Topic ClosedLook what I found in a used record store

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look what I found in a used record store
    Posted: September 01 2011 at 20:30
I'm on the road again, this time in a little college town called Oneonta in upstate New York.  I found a used record store here called the E-Mart Store, weird name but they have piles of old vinyl scattered around all over the place along with old science fiction paperbacks and even some antique furniture and collectable Star Wars figures, stuff like that.

I thought it might be good to have a thread discussing used record stores people come across and what they found there.

I picked up three albums:

Robin Williamson & His Merry Band - Journey's Edge.  Recorded by Robin Williamson after the breakup of the Incredible String Band.  He had relocated to Los Angeles and some of these songs were written around the time the group disbanded in 1975.  Licorice McKechnie appears on backing vocals, listed in the liner notes as "Likki Lambert" along with her then husband Brian Lambert.  This was the last time McKechnie appeared on any album as far as I know.  She and Lambert divorced a few years later and she was last seen in Arizona in 1989 before disappearing.  Cost $7 USD.

Strawbs - Deadlines.  I wrote a review of this one a few weeks back but this is an original of the Arista U.S. release that looks like it was never even played.  Cost me $5 USD.

2 Originals of Stephen Stills.  A Warner/Atlantic German release (ATL 60 063) that has an Italian customs export sticker on the back.  This appears to be Stills' complete first and second solo releases, the first of which I believe was recorded shortly after CSN&Y's 'Deja Vu' when Still was hanging out in England with Ringo Starr and George Harrison.  Also in nearly perfect condition, cost me $10 USD.

Anyone else picked up anything interesting in a used record store lately, or even been in one they want to write about?

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2011 at 01:12
I like the cover of the Strawbs album.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2011 at 02:05
I still mourn my neighborhood place that closed a few years ago-- Streetlight Records, an old school original that I'd been going to since '71 when it opened; back then I'd mostly get old Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, and Bill Cosby LPs, plus I could special order from them and give them my money instead of some online dealer.  Loved just browsing and chatting with clerks.

zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2011 at 03:27
went fusion crazy in my local used vinyl store, for 5 singapore dollars each!!

Skywalk - The Bohemians
Wolfgang Muthspiel Trio - Timezones
David Sanborn - Voyeur
Don Grusin - Raven
Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
Arsenal - With Our Own Hands
Dan Siegel - Another Time Another Place

AWESOME!!!! just diggin em out checkin out the covers and credits (MUST have synths haha)was fantastic!!
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 05:38
I've got the strawbs and stills vinyls, many years ago, prefer the two first Stills albums
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 16:50

I was in Chicago this week, found a little place at a strip mall in Skokie called Disk Replay.  Looks to be part of a chain, or at least there are three or four of them listed in the phone book.  Mostly movie DVDs and games but also a good stock of used CDs.  Sadly no vinyl, but I found a few interesting pieces anyway:

Seventh Sons - Raga (4am at Frank's)

This was a 1964 recording made, not surprisingly, in some guy named Frank's apartment.  I've been curious about this album and band since seeing them listed here on ProgArchives several years ago so when I saw this in the bin I figured it was worth checking out.  Seventh Sons were an interesting trio of guys who claim to have been the earliest white people to discover raga music and instrumentation, long before the likes of the Beatles, Incredible String Band and everyone else who got on the bandwagon later in the sixties.  Not a particularly interesting album especially since it consists of basically one song, but it does have some historical significance.  I picked up a used copy of the CD reissue for $10 USD.

Snopek - Thinking Out Loud

Sigmund Snopek III (his real name) is a Waukesha (Milwaukee) native son and something of an icon there.  He's probably better known as the keyboard player in Violent Femmes' Horns of Dilemma touring support group (and I think he was an official member of the band for a while before they disbanded as well).  I've been going through his discography doing some reviews lately and since Skokie is only an hour or so south of Waukesha I thought I might find something.  Turns out this is a pretty weak late seventies recording that isn't really prog at all, but again holds some historical interest.  Only cost me $4 USD so my expectations weren't particularly high.  You can read my review here if you're interested.

Woody Guthrie - Buffalo Skinners, the Asch Recordings, Volume 4

Moe Asch of Folkways Records recorded about 120 Guthrie songs towards the end of WW II while Guthrie was in New York for his second extended visit and shortly before he joined the Merchant Marine.  These were the sessions where Guthrie first recorded his timeless classic "This Land is Your Land".  This is the last of four disks released on CD by the Smithsonian in the late nineties.  Cost me $7 USD.

The Smithsonian assumed the entire Folkways catalog from Asch's estate in the late eighties with the promise that they would keep every record in print as long as they 'owned' the collection.  Asch released more than 2,100 albums on the Folkways label and most of them are really obscure stuff including everything from field recordings of folk singers throughout the U.S. and all over the world; to street sounds like cars, church bells and the like; to street music; to children's songs.  If you ever run across a Folkways album you should buy it immediately.  There is a pretty interesting book about the whole Folkways story (including many, many great photos) called Worlds of Sound that I highly recommend.  I bought a used copy at a bookstore in Aberdeen, South Dakota a few years ago and have been hooked on the Folkways story ever since.  Also, if you are interested in exploring some of the vast Folkways recordings you can download some free podcasts here.  There are some early Leadbelly recordings, Pete Seeger, civil rights music, lots of Beat and Greenwich Village folk revival recordings and so on.

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 19:55

Another used record store, this one in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania called Musical Energi.  The place has over 20,000 vinyl records along with 45s, cassettes, CDs, 8-tracks (really!) as well as posters and concert tshirts.  I spent several hours combing through the vinyl stacks which are jammed into a side room on packed shelves about eight feet tall with stacks of records all over the floor as well.  I'll be going back to spend even more time as I found quite a few classic originals from the likes of John Fahey, Tom Paxton, Robbie Basho, Bert Jansch, and many many more.

Today's haul consisted of four vinyl records, three prog folk albums and a conversation piece:

Fairport Convention - 'Farewell, Farewell'.  This was intended to be the final album for the band's classic lineup, although of course they would end of persisting well after it's 1979 release.  This is a live album that includes a few good photos on the inside sleeve although few liner notes beyond the recording credits.  I haven't played it yet but it is in nearly mint condition and set me back only $12 USD so I consider it a good purchase.

the Pentangle - 'Reflection'.  I believe this was the band's fifth studio release and something of a comeback after the disappointing 'Cruel Sister'.  Includes the epic title track that is also featured on the band's 'Captured Live' DVD, one of the few pieces of extended live footage that has survived the band.  A steal at $6 USD.

Incredible String Band - 'No Ruinous Feud'.  I'm probably one of the few prog folk fans who is not completely enamored of this band.  And even if I were this would not be my favorite album (see review).  That said, this is the first time I've seen it on vinyl and the shop surprising had three copies.  The $10 price was a bit steep but since this is about the only studio album of theirs I did not already own I'm glad to have the completer piece.

Kansas - 'Two for the Show Special Limited Edition'.  This is an odd one.  Apparently Kirshner released this as a DJ promo only with the catalog number "AS 555".  The record consists of the original studio versions of "Lonely Wind", "Dust in the Wind", "Song for America" and "The Wall" on side A and the same songs again on side B.  The only difference is that side A is "unbanded" meaning the four tracks play non-stop, while on side B there is a normal album break between each song.  Nothing new here musically but as a Kansas fanboy I just had to have this one.

Albert Camus
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 22:29
[QUOTE=ClemofNazareth]

I was in Chicago this week, found a little place at a strip mall in Skokie called Disk Replay.  Looks to be part of a chain, or at least there are three or four of them listed in the phone book.  Mostly movie DVDs and games but also a good stock of used CDs.  Sadly no vinyl, but I found a few interesting pieces anyway:

[QUOTE]

There's a disc replay that I sometimes go to by my house. I bought a Wish You Were Here and Missa Atropos by Gazpacho there. Good place.
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2011 at 11:50
Well there are plenty of used record stores here in Tacoma and Seattle....for the size of these cities, more than expected. On 6th Ave in Tacoma there are 2 really good ones Hi Voltage Records and House of Records. At the latter one he even has some high end audio equipment and a lot of used audio equipment. This guy also has TONS of vinyl from the 50-60's and a whole section dedicated to Elvis. Hi Voltage, I like his stuff because it is usually very good quality, clean and well maintained...he averages $8-$12...He knows where the value is.
In Seattle there is a great little shop called Jive Time Records in Freemont...Then there are 2 small longtime chains called Silver Platters and Easy Street Records....both heavy to CD's but plenty of vinyl, a lot of new issue vinyl they have, which I like so i don't have to order online.
I too much prefer to spend my cash at these local businesses rather than purchase online.
I have found tons over the past few years....Here are couple of my favs.

Miles Davis Quartet...Heard 'Round the World...$2.00!!

Stevie's classic Songs In the Key of Life

Genesis Live...amazing condition, pristine vinyl condition....I think I paid $6.99
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2011 at 08:31

Another road trip over the weekend, this time to Ithaca, New York where I had a chance to stop in at Angry Mom Records, right across the street from the Ithaca Hemp Company on the downtown Ithaca Commons.  An interesting Saturday night that was highlighted by a fistfight between some white homeless kids in dreadlocks that ended with the arrival of a handful of police cars and ambulances.

The record store is in the basement of the Autumn Leaves used book store, another place I'd like to check out one of these days.  The fare includes a fairly large collection of vinyl 33s, 78s and also CDs along with some posters.  There were three guys working when I went in and they seemed to be spending most of their time snapping photos of albums for eBay ads and boxing up mail orders.  I suspect this is where they make most of their money since the only other visitors at the time besides me were a slightly shell-shocked old hippie and some kid who was dressed up in an 80s throwback outfit like Jon Cryer from Pretty in Pink.

The vinyl covers everything from early rock stuff like Herman's Hermits to jazz to folk to new releases (they had two copies of the Decemberist's 'Long Live the King' for example).  Ithaca is home to around 40,000 college students attending Cornell University, Ithaca College and Empire State College as well as quite a few hippies and street people so there is plenty of opportunity for Angry Mom to collect a wide range of music.  I could have easily spent a few hundred except for the small detail that I didn't have much cash on me Cry

Three more records this time, all vinyl and all in excellent condition.  These guys know what their vinyl is worth so there weren't a lot of bargains but the selection is good so there's that anyway.

The Jerry Hahn Brotherhood - s/t.  I've been going through the Manfred Mann's Earth Band discography doing reviews lately and there are two tracks from this album that band has covered - "Captain Bobby Stout" on their 1972 debut and "Martha's Madman" on the less impressive 1978 release 'Watch', so I thought it would be interesting to hear the entire album that included the originals.  The Brotherhood were a Wichita, Kansas band from the early 70s.  I graduated high school in a Wichita suburb and attended Wichita State University in the early 80s so these guys were before my time but I do remember Bobby Stout, who was a real police chief in Wichita and later director of the Wichita Crime Commission.  He was well-known for his aggressive though not dirty tactics in fighting crime during a particularly ugly period in Wichita that included the likes of the BTK serial killer, the Holiday Inn sniper (I was downtown that day and it was pretty scary) and the Herman Hill riot spawned when police tried to remove some guys handing out beers from the back of their pickups at a free concert in Herman Hill Park (two of my friends were arrested that day including one who was injured after being handcuffed to the ground by a cop while people and cars were fleeing all around him).  The metal band Manilla Road later wrote a song about the riot.  As an aside I attended high school with one of the early members of Manilla Road and part of their band played at our high school graduation party including an extremely long version of "Freebird".

Anyway this album consists mostly of an interesting blend of jazz, folk, blues and a little bluegrass that sounds a lot like a mix of the Grateful Dead and Chicago.  A decent album and I'm a little surprised the band didn't last longer although I believe all the members went on to have long music careers.  Jerry Hahn passed away several years ago but Lane Tietgen and Mike Finnigan are still playing today.

Tom Rapp - 'Sunforest'.  Rapp was the brains behind Pearls Before Swine; in fact, after the first couple of albums he pretty much was Pearls Before Swine so even though this is a solo album it, like most of Pearls later Nashville stuff, bears the name "Pearls Before Swine" on the album spine.  Like 'City of Gold' this one was recorded in Nashville and features a lot of country session musicians who also worked with the likes of Elvis, Neil Young, Graham Nash and many others.  The music is a lot like 'City', laconic, much of it acoustic, folksy but with a country tinge.  I especially liked the closing "Sunshine & Charles" which is sort of a trailer-trash love story.

Woody Guthrie - 'Bound for Glory'.  This one was a bit of a surprise.  This is an original Folkways Records release from 1958 that still has the typewritten liner notes by the late Millard Lampell (Almanac Singers) inside the sleeve.  If you ever run across an original Folkways record you should buy it, so I did.  This one includes the Guthrie classics "This Land is Your Land", "There's a Better World A-Comin" and "The Sinking of the Reuben James".  I'm pretty happy to have this in my collection.

I'm heading to Embassy Vinyl in Scranton, Pennsylvania next.  Stay tuned....

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 21:44

The Vinyl Vault in Oneonta, New York this time.  Oneonta is home to two colleges so as with Ithaca there are plenty of opportunities to pick up good vinyl.  The haul this time wasn't particularly spectacular but considering I don't own any Procol Harum and only a couple Gentle Giant albums I was pretty happy.

Procol Harum - Exotic Birds and Fruit.  I don't know much about this album except that B.J. Cole played pedal steel on a couple tracks.  Cole was a member of the rather non-descript band Cochise but he was much more well-known for playing on Elton John's 'Tumbleweed Connection' and on "Tiny Dancer" from 'Madman Across the Water'., as well as on Moody Blues 'Long Distance Voyager' and on David Gilmour's last album.  $10 USD.  A decent but not exactly spectacular album.

Gentle Giant - Free Hand.  Kind of surprising I don't own this already as it is one of the more well-known Giant albums.  This appears to be an original pressing and a pretty good deal at $4 USD.

Bees Gees - Idea.  As far as I know this was the last album with the 5-man lineup of the band.  This is the U.S. version of the album and features the famously sappy "I Started a Joke" as well as "I Just Gotta Get a Message to You" which is one of my favorite early Bee Gees tunes.

Albert Camus
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 22:21
^ You are getting some amazing deals!! Really dude...amazing.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 05:27
Ancient. Very ancient. In south Jersey we have TUNES cd's who carry albums along with other things that are ridiculous such as Grateful Dead shirts and Beatles mugs. You know the deal? Anyone who is 54 years old must have grown up with the Dead or Springsteen. Punks don't seem to understand that when we were kids...this was the crap we were making fun of not worshipping. So....that is why they have such a huge Springsteen and Dead section? Don't make me sick. isn't that Stills record the one Jimi Hendrix played on? I wonder why the industry hasn't brought attention to that by remastering it on cd and pasting a throw-away sticker on the front that reads Jimi Hendrix ? Nice record stores in Chicago. Must be fun to have those choices
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 07:23
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Procol Harum - Exotic Birds and Fruit.  I don't know much about this album except that B.J. Cole played pedal steel on a couple tracks.  Cole was a member of the rather non-descript band Cochise but he was much more well-known for playing on Elton John's 'Tumbleweed Connection' and on "Tiny Dancer" from 'Madman Across the Water'., as well as on Moody Blues 'Long Distance Voyager' and on David Gilmour's last album.  $10 USD.  A decent but not exactly spectacular album.

I see that one in record stores all the time for about $3. Any good? Tongue
Congrats on getting a Gentle Giant vinyl for $4, though! Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 13:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ You are getting some amazing deals!! Really dude...amazing.

Yeah, some people collect shot glasses or check out local watering holes when they travel.  I prefer to try and find a used record store anywhere I go.  College towns are the best.  Every once and a while you can find good stuff at used movie/game stores and even pawn shops since they don't always know what they have.  Most places that specialize in used records anymore do most of their business through mail order, Amazon Market, eBay, etc. and they usually know what they're doing so it's a little harder to find bargains there.  You can always tell the difference 'cause a used record/mailorder storefront will have some long-haired teenager running around with a list of records he's trying to find in the stacks, and there'll be some guy in the back room with a big sheet of white poster board as a backdrop snapping pictures of album covers for the eBay posting.

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 13:08
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Ancient. Very ancient. In south Jersey we have TUNES cd's who carry albums along with other things that are ridiculous such as Grateful Dead shirts and Beatles mugs. You know the deal? Anyone who is 54 years old must have grown up with the Dead or Springsteen. Punks don't seem to understand that when we were kids...this was the crap we were making fun of not worshipping. So....that is why they have such a huge Springsteen and Dead section? Don't make me sick. isn't that Stills record the one Jimi Hendrix played on? I wonder why the industry hasn't brought attention to that by remastering it on cd and pasting a throw-away sticker on the front that reads Jimi Hendrix ? Nice record stores in Chicago. Must be fun to have those choices

The Stills record is nothing more than his first two solo albums packaged together.  The first one is the one with Hendrix on it.  The package hasn't been reissued on CD as far as I know but his first two records have been out on CD for a while now.  The first one has been re-released a bunch of times...

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 13:11
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I see that one in record stores all the time for about $3. Any good? Tongue
Congrats on getting a Gentle Giant vinyl for $4, though! Clap

Yeah, the Gentle Giant was a good score.  Smile

The Procol Harum record is okay.  I was never a huge fan but the pedal steel is a nice touch.  Cole only plays on a couple songs though.  That one came out toward the end of the period where prog, blues-rock and even folk bands were squeezing a little bit of an Americana country sound in their music, mostly an outgrowth of the Byrds' 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo' days I guess.

Albert Camus
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 13:53
I got my first Freehand in a used record store many many many years ago.  it wasn't free, but I did use my hand.Wink

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 28 2011 at 13:54
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 15:33
Here's a weird little curiosity I picked up at a used record store recently.  Spooky Tooth's "Ceremony", ostensibly a collaboration with avant garde composer Pierre Henry.  It's really kinda dumb, but the cover has a nail going through someone's hand AND someone's skull, which manages to evoke not only the Crucifixion but also the headache you will get when listening to the record:

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2011 at 16:01
I just spent the last of my holiday cash at the local record shop.
-Rush : Permanent Waves (97 remaster)
-Flaming Lips : The Soft Bulletin (haven't heard it yet)

and from the $1 vinyl bin
-Renaissance : Live at Carnegie Hall
-Rick Wakeman : Six Wives of Henry VIII
-something called Golden Avatar. The cover is undeniably Prog looking and there are many instuments including synthesizers, but what little info I've found in PA, tells me it's probably not cool. I'll do a review when I give it a listen.
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>