Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The Best Electric Light Orchestra Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HarmonyDissonan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HarmonyDissonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best Electric Light Orchestra Album
    Posted: July 19 2014 at 08:21
I am a fan of their earlier music. I'm pretty familiar with anything prior to and including A New World Record. The first album is very good, not as commercial as the latter stuff. The earlier albums are not as accessible or commercial as the latter stuff, but there is some really good music all around, even on the earlier records. I'd first recommend a good g hits cd. But I'm sure that most of them won't include Roll Over Beethoven from II, which is one of my fav. versions of that ubiquitous song. I'll place them in the order that I would buy them, obviously this is my taste, but I hope it helps you some. I'd get- A) I, B) A New World Record, C) Face The Music, D) Eldorado, and then II & On The Third Day. I hope this helps some. Take care.Approve
Harmony and Dissonance
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2014 at 06:51
this should've been discussed as a poll rather than a discussion, ya know?
Michael678
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Altairius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2014 at 02:22
A New World Record
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:58
Originally posted by GentleGiant

On The Third Day
Eldorado

Yeah ...

2nd album
3rd album
4th album
... I fell out on the album after Eldorado, which is great.
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote ghost_of_morphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 12:00
El Dorado or Out of the Blue are their best.

Their proggiest is probably On The Third Day.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 07:11
Debut/No Answer is pretty much perfect to my ears.

Time & On the Third Day are near perfect too except that they contain one of their worst hits each: Ma-Ma-Ma Belle and Hold on Tight. 

Eldorado is mostly a magical mystery tour but music just don't get much worse than Illusions in G Major. 

If you like these the rest of their uneven albums 1970-1981 (the Xanadu-OST is a possible exception) are all worth having imo. You'll easily find them all on vinyl extremely cheap.
The ice caps are melting
All the world is drowning
The ice caps are melting
The tide is rushing in
All the world is drowning
To wash away the sin

Tiny Tim: The Other Side - God Bless Tiny Tim 1968
irrelevant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 06:41
Originally posted by dr wu23

Originally posted by Tom Ozric

I love ELO II - it has longer cuts over all, a dark, murky production that suits the songs well, and my fave tracks. The debut, On The Third Day and Time are also much loved by me. The others I can live without, though they have some nice things peppered throughout.

Yep...the second one is also my favorite though I like No Answer also.
On The Third Day and Eldorado are also nice but after that imho they went for pop rock.
... And great pop rock at that! 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 00:13
There's much love for Eldorado I see - I like some of the songs, but there's this recurring orchestral theme that pops up throughout, and it's cheesy in my books and turns me off the album. My sister still has her LP of it from decades ago.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 23:00
Originally posted by Tom Ozric

I love ELO II - it has longer cuts over all, a dark, murky production that suits the songs well, and my fave tracks. The debut, On The Third Day and Time are also much loved by me. The others I can live without, though they have some nice things peppered throughout.

Yep...the second one is also my favorite though I like No Answer also.
On The Third Day and Eldorado are also nice but after that imho they went for pop rock.
Et In Arcadia Ego
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote musitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 15:00
I really enjoyed Eldorado back in 74 I think but I was 15. I don't know today.
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 14:39
Originally posted by John McIntyre

I've always preferred the debut album. I heard "10538 Overture" when it was released as a single, and it electrified me. I bought the album and it's always been up there. When Roy Wood left to do the "Eddy & the Falcons" project (which morphed into Wizzard), Jeff Lynne turned ELO into a rock band, then AOR'd it. Oh yeah, there was the odd decent track, but none of them compared with the debut album. I learned later that Wood took "I am the Walrus" by the Beatles as a sort-of starting point for the band, which is bloody obvious! Pity it took me 20 years to work that out!!!

I remember someone telling me this at school when I was about 15.

I have the Early Years double CD compilation which includes From The Sun To The World as well 10538 overture (long and short versions). Oh and also Kuiama which is as much as I really want by them.Strangely I can't find this listed on PA

Most can be found on the album ELO2 (not to be confused with the later incarnation of the band)
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 13:54
you guys prefer A New World Record to start off? What is up with you and "Out of the Blue" because that is one i would start off!
Michael678
Ethos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ethos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 13:20
Eldorado.
"As sure as Eggs is Eggs."
irrelevant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 12:43
I don't mind "Rock n' Roll is King" Embarrassed 
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 12:38
BTW if you can only buy one ELO album it should probably be a compilation, there are many more of those than there are studio releases.

Depending on what you're looking for, one of these should fit the bill:

Ole ELO - the best stuff from their first five albums including one of the only compilations that has the entire 8:02 version of "Roll Over Beethoven" (but only the early vinyl release, later versions have the radio edit).

Strange Magic: The Best of ELO - also has the full Roll Over Beethoven", is on CD, and has some of their later minor hits like "Rock n' Roll is King".  Not a very good song but it's the closest thing to an anthology the band has.

"And all of it was made for you and me, ‘cause it just belongs to you and me - so let's take a ride and see what's mine."

Iggy Pop
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl and Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 08:26
My favorite growing up was Face The Music.  The song "One Summer Dream" in particular really gets me choked up with nostalgia.   Same goes for the "Discovery" album, though that album is nowhere near as consistent.  The single "Last Train to London" is one of the best disco-crossover tunes of the period, imo.

I do love the debut album too, though a couple of Lynne's ballads on that one tend to drag a bit (e.g. Nellie Takes a Bow, Mr Radio).  I've never enjoyed ELO 2 or Eldorado that much, though those are 2 of their most proggy albums.
My other avatar is a Porsche / RARE GOAT bandcamp page

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.
-Kehlog Albran
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 07:47
Originally posted by John McIntyre

I learned later that Wood took "I am the Walrus" by the Beatles as a sort-of starting point for the band, which is bloody obvious! Pity it took me 20 years to work that out!!!

I thought it was Strawberry Fields Forever (particularly the strings) rather than the Walrus.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 04:06
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote charles_ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 03:54
The best Electric Light Orchestra album is their first, No Answer. Roy Wood created a unique atmosphere and composed fine songs. This first staff was fine, and they recorded one of the best art rock albums.
Om mani padme hum
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 02:02
Originally posted by Catcher10

Originally posted by thellama73

Personally, I love Out of the Blue. It's a fantastic set of brilliantly written pop songs. Eldorado is really good too. I don't mind the disco elements at all. I have never really understood all the animosity that disco gets.

I like this reply......Out of the Blue is my favorite for sure with El Dorado next. I mean for Jeff Lynn to incorporate strings into his rock based music was pretty progressive at the time they came out, I still remember all the whoopla over putting cellos and violins on stage........it was cool back then.

I seriously agree, Out Of The Blue had fantastic songs. Not just straight pop, but creative, catchy, wonderful, mystical pop. There's a reason why this was their most popular album. And there's still prog songs (Believe Me Now (LOVE that), Steppin' Out, Standin' In The Rain, Big Wheels, and sorta Summer and Lightning).

Eldorado is right up next, then On The Third Day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>