Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAaen Anima

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aaen Anima
    Posted: October 08 2011 at 13:47
A very interesting band, this one. I'm not really sure what to call them (other than they belong in Tech/Extreme). I guess the best descirption I can give of their music is that they are a Avant-Garde Black/Doom metal band with a very raw sound.

http://www.aaen-anima.ic.cz/ Free album downloads here (legal)

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2011 at 21:34
I ever wondered why these guys don't like drums...
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2011 at 07:39
Unusual band indeed. Never heard of them before. Currently seems to be just a two-piece (guitar, bass and vocal) but 5 other musicians have floated in and out of the line up over the years since its formation in 2002. Quite a substantial amount of material has been recorded too, though most of it is in the form of 4 or 5 track EPs - the website given in Sheavy's o.p. http://www.aaen-anima.ic.cz/ has an excellent and extensive history, but there are good concise summaries on the myspace page given in the o.p., and also on a facebook page they started late last year: http://www.facebook.com/aaenanima
For anyone interested this is a copy & paste of the summary provided on those two sites:

"Czech band AAEN ANIMA has been founded in 2002. From album to album AA tries to create always new musical forms. Its recordings could be inaccurately defined like progressive doom, postfolk/jazz fusion, avantgarde with clarinet, electronica with mandoline, lo-fi raw black thrash death core and mainly instrumental avantgarde/progressive.
There were some not so much conventional instruments in the history of AAEN ANIMA. For example clarinet, alto flute, mandolin, harmonium, contrabass, djembe, triangle and didjeridoo. No live or electronic drums have been used ever".

DISCOGRAPHY
Aaenic Poems (demo), EP, 2002
Aaenic Poems, EP, 2003
Carnival Ceremony In Concert (live), EP, 2003
Aniline Harp, CD, 2003
Madhin / Křídla Propasti Světa, EP, 2003
Another Brick In The Fall, EP, 2004
Nadvzdušná Květina / Ethereal Flower, EP single, 2005
Sebepochodeň / Selftorch, EP, 2006
Aaen Anima 2, CD, 2008 (since 2009 as 2-EP)

COMPILATIONS AND COLLECTIONS
Madhin / enhanced version,CD, 2004
Works I / Works II (including albums from 2003–2004
and live Carnival Ceremony In Concert), 2CD, 2004
Compilation Strike Records 01 (track "Ehtel" from CD Aniline Harp), 2004
Compilation 10th Anniversary of Fest 26 (tracks 1–4 from EP Madhin / Křídla Propasti Světa), 2004
They are working on a new EP at the moment called "ze dne na den Krása".

Just one YouTube clip as far as I can see - live audio of a track called "Ehtel (Wading Through Ehtel River)"

This recording is eight years old live from Prague´s club Mlejn recorded by dictation tape recorder. Aaen - guitar, vocals / Jari - keyboards, backing vocals / Ismia - flute, tambourine, triangle / Walis - bass.

All the bands songs can be individually downloaded (they are grouped together as album collections on the webpage, but download links are for individual songs) from the http://www.aaen-anima.ic.cz/ website (mp3 tab on left hand side).

They certainly need to be found a place in the archive, but don't ask me where...!!

Edited by yam yam - October 09 2011 at 07:39
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2011 at 10:37

I don't see the metal part nor the progressive angle.

This is more like drone, noise and some primitive form of post-punk (listen to that bass at the end of the tube above, sounds like Simon Gallup on an off-day)

No no no

Edited by Bonnek - October 09 2011 at 10:38
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2011 at 10:42
^I agree.
 Post Reply Post Reply