Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson - Grace for Drowning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 11:41
Originally posted by riyen73 riyen73 wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I am not a big advocate of Mr.Wilson's work and have cringed on occasion when he is referred to as the saviour/messiah of prog,
Who in the hell said that?  Steven's around my age and makes music that speaks to me.  It's a good album, no more no less.

So many times I have heard that sort of thing, especially at the time when FOABP and Insurgentes were released within, what, a year of each other. And in India, especially, he has a massive following. There's not much awareness of prog overall, so somebody making so many epics is already God.

Massive compared to what? Other prog bands or massive overall? I do not think he has a massive following base - his followers though are very passionate about this stuff :-). Yours truly too!

In absolute terms, no bands other than Iron Maiden, Metallica, Nirvana and GNR have a massive following in India so yeah, I do mean in comparison to other prog bands.  PT is one of the few prog rock bands that people with only a casual interest in ROCK , let alone prog, are aware of.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 17:14
Originally posted by riyen73 riyen73 wrote:

I am not a big advocate of Mr.Wilson's work and have cringed on occasion when he is referred to as the saviour/messiah of prog,
Who in the hell said that?  Steven's around my age and makes music that speaks to me.  It's a good album, no more no less.

So many times I have heard that sort of thing, especially at the time when FOABP and Insurgentes were released within, what, a year of each other. And in India, especially, he has a massive following. There's not much awareness of prog overall, so somebody making so many epics is already God.

Massive compared to what? Other prog bands or massive overall? I do not think he has a massive following base - his followers though are very passionate about this stuff :-). Yours truly too!

But guys, Steven IS the messiah of modern progCool
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 22:18
Finally listened to the whole album and wow, it's quite moving!  I still need to listen to it a few more times to really let it sink in, but so far, overall impressions are great!
Ady Random View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 02:06
to be honest i do like some of his stuff...especially Deadwing.....had a good listen to the new album and didn't really think to much to it....all to slow and dreary for me......sorry to say.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 02:09
and before anyone replys with some sacarstic"well you don't know music then" comment which i've had before on another forum......i worked in a record shop for over 10 years and i DJ often......so to be fair i do know alot about music.......fair play to those that like it....just not doing it for me i guess.....sorry!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 06:35
How about, you've obviously been listening to the wrong music all that time that it has so dulled you that you can't appreciate the best album that ever was or ever will be? Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

riyen73 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 09:56

How about, you've obviously been listening to the wrong music all that time that it has so dulled you that you can't appreciate the best album that ever was or ever will be? Tongue

Or as a DJ/Record Store Manager, you have to play songs which everyone likes and that it has dulled your own judgement of what is good music Tongue
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:38
nahh it was an indiependent record store...so didn't follow the rules of the corperate regime.....what you call "wrong music" is a very biased approach and a tad naughty to judge me like that.......people like what they like and no one is right or wrong.....i was just saying it doesn't do much for me....and hey i maybe out of favour with peoples opinions on this album.....but i have seen other comments on other pages saying" well i dont like this" album/artist so i dont see what the problem is...its just a matter of opinion......horses for courses and all that.....christ if people are going to take my opinion to seriously...they should get out more.Smile

and as a DJ in my field of what i do and where i play.....and i've played a few festy's in my time....i play exactly what i like....only the other week i played"shallow" by porcupine tree in a rock club.....went down well.....and i dont do request.....thats for kidsSmile
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 18:22
Originally posted by Ady Random Ady Random wrote:

what you call "wrong music" is a very biased approach and a tad naughty to judge me like that.......
Man I hate it when people don't get my joke. AngryLOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 00:00
Originally posted by Ady Random Ady Random wrote:

nahh it was an indiependent record store...so didn't follow the rules of the corperate regime.....what you call "wrong music" is a very biased approach and a tad naughty to judge me like that.......people like what they like and no one is right or wrong.....i was just saying it doesn't do much for me....and hey i maybe out of favour with peoples opinions on this album.....but i have seen other comments on other pages saying" well i dont like this" album/artist so i dont see what the problem is...its just a matter of opinion......horses for courses and all that.....christ if people are going to take my opinion to seriously...they should get out more.Smile

and as a DJ in my field of what i do and where i play.....and i've played a few festy's in my time....i play exactly what i like....only the other week i played"shallow" by porcupine tree in a rock club.....went down well.....and i dont do request.....thats for kidsSmile

Shallow? Dead   LOL

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 08:08
Sitting down and listening with the picture book.  Messed me up, Index lyrics are on a page after Track One which was combined with credits for the music for Belle De Jour.  AngryLOL

It's pretty cool though, because if I sit down with the music and flip through the pages of images a few times, the images will come into my mind on future listenings of the music.  I've hear Steven (and others) lament the i-pod and the supposed loss of the album sit down and listening experience.  He's made a good effort with this one.  Or maybe I'm just trying too hard to justify the $100 I spent to get it. Tongue

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 14:33
How has this album reached #25 on the PA Top Prog albums already??
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 14:45

^ That's nothin compared to Phideaux who peaked at position 8 at a given moment.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 14:55
Phideaux must have been better than GfD...
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 16:35
Thing is Phideaux's latest dropped a lot after the hype was gone. I listened to it on bandcamp the day it was released and I was frankly unamused.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 17:42
^ Marco!!!!!!

(sorry my bad) Wink
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 20:41
:|
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 05:11
This thread and the general positive vibe around Grace for Drowning's got me curios, so bought the 6.99 mp3 version yesterday. This may not mean anything to anyone but myself but I actually enjoy it. I don't know if it will have any lasting qualities, but right now its a pleasant surprise. Its certainly better than Opeth's last outing. (funny how recent bands that want to pay tribute to King Crimson and the likes, often end up sounding like each other and Anekdoten).

I gave up on Porcupine Tree years ago. If I payed attention to their lyrics I found them passable at best but very often embarrassing. Musically there was never anything too exiting either, and after hearing those Tool-light riffs on Deadwing I thought I never bother with them again. I was actually very pleased with being a person that more or less dismissed all Steven Wilson's music projects.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 18:25
Anyone know who will be his opening act for the GfD tour?
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 07:20
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Anyone know who will be his opening act for the GfD tour?

There isn't one.
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>