Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Karn Evil 9 - Emerson Lake And Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which Impression is your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [34.78%]
3 [4.35%]
19 [27.54%]
23 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karn Evil 9 - Emerson Lake And Palmer
    Posted: September 06 2011 at 21:46
Third Impression for me because in my opinion its the most well composed out of all the Impressions and the one melody in the middle of the song is so Majestic and Beautiful - it reminds me of Genesis TongueApprove. Also I prefer the lyrics in the Third Impression the most out of all of them.

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - September 08 2011 at 22:10
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 00:28
Easily third - great stuff!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 00:51
Second Impression! I love that ELP symphonic jazz sound. Cool
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 01:39
3rd Impression for reasons stated in the OP.

2nd Impression is a puzzle to me as it seems to be two entirely different peices (part 1 and part 2??)

Karn Evil 9 is really 5 peices to me.
1st Impression has an extended introduction to a future world with no hope until we are taken to the hedonistic escape from it all (The 'Carnival').
On the original release they couldn't sqeeze all of Karn Evil 9 onto side two so 1st Impression Part One was invented and side two began with ''Welcome Back My Friends etc''. It was very artifical but made some sort of sense.Predictably in the late seventies ELP started shows with ''Welcome Back My Friends''.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 03:26
The 3rd Impression, but the 1st comes close.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 03:41
Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

Ditto for me.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehallway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 06:10

Surprised that people like the Star-trek sounding 3rd Impression.

My favourite is the 2nd..... which is insanely virtuosic.

yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 06:21
Third Impression for sure. It's the strongest section of the entire album IMHO.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 07:05
The second for not being like the first or third, which I like as well.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 07:57
I've always loved 1:1 the most but have to say that lately it's the 3rd Impression that's been my favourite.

Over the years 1:1 has to get the vote.
elpprogster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elpprogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 09:58
3rd Impression for me
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 10:02
Second Impression for me as well.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 11:48
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

Ditto for me.

Double Ditto !! The second is by far the best in composition and performance. The steel drum solo, the dynamics, the emotion of the bass and piano part after the steel drums which kinda reminds me of Trilogy and finally the last minute and a bit which when heard on the WBMFTTSTNE album absolutely kicks @ss Headbanger
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 15:49
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Surprised that people like the Star-trek sounding 3rd Impression.

I am a little surprised as well. I thought it was just me that liked it!
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slaughternalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 15:53
First impression, from welcome back my friends
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 03:49
I love all of it but if forced to choose would probably opt for the acoustic 2nd Impression as it gives us a glimpse into Keith's abiding inspirations 'up close and in the raw' i.e. jazz, classical, boogie woogie, latin (many of Emerson's left hand ostinatos have a subtle South American feel) horror movie suspense and slapstick silent movie kitsch. Shorn of the habitual Hammond and Moog, ELP's music displayed a tongue in cheek lightness and shade that their more bombastic creations sometimes could be accused of lacking. (Subtlety was never an abiding concern in their electronic output)

Funny thing is, the 2nd Impression is fuelled almost entirely from melodic themes and fragments from the subsequent 3rd Impression (which makes me think it was composed after the final part of the suite?)

BTW the original intention hatched by Keith and Carl was to create an acoustic adaptation of Ginastera's Tocatta (piano, bass and drums) but this was shelved. I'd love to have heard a work in progress version of that critter (as much as I adore the electronic incarnation)

Edited by ExittheLemming - September 08 2011 at 03:51
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The-time-is-now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 10:55
This is TOO hard ! 

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criticdrummer94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 14:42
Part 1 of the First Impression, always sucks me in everytime

MY IDOLS
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 01:50
This is one of the most surprising polls I've ever seen. I thought 1st Impression Part 2 would walk away with the poll yet has managed one measly vote. Quite ironic that after 1974 this is the only section of KE9 that ELP played liveConfused
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonsterMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 12:49
The two last parts are among the most beautiful masterpieces of Emerson, Lake & Palmer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>