Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA question for Hawkwind experts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question for Hawkwind experts
    Posted: September 21 2011 at 19:55
Space Ritual by Hawkwind is one the the most famous Space Rock albums, especially the most famous live album of the Space Rock genre.
Being a huge Hawkwind fan, knowing all the studio albums prior to Space Ritual, I wonder if (the SUPERB) "Orgone Accumulator" and (the MESMERIZING) "Upside Down" were first played in this Space Ritual concert. They are not featured on any of the studio albums.
What is their origin? and why were they never recorded inside a studio?

I do believe, among other songs, that these are the highlights of Space Ritual (which as a live performance is a highlight in itself in Progressive Rock)

Edited by Verwuestung - September 22 2011 at 11:19
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 09:01
I wished I could help you on this one because at one time I owned over 65 cd's by them. I loved the band in the early 70's and in the digital age started collecting everything by them discovering later that I was growing away from them. Now I just enjoy the days of Calvert, some of the 80's, and the early stuff and that material is played once a year or less.
It's difficult to recall....but it seems as if I owned more than 12 cd's that were released by Dave Anderson from Amon Duul who Dave Brock is not too fond of his activities as the material was written by Brock and the rights or ownership should be Hawkwind. On a few of these cd's were recordings of songs ONLY previously heard live and here they were recorded in a studio. They could have been demos or even out-takes. Not re-recorded versions of older songs like "Silver Machine"  on Choose Your Masques, but apparent that they had been recorded during the early stages of the band's career.  Have you checked out the "Weird Tapes" series? Most of those are live concerts however there may also be some studio takes on early material you refer to.

Unless a Hawkwind fan with a better memory posts here...you will have to research their history. In the 80's I got wind of an electronic version of "Steppenwolf" by Robert Calvert. Eventually I located the cd on Groove Unlimited in the Netherlands. It took years to find it. Adrian Wagner's "Distances Between Us". The greatest version of the song "Steppenwolf". Calvert was one of the great sources for the Hawkwind band. Brock and Calvert were like brothers and once Calvert departed ...I still liked the band and enjoyed Levitation ..but missed the magic of Calvert. 
Verwuestung View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 06:43
Thank you very much for your input
Very appreciative of it
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 07:01
The only thing I know the 10 minute live Orgone Accumulator has never been released on a studio release. i first heard it on Space Ritual and loved it - one of my all time faves from the hawklords. I saw it on a compilation Master of the Universe and thinking it was a studio release (the tracks did not say live anywhere so I purchased it. of course it was just the live SR version and I took the CD back imediately complaining it was not what i expected. Thankfully the shop keeper did swap it for a much more expensive release (The live chronicles) - I was just greatful to get rid of the compilation CD as I had everything on it already.

i have not purchased Space Ritual 2 yet - is it worth getting - i have over 30 other Hawkwind albums so sis not know whether to get that one or not. i even bought Epocheclipse 3 disk set once.

Love Hawkwind.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 09:43
Hi,

Can not really specify on this, but I thought that Hawkwind played a lot more in concert than was on the LP. The LP was about 85/90 minutes or so, and the concert was easily 2 hours! 

Edited by moshkito - September 17 2012 at 17:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 09:17
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

The only thing I know the 10 minute live Orgone Accumulator has never been released on a studio release. i first heard it on Space Ritual and loved it - one of my all time faves from the hawklords. I saw it on a compilation Master of the Universe and thinking it was a studio release (the tracks did not say live anywhere so I purchased it. of course it was just the live SR version and I took the CD back imediately complaining it was not what i expected. Thankfully the shop keeper did swap it for a much more expensive release (The live chronicles) - I was just greatful to get rid of the compilation CD as I had everything on it already.

i have not purchased Space Ritual 2 yet - is it worth getting - i have over 30 other Hawkwind albums so sis not know whether to get that one or not. i even bought Epocheclipse 3 disk set once.

Love Hawkwind.

Space Ritual 2 has its good Moments i rather like it but it does have Mr Turner high up in the mix blowing away over everything  !!!
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 09:26
Orgone Accumulator  was performed before the Space Ritual tour so is older than that album and tour   as to a studio version ?

dont think there is one that has been released , Has it ever been recorded in the studio ?  hmmm this i don't know ether
next time i get to talk to Mr Brock ill ask him. 

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 06:14
Just saw this and was very disappointed in the overall approach - anyone like this newer Hawkwind sound?
Chadwick sounds like hes shouting and there is not much happening in the musicianship all round...

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 15:33
Hey Atomic!

I saw Hawkwind in Melbourne a year or so back, and it was a great show! Very thick sound, truly punishing bass! I'd go back in a second.

They did favour material from the recently released (at the time) `Blood Of The Earth' album. But generally that, and especially the recently released `Onward', have been excellent studio albums. OK, so they're still plagued with the obligatory `remake' tracks that the band persist with, but pretty much all good material. Kind of EXACTLY what you expect a Hawkwind album to sound like, but nothing terrible on them. I think the meterial now is more consistent than many of their 80's-2000's albums!
watermouse View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 21:49
ive had a look through my hawk lps and demo cds and can only find live versions of orgone the one on masters of the universe was record live then mixed in the studio.upside down only appears on the space ritual cds and a few comp cds.

as for the last 2 albums i dont rate them compared to when alan davey was with the band.the band has lost something sound wise
 Post Reply Post Reply