Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWorld War III: will there ever be one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Will there ever be another world war? (WWIII)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [60.00%]
10 [40.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 06:12
By the way, it's a big lie that nothing is made in the USA anymore.  I went to the refrigerator to confirm that my bottle of sriracha chili sauce was made here.  Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 08:59
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Of course theory means nothing since according to another, a war with the US and China is inevitable but I don't buy that one either.

Since China has such a huge chunk of our debt and our independent manufacturing capabilities have been pretty much compromised and they want us to continue buy all the stuff they make, the dynamic isn't there.  We may spend more on the military than several of our potential rivals, but that's all been run up on credit.

Well yeah, that's why I don't buy it Tongue amongst other reasons as well, but I wont go into it now because I'm kinda tired and also dont feel like poli sci nerding this place up!

But also depends on your semantics and definitions. I've heard the 7 years war described as a "world war" which I could understand, and there was of course the Cold War which some also call one, so maybe we've had 4!
If you believe the "War on Terror" is one as well then we're in our 5th. But that's silly since it's hardly a global effort, nor on a global scale really.
We can't call everything world wars now people LOL

Edited by JJLehto - September 19 2011 at 09:05
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 09:10
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

i hope the world is spared for Timothy Mcveigh and Anders Behring Breivik copycats Cry

Sincerely hope I've misread this, but did you mean to type:

I hope the world is spared from Timothy McVeigh and Anders Behring Breivik copycats? Big smile

Edited by ExittheLemming - September 20 2011 at 04:03
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 11:30
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 11:37
Ever? Yes, definitely. But not very soon. I expect that I'll probably be an old man by the time China or extra-terrestrials decide to take over.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 11:42
UK Business secretary Vince Cable likens economic crisis to war..

BBC article

Edited by Blacksword - September 19 2011 at 11:43
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 12:28
I hope not.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 12:43
Does most of the Muslim world hate Israel?  Are there an exceedingly large number of megalomaniac leaders in this world?  Is oil still the main source of energy on the planet? Are there 100's of millions of religious zealots roaming around, looking to impose their BS on anyone and everyone?

As long as those 4 things remain true, I see it as inevitable.

Edited by johnobvious - September 19 2011 at 12:45
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 04:16
I think a "world war" would likely come years from now from an unexpected place, like Mexico; say the Mexican government seizes all the assets of their drug gangs and becomes one of the wealthiest countries in the Western Hem, eventually massing well-armed troops at the US border waiting to take back the Southwest and most of the Coast.  Now you have a Pan-American conflict, Canada and Britain get involved, the new United Tribes of Mesopotamia join South America, Russia and China send troops to both sides .. IT'LL BE A MESS, PEOPLE

Or maybe not. 

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 04:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I think a "world war" would likely come years from now from an unexpected place, like Mexico; say the Mexican government seizes all the assets of their drug gangs and becomes one of the wealthiest countries in the Western Hem, eventually massing well-armed troops at the US border waiting to take back the Southwest and most of the Coast.  Now you have a Pan-American conflict, Canada and Britain get involved, the new United Tribes of Mesopotamia join South America, Russia and China send troops to both sides .. IT'LL BE A MESS, PEOPLEOr maybe not.    

I can't imagine that happening. Seems even more unlikely than Russia or China launching a surprise attack on the west, and that is also improbable, imo.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 04:50
i think World War III is gonna be fought mostly on the internett, as it is the bloggers, the govourments, file sharing sites, Wikileaks and other hacker leagues, so the war is gonna be fought against govourments and highly skilled hackers (and it is actualy started, it is just not scene by the naked eye) the other side is the economy and where youre interests are, and how you chose your friends (as it always is), 

Edited by aginor - September 20 2011 at 04:50
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 04:56
World War III? Was there ever really a WW II? Some historians see the majority of conflict remaining in the world a direct result of resource allocation at Versailles. Essentially, WW I never ended.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 04:57

i think World War III is gonna be fought mostly on the internett, as it is the bloggers, the govourments, file sharing sites, Wikileaks and other hacker leagues, so the war is gonna be fought against govourments and highly skilled hackers (and it is actualy started, it is just not scene by the naked eye) the other side is the economy and where youre interests are, and how you chose your friends (as it always is), 

So....World War XP or maybe iWar?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 04:58
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

So....World War XP or maybe iWar?
yes, Zyber war
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 07:26
World War 8?  Rushed out before everyone got a chance to really try out World War 7.
World War Lite, tastes great, less killing.
World War Zero, tastes just like the original world war only no casualties.
World War 1999 in which the moon gets blasted out of orbit?
World War, the Next Generation...

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 20 2011 at 07:37

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 11:07
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I think a "world war" would likely come years from now from an unexpected place, like Mexico; say the Mexican government seizes all the assets of their drug gangs and becomes one of the wealthiest countries in the Western Hem, eventually massing well-armed troops at the US border waiting to take back the Southwest and most of the Coast.  Now you have a Pan-American conflict, Canada and Britain get involved, the new United Tribes of Mesopotamia join South America, Russia and China send troops to both sides .. IT'LL BE A MESS, PEOPLE

Or maybe not. 

No. The US "war on drugs" and the idiocy of the Mexican government of not having the balls to just legalize by itself will actually create the opposite: a narco-state, where corruption is at all levels, when the drug cartels have people in every single position in government, and where there's only the illusion of rule of law. While a few people get extremely rich of course. 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 11:43

World War III? Was there ever really a WW II? Some historians see the majority of conflict remaining in the world a direct result of resource allocation at Versailles. Essentially, WW I never ended.

Versailles was just an excuse (As the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was an excuse for WWI), the Central Powers were formed by totally different countries (except Germany) and even the Italians were part of the allies since 1915.

The imperialist Japanese Empire was enemy of Germany in Micronesia.

The reasons for WWII were mainly expansionist and a common racist environment, even if Versailles would had never happened, the anti-Semite feeling of part of Germany and Italy would had caused WWII.

IMO of course

Iván

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 13:45
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Versailles was just an excuse (as the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was an excuse for WWI), the Central Powers were formed by totally different countries (except Germany) and even the Italians were part of the allies since 1915.

The imperialist Japanese Empire was enemy of Germany in Micronesia.

The reasons for WWII were mainly expansionist and a common racist environment, even if Versailles would had never happened, the anti-Semite feeling of part of Germany and Italy would had caused WWII.

IMO of course

Iván

No, Versailles wasn't "just an excuse": for the German right-wing, it was the main motive for revenge against the Allies, especially France which really wanted to keep Germany down after the first World War.
The Versailles treaty made Germany lost all its colonies, the Danzig corridor and other parts of Poland, the region of Schleswig-Holstein (near Denmark)... and pay an enormous retribution to France.
If Germany would have only been asked to retrocede Alsace-Lorraine to France, the German population would have not felt this treaty as a "diktat": it would have been a small defeat, just like another war.

The harsh conditions of the treaty were the very core of the German nationalist diatribes of the 20's to 30's. The success of Hitler was due to his social-economical demagogical propaganda, his anti-communism AND his nationalist propaganda. Let's say his anti-semitism and his racism were the "cream on the cake" for many people, but not the main cause of WWII.

By the way, anti-semitism wasn't very developed in Italy which, in the contrary, had always seen the Jewish community with positive views since the "Black Death": in Venice (Venezia), the leaders of the ghetto managed to keep the plague out of the town and were awarded for their jobs.
Some of the most important leaders of the Fascist Party were jewish, including Mussolini's son-in-law!

A last word about Italy: in the first World War, this country could have fought with the two empires (Germany and Austria-Hungary), since the three nations were originaly in league as the Triplice.
If the Allies hadn't talked about the Terre Irredente, it's not sure Italy would have chosen this side: there was also a rivalry with France about Tunisia, and the situation in Ethiopia/Somalia was tense between UK and Italy.

In the 30's, UK and France had a pro-Italian diplomacy, until they refused to endorse the expansionist appetites of Mussolini (who, then, turned towards Hitler, in a move first motivated by opportunism).
Would the French and English governments allowed Italy to invade Albany and Ethiopia, maybe the Fascists legions would have fought against the Nazis!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 16:43
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Simple question. Just out of curiosity. I really think it's highly unlikely, at least not one centered on US-Europe as in the past two... Opinions?

WWII was definitely more global, with the Pacific being a huge theatre

Actually, ever since I was old enough to realize that the cold war was a non-issue (even if you threw first your nuke missile, you automatically lost, since the other side would do it too almost instantly, therefore creating two losers and no winners), I came to realize that the next war would be the muslim world against the occidental-christian world
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 17:07
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Simple question. Just out of curiosity. I really think it's highly unlikely, at least not one centered on US-Europe as in the past two... Opinions?

WWII was definitely more global, with the Pacific being a huge theatre

Actually, ever since I was old enough to realize that the cold war was a non-issue (even if you threw first your nuke missile, you automatically lost, since the other side would do it too almost instantly, therefore creating two losers and no winners), I came to realize that the next war would be the muslim world against the occidental-christian world

Oh, Good Lord, again...
It's not even sure that one side or the other would be united!

In the Muslim world, there are two countries which are not from Arabic culture and could fight each other for the domination of the Middle East: Turkey and Iran.
 - Turkey is often seen by Arabic countries as the Ottoman empire - the former "oppressor" (and the former military alliance with Israël wasn't a good promotion for Turkey as leader of the muslim world).  It would have hard times to lead an united "Muslim world".
 - Iran? Since it's suspected to develop nuclear weapons, the other muslim countries could chose to ally with the Occidental-Christian to be protected.
Anyway, the two countries want to the local powers - and this may lead them to create a muslim federation turned against them.
Thinking about it, France is beginning to have a good reputation in Tunisia and Lybia, not to mention the links with Lebanon, Algeria and Morocco. Maybe not all christian nations would be at bad terms with the muslim world...

And for this "Occidental-Christian" world... I'm not even sure the European Union would stand united before the next decade!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>