Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
44 [53.66%]
38 [46.34%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:23
Love Kayo (who I voted for) but i'm ok with tool winning because I think they have a better chance of nocking DT out of the running, and the whole compitition will be much more interesting without DT fan boys destroying everything in their path.
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:57
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

Love Kayo (who I voted for) but i'm ok with tool winning because I think they have a better chance of nocking DT out of the running, and the whole compitition will be much more interesting without DT fan boys destroying everything in their path.

I'm insulted Cry
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 16:08
How could anyone vote against DT? They are the gods of prog metal, they change time signature every few bars, and their vocalist is the most accomplished psuedo-classical singer in modern compositional music. Indeed, voting against DT is like voting against god. It's a logical fallacy which will incur the wrath of legions of followers. Except god can't sweep pick arpeggios like Petrucci.
DanthraX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 16:10
lol
I look up, I'm almost blinded

by the warmth of what's inside me

and the taste that's in my soul,

but I'm dead inside as I stand alone...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 16:13
Hammer
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 16:17
Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

I'm insulted Cry
Don't be, I have nothing against DT, or their fans, I'm pretty ambivalent twards them thouth I do ocassionaly like their side projects, its just that if they get through the next round they will go all the way for sure, and ive seen that happen with them too many times on this site, and I'm pretty sure Tool could stop them by grabbing some prog-metal swing votes as well as getting the anti-DT votes and those of fans of more atmospheric sounds.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 16:24
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

How could anyone vote against DT? They are the gods of prog metal, they change time signature every few bars, and their vocalist is the most accomplished psuedo-classical singer in modern compositional music. Indeed, voting against DT is like voting against god. It's a logical fallacy which will incur the wrath of legions of followers. Except god can't sweep pick arpeggios like Petrucci.

Exactly Big smileWink
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 16:25

Or Porcupine Tree fanboys destroying everything in their path, or Tool fanboys destroying everything in their path, or Opeth fanboys destroying everything in their path.

Sorry but seeing as Talk Talk came within 6 votes of beating DT, you've only picked them as a scapegoat, which is so immature. The real problem with this poll is that people vote for the most popular band, because they don't regularly listen to both bands, and therefore vote for the one they actually listen to. This means that the most popular bands stroll through, and is why Porcupine Tree will win the overall trophy, because they are the most accessible prog band to all subgenre fans.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets fed up of pretentious 'purists' using DT to bash everything they hate about modern prog. Mainly that people who aren't 'die hard fans' liking it. Sacrilege!
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 16:25

Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

I'm insulted Cry
Don't be, I have nothing against DT, or their fans, I'm pretty ambivalent twards them thouth I do ocassionaly like their side projects, its just that if they get through the next round they will go all the way for sure, and ive seen that happen with them too many times on this site, and I'm pretty sure Tool could stop them by grabbing some prog-metal swing votes as well as getting the anti-DT votes and those of fans of more atmospheric sounds.

Ah, I was only kidding. Fanboy I may be, I'm not one of the obsessive compulsive infatuated fanboys (anymore, at least)
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 21:47
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Or Porcupine Tree fanboys destroying everything in their path, or Tool fanboys destroying everything in their path, or Opeth fanboys destroying everything in their path.

Sorry but seeing as Talk Talk came within 6 votes of beating DT, you've only picked them as a scapegoat, which is so immature. The real problem with this poll is that people vote for the most popular band, because they don't regularly listen to both bands, and therefore vote for the one they actually listen to. This means that the most popular bands stroll through, and is why Porcupine Tree will win the overall trophy, because they are the most accessible prog band to all subgenre fans.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets fed up of pretentious 'purists' using DT to bash everything they hate about modern prog. Mainly that people who aren't 'die hard fans' liking it. Sacrilege!
Whoa buddy, getting a little fired up there. I'm also going to do everything in my power to not let PT dominate, although I do enjoy a bit of their work... and to label me a modern prog basher? thats down right insulting, look at my reviews or ask me what I listen to I am not walter, I love modern prog just a different strain of it than yourself and I'm actually not too into alot of the "classic" bands.

Last I checked not liking DT was an acceptable opinion. And I'm not even doing anything against DT, as I mentioned I voted Kayo even though I don't think they stand a chance against DT the way Tool do, I was just commenting that I wouldn't mind seeing tool win this and take out DT... the same way you might prefer to see Kayo Dot win and give DT a better chance...
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 02:35

Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Whoa buddy, getting a little fired up there. I'm also going to do everything in my power to not let PT dominate, although I do enjoy a bit of their work... and to label me a modern prog basher? thats down right insulting, look at my reviews or ask me what I listen to I am not walter, I love modern prog just a different strain of it than yourself and I'm actually not too into alot of the "classic" bands.

Last I checked not liking DT was an acceptable opinion. And I'm not even doing anything against DT, as I mentioned I voted Kayo even though I don't think they stand a chance against DT the way Tool do, I was just commenting that I wouldn't mind seeing tool win this and take out DT... the same way you might prefer to see Kayo Dot win and give DT a better chance...

I would prefer Kayo Dot to win because they are the better band, not because it would make it easier for DT to win. I even voted for Talk Talk against Dream Theater in their round because they are the better band.

Of course not liking DT is an acceptable opinion, Re-read my post. I said that you should be voting for the band you like the most, not the one who's going to knock out bands, the fans of which you dislike LOL.

Also your music taste is remarkably similar to mine, so once again, try to do your research before you 'have a go'.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 08:00
Last day to vote.
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 09:42
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: DT fanboys are annoying, but DT haters are far worse.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 10:47
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: DT fanboys are annoying, but DT haters are far worse.

Seconded.
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 13:37

And what about DT overlookers?Wink
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 13:40
Tool is a really good band but one doesn't compete with Kayo Dot Smile
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 13:45
Tool, partially because I like them and partially because I'm not a Kayo Dot fan. 
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 14:04
I think both bands are no great shakes, so Tool is lesser of two evils after all.Sleepy
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:12
I love Tool  but  I don't really think they are prog

Kayo Dot is OK

voted for Tool
Prog On!
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 06:12

Where do us DT "think they're OK and have a few good albums but are seriously overhyped" sorts come into it? Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>