Topic ClosedFred Frith in Los Angeles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fred Frith in Los Angeles
    Posted: May 18 2004 at 02:10

Hey,

I just arrived home from viewing a performance of Fred Frith(former guitarist of Henry Cow) with the California Ear Unit at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.

Great show! Good ensemble work with Fred & the Ear Unit. Incredible improvisational work.

First half: Fred performed unaccompanied, performing in a technique called: "Prepared Guitar." Which is applying or performing with foreign objects on your guitar. Weither brushing then with a paint brush(which he used) or just dropping small beads on the strings(which he also used.)He preformed with many other avant garde techniques & such

Second Half: Performed with the California Ear Unit. Incredible ensemble playing & incredible septet improvising. For good amount of performers, it was ordered chaos, Fred was still keeping count or timing with the ensemble.

After the performance, I met up with Fred, I just shook his hand, complimented his performance asked for an autograph, & he signed it! He signed the back of Henry Cow's Leg End booklet. I post the scan of the signature later.

Great expirence, I really enjoyed myself.

Regards,

Alexander

Edited by Alexander
On A Dilemmia Between What I Need & What I Just Want

Post Reply Post Reply