Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpacey guitar/synth delay like Maserati

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spacey guitar/synth delay like Maserati
    Posted: September 27 2011 at 02:21
So, my "Guitar-based Space Rock" thread a while back yielded some great results, the best of which was definitely Maserati. What I want to know now is; are there any other bands with a similar sound to Maserati; is their sound unique to them in the modern post-rock scene? My knowledge/interest of post-rock is limited to its earlier bands (Mogwai, GYBE, Sigur Ros, DMST etc), and if I'm honest I have grown bored of the majority of post-rock in general.

I have briefly checked out the bands that keep getting mentioned in regards to Maserati (If These Trees Could Talk, God Is An Astronaut, Russian Circles etc), but I find them all to have too much of a post-rock or post-metal sound for my liking.

What I like about Maserati is that they have much more of a space-rock or kraut-rock feel about them, especially in their use of rhythmic guitar delay. Although lots of post-rock bands utilise delay, it tends to be more in a textural, on-beat way, as opposed to the dotted rhythm/triplet feel of traditional space-rock (Pink Floyd's "One Of These Days", Ozric's "Dissolution" etc).

I also recently checked out Zombi, and I liked the recent material that basically does the same thing with synths.

So, to summarise this rather rambling post: I am only looking for bands that feature dominant use of that triplet/dotted rhythm delayed guitar and/or synth, similar to Maserati, later Zombi, and the spacier aspects of Floyd and Ozrics.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by balbulus - September 27 2011 at 02:25
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 02:35
If you want spacey guitar with lots of delay...check out A.R. & Machines.  Achim Reichel loooooooooved delay.

Everything gets the delay treatment on that, except the percussions.  It's pretty trippy stuff, hehe.
balbulus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 03:31
Thanks, not quite what I was after, but quite interesting in a freaky/trippy kind of way. I'll investigate further.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 08:46
Yeah, you won't find many bands similar to what you're looking for in the Post Rock category. The reason why Maserati are in Post Rock is that before incorporating those strong space rock elements into their music they were playing a quite standard brand of post rock / math rock.

From post rock there are a couple of bands you might find adequate, from the early days (earlier than what you called early in the OP, which represent the maturity of the movement in fact) of the genre, when they were experimental bands with a strong influence from 70s psychedelic avantgarde (especially Can, Neu, Miles Davis). Let me know you think of

.O.rang:

They are more slow and dreamy than Maserati, but they fit the description (and the guitar sounds are amazing). I've recently added them to PA.

Ganger

They will also soon be added to PA.

Edited by harmonium.ro - September 27 2011 at 08:48
balbulus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 12:00
Firstly, can I say thank you for the recommendations Harmonium.ro, your replies are always in-depth and detailed, which is appreciated. Thumbs Up

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Yeah, you won't find many bands similar to what you're looking for in the Post Rock category. The reason why Maserati are in Post Rock is that before incorporating those strong space rock elements into their music they were playing a quite standard brand of post rock / math rock.

That pretty much answers one of my questions. That is what I suspected, but as my knowledge of recent post-rock is limited, I wanted to be sure there wasn't a "scene" of similar-sounding bands. I can stop searching through the post-rock scene for something that isn't there!

The recommendations were interesting. O.Rang was too far into "textural" post-rock for my liking. I liked Ganger more, but from a heavy rhythmic alt-rock perspective.

Reading back my OP, perhaps what I said isn't very clear. I'm NOT after the textural sound, I AM after the triplet/dotted-rhythm delay sound.

For those unfamiliar with the sound:

Maserati -- "Pyramid Of The Sun": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03uNTLlPLM

Pink Floyd -- "One Of These Days": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvndA7tfvz8

Ozric Tentacles -- "Dissolution": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZle69Ed3w

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 20:42
Dammit, I did not know there was a new Maserati out last year.  Try this one, I think you might like it, too:
Levin Torn White

But damn, that Maserati clip, those guys are are blowing me away.  I've got Inventions and Cities.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 27 2011 at 20:46
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

balbulus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 03:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Dammit, I did not know there was a new Maserati out last year... those guys are are blowing me away.

Yes, that last album is definitely set to become one of my longterm favourites.

That Levin Torn White sounds pretty immense from the sample vid on Youtube. Again, not quite what this thread is searching for, but worth a closer listen, methinks. Cheers.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 07:01
Yeah, I kind of figured it wouldn't be exactly what you were after.  I think it's almost criminal the lack of attention Maserati is getting on this site. 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 07:44
Check out Cul de Sac´s Ecim (or MIce - I never figured that one out..)
Like a modern psychedelic post rock version of CAN:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 09:10
^ I've already recommended Cul De Sac in the other thread (mentioned in the OP). Wink

Originally posted by balbulus balbulus wrote:

Firstly, can I say thank you for the recommendations Harmonium.ro, your replies are always in-depth and detailed, which is appreciated. Thumbs Up

I can stop searching through the post-rock scene for something that isn't there!

Reading back my OP, perhaps what I said isn't very clear. I'm NOT after the textural sound, I AM after the triplet/dotted-rhythm delay sound.

I'm glad you found my posts useful, even if my knowledge in the psych/space rock area is limited. Smile For post rock I've posted everything I could think of as potentially interesting for you.

Turns out I thought the delay effect was something different, more like the guitar sound from the .O.rang sample.

What the delay effect actually is:

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 16:50
I could name a lot of bands using delayed/echoed guitars - but not any playing similar to Maserati more specifically..

Concerning their current album 'Pyramid Of The Sun' this does not show much post/math rock elements in my opinion, just to mention the tribal beats here and there, the groovy rhythm branch - a tad heavier ... but stylistically this gets closer to some Hungarian(!) bands like Korai Öröm, Sonar (2008 Celluloid), Colorstar (1998 Heavenicetrip!, 2001 Viva La Musica) which all use delayed guitars/synth more or less intensively.

Edited by Rivertree - September 28 2011 at 17:00

theos138 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 23:18
hey, my band, Theos, use dotted eight note delay alot, maserati is a huge influence

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31055619/Rise%21%20Rise%21%20Fall%21%20Fall%21%20%28sh*t%20Mix%29.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31055619/Eternity%20All%28sh*t%20Mix%29.mp3
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2011 at 12:38
Have you checked out Steve Hillage? Ozric Tentacles adapted a great deal of his guitar style and writing. The ones to check out are....Live Herald, Green, and Fish Rising. Also with the band Gong on Angel's Egg and You.
 Post Reply Post Reply