Moraz, my opinion of the band changed somewhat, and I never listened to it again in the same light.  

Moraz talks about the composition and tours, and how he ended up getting the financial shaft from the band!   That part ticks me off, I saw the tour twice & I don't like knowing that Moraz got shafted out of my own ticket expenditures!  

Edited by cstack3 - June 03 2012 at 15:51
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 17:35
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

GoD is perfect in every way.
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 19:25
I'm not really Yes fan. There was a time when they were my favorite band, but it's too hippy now for me. I like darker stuff, like Crimson and Genesis (there's something about Genesis that I find very dark), but Relayer remains one of my favorite albums ever, with Gates being one of my favorite epics.

GoD is perfect and dark, and has good lyrics in contrast to most of the other Yes tunes. Every section is just superb. Vocals are great in the beginning and in the end, they open and close the composition, and "The Battle" section is really chaotic and powerful and it can bring me right on the battlefield with that guitar and keyboard sounds. Soon is the best Jon Anderson vocal performance I've heard, with its beautiful lyrics and atmosphere.

In conclusion, I think Gates of Delirium is ultimately better piece than Close to the Edge, even if CttE has better lineup.

dtfan92 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 19:40
Definitely one of their best tracks, along with Close to the Edge and a lot of their other epics. It's definitely up there in my top 5 Yes songs due to how energetic it sounds.

Edited by dtfan92 - June 03 2012 at 19:41
stacyj View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 20:57
actually? Soon,is all i got from Relayer!
im surprised so many liked the album?
stacyj View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 21:00
and me beg to differ!
Close To The Edge?
way more YES!!!
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 21:04

Iván

The album is perfect with Soon.
stacyj View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 21:34
Like i said!
im surprised so many like Relayer?
....as far from Time and A Word till now?
dont ya Love Andersons voice?
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 21:36
Originally posted by MattGuitat MattGuitat wrote:

Iván

The album is perfect with Soon.

Approve Yeah, Steve's slide guitar is gorgeous and Jon's voice shines.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 23:19
Listening to it right now. It's one of their more interesting works.

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
DaveyByTheSea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 04:56
To go slightly off thread for a second....i got into Yes thru Rick Wakeman and a bit after they're pomp around 1979 ish...i asked for a couple of LP's for my birthday that year and got Tormato and Yessongs. Of course I fell in love with both although some might see them as at the opposite ends of their work! So for Xmas the following year I asked for the same and got Yesshows and Relayer. After the big impression that Yessongs had I decided to play the Yesshows LP first...and was blown away by "Gates". When I eventually got round to listening to the studio version I was slightly disappointed at the angular, crystalline feel of the track ( I think in both cases it was the production and the intention that were the differences) To me the live version seems a lot slower and more lush which suits the "Soon" section and the bass and drums were a lot more deep and resonant on the "War" section. I wouldnt change anything on either track though.
Skyline Teacher taught me everything!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 05:03

Iván

I agree with you. Weakest section.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>