Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Frippism's Spectacular Middle Eastern Blog Zone
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrippism's Spectacular Middle Eastern Blog Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 20:40
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Eilat itself though is really a dreadful city. Disgusting and dirty.

You forgot the horrible heat... I never understood what's all the fuzz about Eilat... There are better beaches in the Gush Dan region...
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 21:32
Isreal kicks ass !  And they have some amazing musicians too. I love AHVAK and studio wizard Udi Koomran.Just sayin'
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 21:48
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Isreal kicks ass !  And they have some amazing musicians too. I love AHVAK and studio wizard Udi Koomran.Just sayin'

Like!
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 22:50
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Eilat itself though is really a dreadful city. Disgusting and dirty.

You forgot the horrible heat... I never understood what's all the fuzz about Eilat... There are better beaches in the Gush Dan region...

The heat's bearable if you're ALWAYS in the shade, because of the dry desert air, for me at least. In the city itself there's nothing. Really nothing. It's a huge waste dump. But hell if you like scuba diving there's plenty to do. I never really go there for the city itself. 
The beaches in Gush Dan are better, but you don't get to see all the wonderful fishies in the pond in the Mediterranean!
There be dragons
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 22:54

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If it's a blog I have no problem with throwing in a little politics with your discussion on regional music.

First time I read this blog! Nice! (specially the Kruzenshtern & Parohod!)

Based on what Slarti said I'll do something a bit dangerous...lets see what happens... Frank Zappa once said, "Never discuss politics in a disco environment".... what about a prog one?

Two great Israeli Prog bands... one new and one classic!

Eggroll with Foe:

and the excellent Prog ballad The Little Prince by Ktzat Acheret (beautiful lyrics by controversial Israeli poet Yonathan Geffen -also father of Aviv Geffen, also controversial singer-songwriter and one half of Balckfield- any of our Israeli friends willing to translate? I am not a very good translator...):

Speaking of Israeli Prog... a bit of shameless self-promotion: catch the re-run of the 4th Part of my online radio show's "Israeli Prog Documentary Series"! For more info: http://deliciousagony.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=21918#21918

Woah you actually made a whole 4 part radio show on Israeli Prog? I'm surprised there's so much to talk about! 

And yes Ktzat Acheret along with Kaveret and Sheshet are really well-known and celebrated here. So you can't say Israelis don't like prog (as long as you don't explain to them that the music is prog). I've seen Eggroll in concert once, it was pretty cool :). 
There be dragons
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2011 at 10:01
Alright!! It's been a month! But yeah I was away a lot so...

Plus I was delving into many new bands and albums, so this month has really been a big breath of fresh air for me. Plenty of John Zorn and Tzadik related recommendations will come in the future...

But now for Cardiacs-related recommendations!!

I've been constantly motivating myself to buy this album for the last 6 months or so, until the Hemulen's blog finally gave me the final push to actually buy it (By the it's an excellent blog). 

The album is William D. Drake's "The Rising Of Lights". 

The Rising Of The Lights Cover Art

Bill Drake, the beautiful man pictured below

is probably most known for being the Cardiacs' keyboard player through the years 1983 to 1991. He appeared on their first four albums and was a pretty vital, key figure to the Cardiacs' early sound and song-writing. Bill displays some of the most complex, yet heart-wrenching and heart-warming playing I've ever heard. His ability to combine all different these different forms of popular music with complex arrangements make his sound easily recognizable. On his new album, you can hear a lot of proggy elements (Gentle Giants-ish vocals in many spots and complex songs and all that jazz) incorporated with the old psychedelic pop tunes Bill is just so great at churning out.

Bill isn't the only great musician on the album. Bill's band really brings a lot of character to the album. The clarinet is really a power instrument here, bringing some beautiful classical-tinged moments, but the sound in general is from all over the place. Bits of weird synthesizers, jazz, classical, Celtic music, psychedelia, prog, you name it, all packaged by a lovely pop tune. 

The album can be streamed from Bill's bandcamp right here: http://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/album/the-rising-of-the-lights

I'd say the big highlight are "Super Altar", "Ornamental Hermit", and the beautiful "Homesweet Homestead Hideaway". 

Enjoy!!!
There be dragons
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2011 at 07:33
Smile
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2011 at 11:05
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Smile

Shocked
There be dragons
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2011 at 13:01
I've heard a few William Drake songs via other members of this site and he sounds pretty good.
centum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 17:07

frippism, I've d*w*l*d*d almost everything you've mentioned here

thank you, man

keep up the good work

it's a pity I have almost no time to listen to new music (Cardiacs included), I've found more interesting bands in the last month than I had in the last 3 years

btw, do you know anything about what's happening with Secret Chiefs 3 right now?

frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 03:41
Originally posted by centum centum wrote:

frippism, I've d*w*l*d*d almost everything you've mentioned here

thank you, man

keep up the good work

it's a pity I have almost no time to listen to new music (Cardiacs included), I've found more interesting bands in the last month than I had in the last 3 years

btw, do you know anything about what's happening with Secret Chiefs 3 right now?

Thanks! I do have a lot of stuff I'm going to put on here. Just kinda needed a break from the stuff I've been listening to and I'm busy still finding out new stuff. Unfortunately I can't say I know much about what's going on with SC3 album-wise. I do know they're still touring. Never seem to come to Israel again unfortunately  :(.
There be dragons
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 13:14
It's been two months!

Well, new stuff's been listened to, old stuff's been listened to. Plenty of bizarre black metal, for instance. And lots of interesting rap/ hip-hop. All in good time.

Two whole new moons brought with them plenty of material. But I feel like I really need to make note of this duo, as they deserve it. I'm talking of Israeli synth pop duo Bney Hama (בני המה):

This duo, of musicians who already have quite a name here, Ohad Fishof and Ishai Adar, are known here as members of short-lived but quite famous (and actually, also rather excellent) alternative rock band "The Top Hat Carriers" (Nosei Ha-Migba'at  נושאי המגבעת), who dismantled long ago in 1992. Since then, they have been working together doing music, video art, and soundtrack stuff. Ohad Fishof has become this sorta all can do guy- and is notable for doing some interesting stuff with modern dance (which has only become an interest of mine recently).

But to the album: It's amazing. Really. It's one of the more interesting, powerful, accessible yet uncompromising and unforgettable listens I've had. Released in 12.12.11, I would've put it in my top something lists if it didn't take me so long to actually sit down and really listen to it. I actually went to the release party show, which was in the Tmuna theater in Tel Aviv, and it just completely blew my mind. But for some reason it took me a while to sit and truly listen to this. 

The album itself is a mix of synth pop, with elements of Kraftwerk, in my opinion. With that, Bney Hama are not afraid to use noise, weird samples, and difficult, interesting texts. The melodies are so infectious, but they are off-putting, and stirring. 
One of the stronger elements for me, are the lyrics and vocal delivery. Ohad Fishof's vocals are captivating with their charisma and are almost hypnotizing. It's a shame that most people won't understand the Hebrew lyrics, because the texts are all again, captivating. But I think that the Goys (Big smile) will still appreciate Fishof's vocal delivery, and maybe try to sing phonetically in Hebrew. 

Possibly, the best album of 2011. Shame it took me so long to understand it.

Bney Hama Cover Art

not free, but can be streamed in entirety.

<3

לילה טוב

Edit: Check out awesome music video

Edited by frippism - March 22 2012 at 13:28
There be dragons
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 21:44

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If it's a blog I have no problem with throwing in a little politics with your discussion on regional music.

First time I read this blog! Nice!

First:  Hello Mr. Frippism,

I just happened upon this thread, If I may....

I have no idea why anybody would have a problem with the original pretense of this thread.  The gentleman is Israeli and likes weird musicWink.  I see no valid reason why both shouldn't be discussed in this thread. Perhaps a mod can help move it if that is what is making certain people unhappy. I think it was unwaranted for the 2 posters to come in here heavy handed and make demands. I would very much like to see threads from other countries and read about the issues of the day that concern those people.

This is a public forum.

If a person with differing views does not like this thread, perhaps they should stay clear or make their own thread.
People can learn from this thread and people could learn from other threads that are started by persons of other beliefs.

There are threads here on PA that really could get a strong reaction from me and arguments would probably evolve, so I simply stay away.  Nobody forces anybody to participate in any thread. Censoring I would hope is a universal concept that all peoples should want to avoid. Yet we saw it on two occasions here in this thread.

I have learned three things from this thread already.

1. People need to think about peace at least once in a while
2. Israel has some very beautiful places
3. Frippism sure likes some very very strange bands that I have tried but can't get into. Smile (perhaps one day he will try to give Tales From Topographic Oceans another try, maybe during one of his oceanside camp-outs, hint hint.)
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123