Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garageband on the Mac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John McIntyre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garageband on the Mac
    Posted: October 10 2011 at 16:35
I've just seen an acquaintance of mine briefly using Garageband on a Mac. I believe that Garageband comes as a free application with a Mac in the same way that Minesweeper comes with a PC. I'm not prepared to cough up the thick end of £1000 ($1500) for a Mac when I already have a PC. So, is there an equivalent to Garageband for a PC that I can go out and buy?
I hope this hasn't already been covered - I did look at previous posts, but you can only go so far back!
I am one of only about 1,800 people in the world with an original M400 Mellotron!
John McIntyre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John McIntyre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 17:42
I know, I'm answering my own question, but a friend of a friend says that a near equivalent is CUBASE (pronounced Q-base or Cube ace) by someone called Steinburg. He says he's going to give me a copy to try.
I am one of only about 1,800 people in the world with an original M400 Mellotron!
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote himtroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 08:45
Yeah to be honest other than it's initial easy learning curve Garage band is really nothing special.  In fact it is quite limiting when using real mics, the graphic equalizer is horrible, and it just has so many limitations when using REAL instruments and no direct input midi.  Cool Edit Pro will give you as much control over your sound files as you could ever imagine, very great 32 band EQ (maybe a bigger one, but I forget).  However I did used to load my already mixed files into garage band and fix the levels/panning throughout, but that can also be done in Cool Edit Pro. 
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote himtroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 08:46
And I am envious of your being 1/1,800 people with an M400.
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 09:22
I think you're looking for a sequencer to start with.
Cool Edit Pro is indeed a great way to start.
It's simple, fast, and quite solid. Its editing interface is also much easier to use than other 'sophisticated' DAWs.

You would also find Magix Music Studio at a fair price and pretty easy to use.

If you plan to go advanced pretty quickly, a good choice is Cubase Essential 4 or 5.
https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else
John McIntyre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John McIntyre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 16:55
Originally posted by mono mono wrote:

I think you're looking for a sequencer to start with. Cool Edit Pro is indeed a great way to start.
It's simple, fast, and quite solid. Its editing interface is also much easier to use than other 'sophisticated' DAWs.
You would also find Magix Music Studio at a fair price and pretty easy to use.
If you plan to go advanced pretty quickly, a good choice is Cubase Essential 4 or 5.
The acquaintance using Garageband (let's call him Taff!) got hold of Cubase 4 AND Cubase 5 and has given me CDs of both. I'll bear Cool Edit Pro in mind. I have heard of it, without knowing what it is. Magix Music Studio is new to me. Taff also mentioned Sony Creative Studios.
By the way, Mono, I just LOVE the Paris Metro! I could stay on it all day!

Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

And I am envious of your being 1/1,800 people with an M400.
Bear in mind that I'm talking about the ORIGINAL 1800 made by Streetly from 1969 - 1987. Mine is serial number 360, dating from 1970. A lot of the 1800 were scrapped by their owners due to their fragility. Rick Wakeman torched 2 of his M400s in his garden at his then home in Switzerland on 5th November 1982. Also, Streetly had to rename their Mellotrons as NOVATRONS, cos of a legal cock-up in the USA.. To complicate matters, someone in Canada (Markus Resch in Calgary???) continued to make Mellotrons to the original spec, AND someone in Sweden did the same thing.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 17:08
Mixcraft by Acoustica does much the same thing in a slightly lesser quality.
tanyaRedii43 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanyaRedii43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 09:29
Originally posted by John McIntyre John McIntyre wrote:

I've just seen an acquaintance of mine briefly using Garageband on a Mac. I believe that Garageband comes as a free application with a Mac in the same way that Minesweeper comes with a PC. I'm not prepared to cough up the thick end of £1000 ($1500) for a Mac when I already have a PC. So, is there an equivalent to Garageband for a PC that I can go out and buy?
I hope this hasn't already been covered - I did look at previous posts, but you can only go so far back!

You don;t have to go and buy a paid version of garageband for windows because there's isn't any. Use vmware to install macos on your windows pc and then install garageband on the virtual machine
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 09:25
Your (most likely cracked) copy of Cubase which your friend has given you piddles all over Garageband from a great height. 

Cubase is massively expensive. Try www.reaper.fm .

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 14:00
I use GarageBand for my own original multitrack recordings, prog and otherwise.
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 09:42
Logic Pro is the musician's choice over Garageband. GB is great for beginners and the like, but it would be like a photographer using iPhoto instead of Lightroom - no contest!
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 03:11
Garageband is basic but ok. Logic is better.

Edited by flyingveepixie - November 26 2018 at 07:27
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 13:05
$ is what keeps me from upgrading to Logic Pro. But....... I'm a long-time musician, and find that GarageBand does everything I need to produce professional recordings, even of prog. music.

Limitations need not get in the way. Even folks like Eno used limitations to their benefit. It's something to only work around, not to be an obstacle.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 28 2018 at 13:07
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 07:31
As I keep saying, Reaper is free. ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply