FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Rite Of Spring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Rite Of Spring
    Posted: September 13 2011 at 18:46
I made this thread to ask you if you know this piece, and if you do, what do you think about it?

I've listened to it a week ago for the first time, and it blew me away. They say it's one of the most complex pieces ever composed, but for me it was quite easy to listen even though I get bored listening to most pieces by classical composers like Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven, etc.

Here some information of the piece taken from Wikipedia:

The Rite of Spring, is a ballet with music by Igor Stravinsky; choreography by Vaslav Nijinsky; and concept, set design and costumes by Nicholas Roerich. It was produced by Sergei Diaghilev for his Ballets Russes ballet company and had its premiere in Paris on 29 May 1913.

The music's innovative complex rhythmic structures, timbres, and use of dissonance have made it a seminal 20th century composition.

It has been queoted by prog artists like Frank Zappa or Jaco Pastorius. "Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part II" features motifs inspired directly from The Rite of Spring, particularly, "The Dance of the Young Girls".

YouTube Full Concert conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas:

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

"Keeping Score" videos help you to understand the piece.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 20:34
as far as recordings go, i would recommend any by the late French maestro Pierre Monteux, who, incidentally, was the conductor at the world premiere performance
 Post Reply Post Reply