DolphinFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
    Posted: July 01 2005 at 15:25
Originally posted by felona felona wrote:

Originally posted by dalt99 dalt99 wrote:

Originally posted by DolphinFan DolphinFan wrote:

Maybe someone could recommend a better starting point for Le Orme?

I have Felona e Sorona. That one is VERY good. Better than the Banco cd I have by far. I think Il Fiume is a modern cd of theirs. Gotta start where they were best! The 70s

well, I would  absolutely agree that Felona e Sorona is a good place to start ..  Contrappunti ... Uomo  di Pezza ... Florian (an acoustic effort & very delicate) are also good ... 

well, I would say that wouldn't I???

I listened to L'Equilibrio found here at Prog Archives and I must say I was mildy impressed.  Much better than what I had heard prior.  Thanks for the tip and I may have to look into acquiring the entire cd.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 14:45
I've only heard one album from each band (Darwin from Banco and Per Un Amico from PFM), and I can safely say that I prefer the PFM one.  I am interested to hear more from both groups though.
DolphinFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 14:34
Originally posted by silvertree silvertree wrote:

Just listen to that historic guitar riff in RIP (as memorable as Smoke on the Water !)

Sorry man.  I enjoy the song, but the guitar riff is not as memorable as Smoke on the Water.  At least not to 99.999% of the known universe.

abyssyinfinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 14:05
Originally posted by silvertree silvertree wrote:

One more word about Banco. I'm afraid I can't compare them with PFM. I love both !

Anyway, Banco must have done one of the most fantastic first album ever !!! It is an absolute "must-have" for all prog addicts we are !

Just listen to that historic guitar riff in RIP (as memorable as Smoke on the Water !) or that incredible piano / synth playing in Metamorfosi. Oh, I think I'm getting overwhelmed just thinking about Il Giardino Del Mago.... It leaves me speechless.

Banco !

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 11:00
Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

Anyway, PFM in 1979 realesed an album live with Fabrizio De André, probably the most influent italian singer-songwriter. I'm suprised that this album is not on Progarchives. It's absolutely great.

I agree perfectly! This superior collaboration spans over two wonderful live albums, in which De André's superb songs become yet more fantastic and intriguing thanks to the prog interpretation!

I would suggest everybody who has a good knowledge of italian language a good listen to De André's production! He was an excellent poet and genius who is sorely missed, and one of the few italian singers that I find worth listening to!

(I also believe De André's Ave Maria from his omomimous album released in 1981 to be a wonderful prog track!)
A flower?

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 10:53

I have Felona e Sorona. That one is VERY good. Better than the Banco cd I have by far. I think Il Fiume is a modern cd of theirs. Gotta start where they were best! The 70s

Il Fiume was released in 1996 and, despite Aldo Tagliapietra's voice becoming quite annoying after a while, I have to say that it made a great impression on me as a comeback album!
The technique displayed by Michele Bon and Francesco Sartori, moreover, is far superior to Toni Pagliuca's one!
After that they released Elementi in 2001 and L'Infinito last year, but I find these two works by far less impressive.

About classic-era-Orme, Felona e Sorona is IMHO the most significative, followed by Storia o Leggenda in which traditional italian songwriting meets lush keyboard tapestries...
Maybe the people who particularly like ELP could enjoy more Contrappunti.
Florian and Piccola Rapsodia dell'Ape, instead, rely more on acoustic and baroque instrumentation, and represent an interesting and daring excursus into a previously unexplored territory.
A flower?

silvertree View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 10:32

One more word about Banco. I'm afraid I can't compare them with PFM. I love both !

Anyway, Banco must have done one of the most fantastic first album ever !!! It is an absolute "must-have" for all prog addicts we are !

Just listen to that historic guitar riff in RIP (as memorable as Smoke on the Water !) or that incredible piano / synth playing in Metamorfosi. Oh, I think I'm getting overwhelmed just thinking about Il Giardino Del Mago.... It leaves me speechless.

Banco !

felona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 18:44

well, I would  absolutely agree that Felona e Sorona is a good place to start ..  Contrappunti ... Uomo  di Pezza ... Florian (an acoustic effort & very delicate) are also good ... 

well, I would say that wouldn't I???

I was never really sure what I was waiting for. When the moment came I was looking away ......
The Church "After Everything Now This"
felona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 18:40

Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

Probably the best start with "Le Orme" is Antologia 1970-1980. It is not just an "Anthology": this album marks the rebirth of this group after the "dark" eighties. I attended at the final show that promoted this album in 1994 and it was definitely great ! It was as if the band had rediscovered thier prog roots... Since then they have performed regurally live the songs contained in this anthology and released other albums in the prog mood. They're not an heritage of the past but they're still great and with new ideas. Although PFM and BMS are still performing live too, but I have to say that they seem to have lost inspiration. Last year I attended a PFM concert and the most recent song dated 1981 ! Anyway, PFM in 1979 realesed an album live with Fabrizio De André, probably the most influent italian singer-songwriter. I'm suprised that this album is not on Progarchives. It's absolutely great.

Hello andrea!  yes, I absolutely  agree that the Le Orme double CD compilation is a very good introduction  and the tracks have also been remastered ... it may lead people to explore further as they had a few different phases in their career ...some more poppy than others ...  I would also  recommend their latest 3 offerings ... Il Fiume ; Elementi (2004) and  L'infinito ...  (2005))

Thanks for letting me know about that live PFM album as I have been wanting to get this but was unsure due to no reviews

I was never really sure what I was waiting for. When the moment came I was looking away ......
felona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 18:32

TP I'm so happy you like Seguendo Le Tracce ... I would also recommend their recent double album NUDO  (studio & live tracks) and also their Live in Mexico 1999 (I think).

But Seguendo definitely shows them   at the height of their powers in the mid seventies ...

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 16:23
^ BTW, I meant CHAMPS, not chaps. Yeah, they're good old chaps allright!
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 16:21

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Listening to that new live album from 1974 as I write this (many thanks to a certain individual), and I am now adament that they are in fact the greatest Italian symphonic band, period. PFM are NOTHING compared to daring composition, expert musicianship and sheer grandeur that is Banco!

Your thoughts?

PFM nothing? Per un amico and L'Isola Di Niente are quite daring. And Banco are perhaps the Italian chaps as it comes to grandeur and musicianship, but PFM has the feeling. They can so more with less notes. But even they are very good musicians, as one can hear on the excellent Per Un Amico. PFM are Italy's best!

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 15:34
Probably the best start with "Le Orme" is Antologia 1970-1980. It is not just an "Anthology": this album marks the rebirth of this group after the "dark" eighties. I attended at the final show that promoted this album in 1994 and it was definitely great ! It was as if the band had rediscovered thier prog roots... Since then they have performed regurally live the songs contained in this anthology and released other albums in the prog mood. They're not an heritage of the past but they're still great and with new ideas. Although PFM and BMS are still performing live too, but I have to say that they seem to have lost inspiration. Last year I attended a PFM concert and the most recent song dated 1981 ! Anyway, PFM in 1979 realesed an album live with Fabrizio De André, probably the most influent italian singer-songwriter. I'm suprised that this album is not on Progarchives. It's absolutely great.
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 14:59
I think PFM and Banco are both wonderful.
dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 14:37

Best of 2006 that I've heard:
PFM-Stati Di Immaginazione
Zenit-Surrender (Best "unknown" album)
Oaksenham - Conquest of Pacific
2007:
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
La Torre Del Alchimista - Neo
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 13:45
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

What album is Traccia II on?

1973 Io sono nato libero
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 13:44
What's that live album called?
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 13:36
What album is Traccia II on?
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 13:33
"Seguendo le Tracce" is pure fantastic genius, some months ago I bought also an ultra rare live cd by BMS: Papagayo Club 1972...
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 11:47

I got to know Banco 5 or 6 years later than PFM, Le Orme and many other great Italian bands. And the result was overwhelming - similar to what I can feel Trousepress is feeling now.  I used to listen to PFM and/or to Le Orme after each time I listened to Banco in order to compare, and my assurance that Banco are better was growing each time.  However I would never dismiss other Italian bands and never describe them as "nothing" compared to Banco. They are still great, but with Banco still keeping position no.1 in my list. And, as I mentionned already somewhere in these forums, I consider Francesco Di Giacomo as the best vocal in prog.

Now I definitely should get their live album mentionned by Trouserpress, which I do not have, as in general I do not like live recordings...

carefulwiththataxe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>