FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRichard Sinclair Bass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richard Sinclair Bass
    Posted: August 29 2011 at 16:54
Does anyone know which basses Richard Sinclair, of Caravan, primarily played? I love his bass work and am very interested to know.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 07:37
I believe he played a Fender Jazz or Precision.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 07:54
Looking at various photos on t'Internet, it looks more like a Jazz.
Drudelo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 16:19
Thank you, I am considering buying a bass and was looking at the Squire Vintage Jazz bass.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 15:07
Originally posted by Drudelo Drudelo wrote:

Thank you, I am considering buying a bass and was looking at the Squire Vintage Jazz bass.
That's a nice bass for the money and should get you pretty close to the sound you're after.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2012 at 18:04
Richards's bass is a Fender Jazz neck on a body built by his father, based on a Jazz bass. He's been using the same one, with various mods for most of his career.
Josh18293 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 13:12
Like everyone ever...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 06:25

Man oh man, just listen to Richard's tone on the amazing 'Rotter's Club' album (Hatfield and the North) - superb sound and incredible playing - possibly his finest hour.  He switched to fretless when he joined Camel (or did he just remove the frets from his beloved yellow Fender Jazz ??)

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 06:29
Is it just me, or does Sinclair have a totally different bass sound on `Grey and Pink' than on `Waterloo Lily'? I mean, they sound nothing like eachother! I'm sure someone can provide a perfectly plausable explanation for it?
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 13:07
Sinclair plays a Jazz I believe sounds great. From the few Squier Vintage Jazz, they play fab and are as good as any other Fender frankly. Then again I'm just not a "gear freak" so people might disagree with me. But in my opinion it's great.
There be dragons
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 13:34
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Is it just me, or does Sinclair have a totally different bass sound on `Grey and Pink' than on `Waterloo Lily'? I mean, they sound nothing like eachother! I'm sure someone can provide a perfectly plausable explanation for it?
Just off the top of my head, the only difference I recall is he sounds more "rubbery" on Waterloo Lily.  I don't know much about bass guitars so I don't know if it's a new wrinkle in his technique, or a different axe (or fretless?), or what.  The two albums do have a different sound overall, like they were recorded in different studios, which is very possible.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 23:06
I was not aware that the author of The Jungle played bass guitar.

Edit:  Epic fail.

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - October 06 2012 at 16:27
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 01:05

Hey, ABB !!  I think that Sinclair gets his 'rubbery' tone by turning the 'middle' part of his EQ-ing up full.  I've found when I drop the bottom and top ends off, and crank up the mids, I get a similar 'woh-woh' tone on my bass (Ricky 4001, which, unfortunately, you never seen....).  I have an Equalizer pedal with 7 separate levels - from the start, if I set the 'sliders' in a pyramid fashion, it sounds similar to Sinclair's tone on Waterloo Lily.  Add distortion and you can get Magma-like bass !!!
boysmithers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 15:23
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Hey, ABB !!  I think that Sinclair gets his 'rubbery' tone by turning the 'middle' part of his EQ-ing up full.  I've found when I drop the bottom and top ends off, and crank up the mids, I get a similar 'woh-woh' tone on my bass (Ricky 4001, which, unfortunately, you never seen....).  I have an Equalizer pedal with 7 separate levels - from the start, if I set the 'sliders' in a pyramid fashion, it sounds similar to Sinclair's tone on Waterloo Lily.  Add distortion and you can get Magma-like bass !!!

Also, picking closer to the bridge (rather than closer to the neck) will give you more of a"woh-woh" sound - I love to do this with the mid-boost you talk about!

I'm listening to Waterloo Lily right now, BTW. He really rampages all over this album!

EDIT - just seen this picture on his artist page here! http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2758
Looks like a precision bass pick up at the neck (well, the middle really) and a jazz bass pickup at the bridge.
I'm sure he plays a normal jazz on the German TV clips with Caravan though.

EDIT 2 - I did a search for him on www.talkbass.com (a bass player's forum!) there's a great thread with some great pics here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/whos-daddy-richard-sinclair-thats-who-741368/

Edited by boysmithers - April 11 2013 at 15:42
pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 17:02
He's a very underrated bass player - and singer as well!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 17:33
Hi,

Fender Deluxe P Bass Special 4-String Bass is the equivalent of this and almost the same thing that Mike Howlett plays ... but they both look like a Precision, not the typical Jazz design. The nexk in that special is the Jazz bass neck, by the way.

is the one I'm looking to get, shown below ... and is almost the same thing as the one above. This one is built in America, and the other is built in Mexico. Same Jazz neck ... and great for smaller hands.

Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass

Richard's definitly looks like a Custom made design off the Jazz Bass.

Friend of mine also suggested changing the Precision PickUps to Seymour Duncan for a beef'ier sound, and I honestly do not know a thing about pickups ... I'm just silly enough to think that the pickups don't matter that much anymore as you can do everything else on the rack these days!

Mike Howlett's is definitly the small version, and looks to be almost the same as the Mexican build.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 01:28
Mike Howlett is an awesome bassist - but Sinclair is better !!  He kicks ass on Waterloo Lily and he is just mind-blowing on Hatfield's 'Rotter's Club' album.  He is very under-rated as a bassist - so is Mike H (who just totally blows on GonG's 'Shamal' album - great voice too).
pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 17:14
Richards bass has a Fender Jazz neck with a Jazz style body made by his dad.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 17:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Mike Howlett is an awesome bassist - but Sinclair is better !!  He kicks ass on Waterloo Lily and he is just mind-blowing on Hatfield's 'Rotter's Club' album.  He is very under-rated as a bassist - so is Mike H (who just totally blows on GonG's 'Shamal' album - great voice too).

Caravan of Dreams is the best ... but some of the stuff in there is played by Hugh Hopper, not him.

Some awesome stuff in there ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 00:51
Richard plays some superb fretless on the Gowen/Miller/Sinclair/Tomkins album 'Before A Word Is Said'. 
Not to mention his bass on the Camel albums - the tune 'Echoes' has exquisite lines from Rich.  Not bad for a carpenter LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply