5 [29.41%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Hunter - Mastodon
    Posted: September 28 2011 at 14:37
Just to garn more attention to this nice new album, not to be anoying or anything but i feel it should not be overlooked since it is a very interresting step to new sounds and possible new consepts in the future for one of the most un-metal metal band.

It is imposible to guess what they do will do next on any album one can hint at it but you miss the target completly. I rearly listen to anything other then theyr 5 albums i have by them , eyes i don't need much variaty or bands to keep me satisfied, and since their album are all so different they give me for now very different listening experiances, if i want a sea travvel i just as well joyn Ahab and his crew, if i will go on a epic  quest i joyn for the hunt after a crystal scull, if i want anger i march with some fire ants, and if i would like to travel Wormholes i Crack some Skyes, they fill me what exact joy and passion i need, actualy,, the furfill my need and i just enjoy the imagination this albums gives me, as a vivvid dreamer and imaginer these albums are really the right  medecine to escape reality,  the mix of heavy metal and hardcore, and sludge and harsh vocals makes this as perfect and realistic as any epic or adventurous journey...

I havent been able to find any other band to give me the same true escapeisme and imagination, since i can't take power metal serious with the operatic voice, I much more enjoy and belieeve in Troy and Brents roars, since they are more human and heart felt, no it issent nice singing, but it is truthfelt pain and anger from what i beleeve the true adventerours felt on their journeyes, I bet Magellan felt it like Ahab, and he did never give commands and whined like a powermetal girl, and so on ,   Mastodon channels the pure and true experiance through their music,, they just don't imagine they livv it, they breath it,

i have more to say but i stop here before it becomes more insane and rambely, im just like a madman gone wild in a blizzard i stop feeling my tongue.....

Edited by aginor - September 28 2011 at 14:38
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 14:46
It might be too soon to pick, but Octopus Has No Friends is so far my favorite track with The Hunter as a close second.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 14:48
I must be honust i feel, as much as i like investigating and find new bands, and spend energy in trying to search for the next big thing, sometimes i just stop that, listen to some familiar music and just enjoy it, i am very patiant and does not actualy need all to much challange in my listening hunt, sometimes i like to find new music, but that takes time, effort and patiant, and sometimes i lack all of that

so i have found out sometimes i just play to death some bands for a week or so (with some other bands to have some variaty) but basicly I am not the one to get bored with songs, to easly, quite oppisite i like listening to something familiar  albums, on repeat, as sort of comfort zone,

im not saying this to retract my wish to expand my musical antenas, but i have limits to my curiosity and i actualy like comfort and stabilaty also, even if i have 50 to 100s of bands i usualy go back and listen to the music i am most comfortable with and those who fill me with joy without to much restraint and trying to learn to like new things,...,

I am actualy anoyingly not easy to get bored with music, it sometimes irritates me but also imnot forcing myself to be more explorative to much ether, it is a limit as to much new music i can learn or to get used to, and i basicly have no genere limits within PA nor MMA, i can learn to listen to all music,   both RIO and Symph, Eclectic and Crossover, Canterburry and RPI, does not matter, whats matter is my energy level and resources, this is proably somethings which im not actualy can call myself a 100% prog fan couse i don't go to the extreme lengths to get all music and their are so much bands that guys here talk abou that i have rearly looked into, (exept some songs on Spotify and Tube) 

Edited by aginor - September 28 2011 at 14:55
madmike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 15:07
I was torn between the title track and Thickening, ultimately going for the latter.
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 15:25
The 

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 15:42
cute bird Approve

i think i ether go for Thickening or Dry Bone Valley (it have a nice post rock intro, remenicent of Talk Talk)
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 16:00
No vote as I've still got to get used to the album, though like it more than Blood Mountain and Leviathan.

Is anybody getting an Opeth, pre-Heratige, vibe from some of the songs on here like I am? 

Edited by sleeper - September 28 2011 at 16:01
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 16:09
I'm with Alan on this one.

Octopus Has No Friends is my favorite track right now, with The Hunter as a close second.

But all the songs are great.

Edited by Horizons - September 28 2011 at 16:10
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 19:46
Which one is the one with Scott Kelly guesting?  When I was listening to the album I didn't pay attention to the track names
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 19:51
I've only given it 2 listens.  I'll let it all sink in before voting, and pay attention to the track names (which are pretty amusing themselves).
A fun place to review and discuss metal: MetalMusicArchives
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 19:52
I remember really liking Spectrelight too.  Maybe I should give it another listen this evening
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 19:58
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I remember really liking Spectrelight too.

Which so happens to be the one with Scott on it. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 20:02
Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I remember really liking Spectrelight too.

Which so happens to be the one with Scott on it. Wink

Funny how that works out LOL

Also, seems that with the release of the album, the "Hunter Visualizer" has been taken off Youtube.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 20:19
Only listened once and I was incredibly disappointed. So it will probably end up being my favorite Mastodon album. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 10:36
Anybody ever try that "Become The Hunter" thing?  I did, but it was as glitchy as hell on my computer, but I'm hardly surprised.

I couldn't unlock the bonus music video either.  Maybe someone will upload it to Youtube.
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 19:35
The more I listen to this album, the tougher this decision becomes!  I guess I'll choose the laid-back "The Hunter".  
Masvidalian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 20:07
I gave the album one listen the day they started streaming it.  I recall a powerful barage of familiar sounds and colors that I instantly recognized as Mastodon, but I felt something was missing ESPECIALLY from tracks like Curl of the Burl.  That said, I'm a Crack the Skye purist so this album was going to have a hard enough time selling me without the bold step away from prog norms and conventions, then again what are words like norms and conventions doing associated with prog in the firstplace?  Song titles and sounds have become a blur to me, but I remember the only instant where I had to stop everything I was doing to check the song title was the beginning of Blasteroids, very ear-catching riff.  Super cool, don't remember it at all-- but I remember the feeling.  Afterwards the album kind of lost me, but I plan on revisiting soon and with Mary Jane at my side
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 02:04
Love it, it's the kind of album that grows on you with every listen. Favourite track, as a few others have mentioned, is Octopus Has No Friends.
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 16:04
Yes its a real grower have listenend to it many times now and i yust like it more and more, but still dont think i grasped it completly.
cyclysm748 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 00:00
I went with Creature Lives. Mastodon's slower numbers are usually my favorites.
I'm sorry but the card says moops.
 Post Reply Post Reply