Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:40
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

I always thought he was a fag. He thinks he was such an integral part of DT, but I'm pretty sure he was little more than a drummer with a huge ego. I mean does he even know anything about music theory and composition? doubtful

Wow, what an unintelligent post.

Don't forget he went to Berklee..... Ermm
I read somewhere that he didn't actually write any of the music in DT
Seems legit
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:42
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

I always thought he was a fag. He thinks he was such an integral part of DT, but I'm pretty sure he was little more than a drummer with a huge ego. I mean does he even know anything about music theory and composition? doubtful

Wow, what an unintelligent post.

Don't forget he went to Berklee..... Ermm
I read somewhere that he didn't actually write any of the music in DT

He wrote quite a bit.

Somewhere seems like a great source.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:47

inb4 b&.
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:57
His songwriting credit was based off his arrangements and construction of the songs I think. Like choosing when to reprise a theme and junk. I don't think he composed any tunes or anything
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:57

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Describing mundane actions like those taken on a messageboard as "fascist" is just fatuous. And infantile.
Because I was clearly 100% serious in that post...

if you own a sodastream i hate you
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 18:00

His songwriting credit was based off his arrangements and construction of the songs I think. Like choosing when to reprise a theme and junk. I don't think he composed any tunes or anything

I'm not going to feed a troll, sorry.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 18:01

then don't answer to nay of his posts. Wink
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 18:07
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

then don't answer to nay of his posts. Wink

I gave him a snack, I guess Tongue
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 23:26
MIke Portnoy knows a lot of music theory and music composition. If you go to a music college FOR WHATEVER INSTRUMENT YOU PLAY you have to know theory. You have to know chords and scales and how they work, even if you're a drummer.

Yes, he may not have actually come up with the actual notes, chords, riffs, etc... But he was integral in the arrangement department; that can be felt a lot on ADTOE. And since he knows theory, he may have even altered some parts, like "John, play that chord sequence, and then go to the minor instead of the major, it sounds more badass that way" For example. His drum rhythms (at least in older albums) also affected how a part would sound.

Point is, losing him was more than losing a drummer (which is a big deal anyway, as it affects the overall feel of the songs), but he was also a key member in terms of the songwriting. As far as the direction DT went on the last 2 albums, that's a whole 'nother story.
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 23:42
What a ding-dong. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 08:06
Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

I'm sorry, but you seem to have a gigantic MP bias. He's been a real a****le throughout this whole situation and deserves the flak. He's constantly playing the victim when he brings things upon himself. And about the band saying bad things about him, wow you're really trying hard to even the playing field with this one. MP himself admits that he wants to be the center of attention often. LaBrie said it as well, and it does detract from the bigger picture. Is it the bands fault that he's like this? No. Is it MPs fault he's in this situation? Yes.

Now about me loving Portnoy, I still do love his drumming and he is still amongst my favourite drummers, but I actually preferred Mangini on this album. And yeah I'll admit, he sounded like Portnoy on the album a bit, but I found Mangini showed more skill in the harder spots. Besides, John wrote all the drum parts ahead of time, so you'd think John would be used to playing with MP for 25 years and sort of gets his drumming style in his head. 

Dude, I've been ragging on Portnoy for his stage antics and tough guy vocals for years. You guys however are taking it to a whole new level by attacking his character. Look how eagerly everyone was to jump to conclusions in this thread as it was. I'm sure any attorney for someone as high profile as MP would have filed a claim like this regardless of whether MP meant to go through with it or not. No different than Petrucci's lawyer stepping in to contact MP. All I'm trying to say is, no one is exactly smelling like roses at this point, nor does anyone but the band have all the facts and even for them I'm sure it's distorted. But I guess you can't stop people from being keyboard warriors...

Any good drummer will tell you it's all about groove. You on the other hand like to talk about speed this and that. Also people like to bring up the linear fills starting on the octobans down that Mike constantly used, but they made Mangini do plenty of that as well. When it comes down to it I remember the solid grooves on tracks like Blind Faith, but can't remember jack squat of what MM played on ADToE after six or so solid listens. 
Why wouldn't we jump to conclusions? There was a court paper about it! And as I said, he brings things on himself.

And alright I understand. Your opinion is fact. I know.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 10:34
Portnoy wanted a break, the band didn't.  He decided to leave, they were shocked and probably a little hurt.  I think it's easy to see that both he and the band had a bit of hurt because of each other.  With a band like DT, lawyers would absolutely have to get involved in any member leaving at this point, as it is a business enterprise.  Mike does seem to whine a bit more in public than he should, but of course that is just the opinion of those of us who know absolutely nothing about what went on behind the scenes.  I am not at all surprised that people here would jump to conclusions and pile on Portnoy......that is pretty much how it goes around here, lots of insignificant people thinking their opinions somehow matter because they can type them on an obscure forum (which this is...........and I include myself in the above description, obviously).

Personally, I say cut the guy some slack.  He's more successful than probably anyone on this board will ever have the talent or work ethic to be (I know, judgmental.......but honestly, are there any people posting here that can match his popularity, body of work, success in life, etc?).  The simple fact is none of us knows the whole story, and making assumptions........well, I think we all know what that gets us Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 10:43
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Portnoy wanted a break, the band didn't.  He decided to leave, they were shocked and probably a little hurt.  I think it's easy to see that both he and the band had a bit of hurt because of each other.  With a band like DT, lawyers would absolutely have to get involved in any member leaving at this point, as it is a business enterprise.  Mike does seem to whine a bit more in public than he should, but of course that is just the opinion of those of us who know absolutely nothing about what went on behind the scenes.  I am not at all surprised that people here would jump to conclusions and pile on Portnoy......that is pretty much how it goes around here, lots of insignificant people thinking their opinions somehow matter because they can type them on an obscure forum (which this is...........and I include myself in the above description, obviously).

Personally, I say cut the guy some slack.  He's more successful than probably anyone on this board will ever have the talent or work ethic to be (I know, judgmental.......but honestly, are there any people posting here that can match his popularity, body of work, success in life, etc?).  The simple fact is none of us knows the whole story, and making assumptions........well, I think we all know what that gets us Wink
All of the absolute worst things in the world could happen to MP, and I STILL don't think he should whine as much as he does to the public.  He's still a crybaby. And no, I don't think my opinion matters, but I have freedom to express it, so I do. It does not make one insignificant.

And I don't really see how successful he is factors into anything. He's still an ass. Just because he's a success doesn't magically erase anything about him. But it's true, we don't know the whole story. But we don't need to to know he's hungry for attention and sympathy, while he's already taken a couple veiled shots at the band and tried to make up BS excuses for them, whilst later being a complete hypocrite.

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - September 21 2011 at 10:46
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 11:09

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

All of the absolute worst things in the world could happen to MP, and I STILL don't think he should whine as much as he does to the public.  He's still a crybaby. And no, I don't think my opinion matters, but I have freedom to express it, so I do. It does not make one insignificant.

And I don't really see how successful he is factors into anything. He's still an ass. Just because he's a success doesn't magically erase anything about him. But it's true, we don't know the whole story. But we don't need to to know he's hungry for attention and sympathy, while he's already taken a couple veiled shots at the band and tried to make up BS excuses for them, whilst later being a complete hypocrite.

Fair enough, we are entitled to our opinions and we come on here for the sole purpose of airing them.  Portony has probably more ways to get his side of the story across than we do to voice our opinions of the situation.  And I did say I think he whines more in public than he should.  Still, I understand his desire to protect his reputation and his livelihood.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 11:43
Fair enough.
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 13:36
In 20 years Portnoy will be touring the 12 step suite. And the audience will be ecstatic when Petrucci shows up and plays one little solo one night. It'll be a surprise event.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
scepter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 16:36
lol this whoe doument leak was bogus what even more funnyer people defending he went to berklee anyone can get the fat butt into berklee look at rudess juliard 1 out of 10 people get in there.

6 out 10 get into berklee do the math here who is better musican rudess is
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 16:38
Good God, please proofread your posts and use some capital letters for Christ's sake!
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 17:45
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Good God, please proofread your posts and use some capital letters for Christ's sake!

Or even better, just don't even post if that's all you have to contribute...
if you own a sodastream i hate you
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 18:23
Yes. You're doing a disservice to sharks with that kind of post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>