Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Aristocrats for Eclectic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Aristocrats for Eclectic
    Posted: September 24 2011 at 19:25
Minnemann, Govan (Asia) and Beller (Mike Keneally, Steve Vai, James LaBrie,etc.)... Do I need to say more?

Here are the samples (great song titles!):

Their website: http://the-aristocrats-band.com/
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 20:06
OK, its been a full 2 days since this was posted and it's had just 28 views and no replies in that time. Why is this, I wonder? We have here three very skilled musicians playing a quite varied set of instrumental compositions, in which for the most part you can listen to every instrument absolutely perfectly, just as if it was recorded live. To get an idea of what this album is all about I suggest reading the review of it at guitarnoize.com: http://www.guitarnoize.com/review-the-aristocrats-the-aristocrats/. I've no idea if this is really prog or not - it's pretty eclectic jazz rock fusion for sure, that's about all I can say with my limited knowledge of the technicalities of what constitutes prog at this stripped back level with just three instruments and no vocals. It's a brand new band featuring three of the very best practitioners of their respective crafts in the World, so what I can't understand is why it has received so little attention on here.

Oh well, at least it's got ONE reply now... Embarrassed
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 20:08
When I first saw this, I thought it was a suggestion thread for the Aristocats:

LOL
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 20:12
^ lol   LOL (That's three replies, and two in as many minutes!)

Edited by yam yam - September 26 2011 at 20:13
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 20:33
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

When I first saw this, I thought it was a suggestion thread for the Aristocats:

LOL

I wanted to come in and post the same video. Ouch

Edited by TheGazzardian - September 26 2011 at 20:33
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 21:18

^ Same here. LOL

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 06:57
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

OK, its been a full 2 days since this was posted and it's had just 28 views and no replies in that time. Why is this, I wonder?

It's because the suggester, being a Collaborator, had the possibility to post his suggestion directly to the Eclectic genre team, so there was no further need for us to do our regular "pre-evaluation". Wink
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 07:56
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

OK, its been a full 2 days since this was posted and it's had just 28 views and no replies in that time. Why is this, I wonder?

It's because the suggester, being a Collaborator, had the possibility to post his suggestion directly to the Eclectic genre team, so there was no further need for us to do our regular "pre-evaluation". Wink

I hope this is indeed what happened Alex. It just seems a little strange to my way of thinking that if ProgressiveAttic was going to post directly to the eclectic team, then why did he also post with samples in this forum, and not SAY in that post that the band were already under evaluation to avoid confusing us newbies? I did a check on progfreak before I posted myself and found no reference to The Aristocrats anywhere on the site. I'm not sure whether eclectic still use progfreak, however - apparently symphonic no longer do. The number of post views after 2 whole days was only 28, and replies zero, so I was concerned that people might be passing the post over because the band name was unfamiliar to them. It was about to disappear off page 1 of 'suggest new bands and artists' completely, so I decided to 'refresh' it by adding something myself, and give folks a second chance to check out this band. Guthrie Govan is one hell of a guitar master, and his 2006 solo album "Erotic Cakes" an undoubted classic. Folks have been clamouring for more from him ever since, and now finally he has teamed up with two other great musicians to deliver just that, even though he was only a last- minute stand in for Greg Howe in the first instance. It remains a mystery even now why, although we are up to a more healthy 80+ views of this post, apart from the little humorous interlude last night, no one from the entire progarchives membership has actually replied or actually commented on the music since the OP. Confused

Edited by yam yam - September 27 2011 at 07:56
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 08:27
Guthrie Govan isn't that much of a celebrity here on PA; I know a couple of people who are fans, but not more. That's why a new band of his but without any apparent connection to him can go completely unnoticed even by the Govan fans. Still, when collaborators have a band suggestion to make, they sometimes post in the public forum too because they want the band to get some exposure. (There are people who check out the suggestions looking for new music.)

Anyway, the New Bands Monitors have the job of not letting any band suggestion slip, so if a couple of days has passed and no-one posted in a suggestion thread, it is either because 1) we didn't have the time to check out the suggestion yet, but it's bookmarked; or 2) it has been dealt with already in some way.

Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 08:34
^ Thanks for clearing that up. Beer
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 14:12
+ any input from non-collaborators could also help with the inclusion process...
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 14:34
I try my best.  Smile 
Here's some live recordings of the trio in action at JT Schmid's, Anaheim, CA back in January - playing some songs that aren't on the album.

Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 23:28
Guthrie and Marco.... can't go wrong!
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 20:57
We also added them to Jazz Related Rock at the jazz site if anybody wants to drop off any info etc.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply