Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush sign Roadrunner Records Deal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 20:06
Meh, whatever bro, if you don't want to chat then don't. It's just that I wasn't into popular music at that time, so I don't know nearly anything about the musical scene of my late childhood/early teens. Playing and listening to classical music was the very reason I managed to exist those years.

Discovering DT in 2004 at the college of music in which I studied changed that dramatically.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 20:11
Derek Shulman knows how to pick 'em. First Rush album with palm-muting?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 21:42
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Meh, whatever bro, if you don't want to chat then don't. It's just that I wasn't into popular music at that time, so I don't know nearly anything about the musical scene of my late childhood/early teens. Playing and listening to classical music was the very reason I managed to exist those years. Discovering DT in 2004 at the college of music in which I studied changed that dramatically.
I was am and will be into classical music always and forever and yet I know what kind of atrocity Nickelback was (are they still around?). And I can't believe they were signed to the same label that gave me many years ago Arise and Chaos AD by Sepultura.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 21:48

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

yet I know what kind of atrocity Nickelback was (are they still around?).

Yeah, they released an album in 2008, Dark Horse (I remember it being promoted at Blockbuster, which says something, although I'm not sure what) and they're writing a new album as we speak. 

However T, did you hear about them after you moved to the US? I can understand more perhaps someone in Brazil not catching on because maybe nobody cares about them down there. Which I guess makes up for their sh*tty songs from 5+ years ago still being played on the radio here.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 23:03

Meh, whatever bro, if you don't want to chat then don't. It's just that I wasn't into popular music at that time, so I don't know nearly anything about the musical scene of my late childhood/early teens. Playing and listening to classical music was the very reason I managed to exist those years. Discovering DT in 2004 at the college of music in which I studied changed that dramatically.
I was am and will be into classical music always and forever and yet I know what kind of atrocity Nickelback was (are they still around?). And I can't believe they were signed to the same label that gave me many years ago Arise and Chaos AD by Sepultura.

Well,  I was completelly oblivious to the popular music scene. I actually scorned it as something of a lesser form of art, which was quite was quite stupid, even for a kid. Embarrassed

As for RoadRunner, wasn't it one of the very first "true" metal labels to condone "alternative metal"? I mean, they did released Chaos AD and Roots, which were the descending and rock bottom for them, respectively, with some quite big promotion.

And Henry is also right, rock in Brazil is nothing but a form of bourgeois rebellion, so it only rarely reaches on to the mainstream media, even though we have one of the biggest metal scenes in the world.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:02

You've waited, we've teased you and now the big news is finally here! 

The brand new Nickelback album, Here and Now, is heading your way November 21, 2011 also known as "NICKELBLACK MONDAY!"  The first singles, "Bottoms Up" and "When We Stand Together" will ship to rock and pop radio respectively on September 26th, 2011. 

Stay tuned for even more big news and keep an ear open for the new music!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:40
What excellent timing!

And Henry is also right, rock in Brazil is nothing but a form of bourgeois rebellion, so it only rarely reaches on to the mainstream media, even though we have one of the biggest metal scenes in the world.

Yeah, I feel like it's sh*tty in a North American way that wouldn't appeal to foreigners. However, you can still use Google, you should know about what is probably the worst rock band of all time. :P
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:57
Yes I heard Nickelback before comig here though of course the exposure was minimal. But don't you worry we have our own horrendous rock bands in South America. Actually, I'd say that rock in that part of the big American continent is far worse than in the North.

But Nickelback is a force to be reckoned with anyway. Few times in history has suckiness been taken to such a masterful degree.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:59
This is the most I have ever heard of Nickelback in these last few posts........Also I assume it is the most attention they have gotten on PA...shame on usLOL.

I have to agree with Caio, South America is a gargantuan metal market....even though it barely hits the mainstream in most countries. Even in that small pimple of a country in SA (Uruguay) I walk around Montevideo wearing my Rush and DT concert tees and many people give me the thumbs up! Yet you will never hear them playing on radio or even in record stores........And since this is a Rush thread, just check out Rush in Rio DVD especially the Porto Alegre scenes.......amazing crowds and attitude towards the band.

I wish we had that here in NA.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:08

But Nickelback is a force to be reckoned with anyway. Few times in history has suckiness been taken to such a masterful degree.

LOLLOL.........so now I am wondering, what do these guys sound like?? Worse than Torment Max LOL?
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:14

Yes I heard Nickelback before comig here though of course the exposure was minimal. But don't you worry we have our own horrendous rock bands in South America. Actually, I'd say that rock in that part of the big American continent is far worse than in the North.

I would say that there are far worse genres of music in South America and Latin America than rock. Two specially hated genres that get unreal praise and media attention were pagode and melodic (carioca) funk (back in the 90's) and (comercially prepared and pasteurized) sertanejo music (both in the 90's and now). Emo and indie rock had some degree of success, but nothing really lasting.

Really, the 90's were an accursed decade if you weren't in western Europe or in Canada/US. Ouch

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This is the most I have ever heard of Nickelback in these last few posts........Also I assume it is the most attention they have gotten on PA...shame on usLOL.

I have to agree with Caio, South America is a gargantuan metal market....even though it barely hits the mainstream in most countries. Even in that small pimple of a country in SA (Uruguay) I walk around Montevideo wearing my Rush and DT concert tees and many people give me the thumbs up! Yet you will never hear them playing on radio or even in record stores........And since this is a Rush thread, just check out Rush in Rio DVD especially the Porto Alegre scenes.......amazing crowds and attitude towards the band.

I wish we had that here in NA.

What? Rock and metal were born in the US, it's bigger than everywhere, it is cultural! You have that in your blood the same the cariocas have samba in their blood. The thing is, we are more "fanatic", for a lack of a better term, because there are nearly no support outside the metal circles. But still, I hear that things were much more tr00 some 10-20 years ago. Headbanger

Edited by CCVP - September 08 2011 at 12:14
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:42
^ We are on the same page.........I like the word fanatic.........Here in the US not so much enthusiasm as in other countries I have visited, especially in South and Central America.

Crowds here would be more than happy to see Bon Jovi or Nickelback (I assume) perform every year and never complain. But it is a struggle to fill a large venue with say Porcupine Tree, DT or even Rush.......and I say this about Rush because the mainstream does not want to hear the new stuff......they all scream for 2112, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. This was exactly the case with the last Iron Maiden tour, when people realized they were NOT gonna play stuff from Powerslave, PoM or # ot Beast.......some forums I saw people were actually pissed!!

I don't think either one is bad, don't get me wrong......but the younger masses here want screemo, thrash, speed....like blessthefall, Bullet/Valentine, Disturbed, A7X......

Again nothing wrong with that.....I am glad they listen to music....but I believe there is a different thought process in the US, and maybe you can thank the FM rock radio stations for that, they love Bon Jovi, Disturbed and the like.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 13:21
Yeah, music fans generally are only interested in hearing the hits from famous bands. I don't understand it though, surely people have heard Start Me Up and Livin on a Prayer enough times that they don't really need to buy expensive tickets to hear it again...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 17:40
Am I the only person in the world who has never heard a single Nickelback song? Confused
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 18:07
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Am I the only person in the world who has never heard a single Nickelback song? Confused

Consider yourself fortunate.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 18:22

It took all of my strength to not autoplay this.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 18:29
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Consider yourself fortunate.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 18:30
Thanks? Henry, you have filled a gaping void in my existence. They are indeed grievously awful but I did like the line:

She was the first girl I ever kissed, was so nervous I nearly missed
LOL
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 18:43
Real deep stuff, yea.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator